OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Rewatched Gone with the wind after many years of not having seen it. TCM featured it this week in honour of the film’s 80th anniversary this year.

They also had The Making Of on TCM — it cost $3 million (in 1930s dollars!) to produce and there were so many pitfalls and obstacles typical for a project of this magnitude but so fascinating and engrossing to learn of so much that went on behind the scenes.

It truly was the masterpiece of its day and some still refer to it as the greatest movie ever made. The fascination it generated in the US and around the world was something to behold.

First saw this movie in the 90s on video and fell in love with it. I love everything about it, the story, the epic element, the flawed characters. We follow Scarlett like she is the hero but she is a pure butthole. lol

There's one scene though that was almost perfect, like I waiting for Scarlett to say it and if I had to make a George Lucas-like edit I would for this movie was when sad and detroyed Scarlett raise her fist in the air and said "I promise you that Tara will rise again!". Well in my edit she would say "I promise you that the South will raise again!". I don't know why I feel this way but I think it would be perfect. :laugh:

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I watched Sound of Music 5 times and I hated it all the times, my mother bribed me to go with her since she would never go and watch a movie by herself (I don't think it was common in the 60s that women went alone to movie theatres) and dad only watched stuff like the The Guns of Navarone. I hate musicals in general and that film is ridiculous but she gave me cash so I went. :)

Is it now? please tell me where lol

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just watched I think it was episode 6 of Watchmen. It was the one with Hooded Justice’s backstory. That was a pretty damn good episode and I liked it a lot. Gives some perspective also on some of the Minutemen panels from the original comics when there were some “questions” about HJ.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just watched I think it was episode 6 of Watchmen. It was the one with Hooded Justice’s backstory. That was a pretty damn good episode and I liked it a lot. Gives some perspective also on some of the Minutemen panels from the original comics when there were some “questions” about HJ.

I thought you had soured on Watchmen. Is it a matter of the first 2-3 episodes taking some time before it takes off or do you have to have followed the comics to appreciate it?

Reactions: sandviper

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Impressive. Thanks for the recommendation.

How did you like that Gianni Morandi song playing in the early going? Favorite part: "Go clockwise."

Amazingly executed -- how destructive human nature can be on so many levels.

If it's the scene you're talking about (to avoid spoilers, I'll call it the vinyl scene), I was actually thinking about something that had nothing to do with on screen characters: the classic turntable playing old international music (in this case, a 1964 Italian song) reeks of the Parks' desire for sophistication. This is a trait that keeps popping up, starting from their house to wanting their daughter to learn English to their son's fascination of American Indians, to the home itself being created by a famous architect, it all reinforces their desire to separate themselves from the average Korean individual (such as the Kims)...

….having said all that nonsensical film study undergrad shit, I can't even recall the line you speak of :(. I'll surely watch it again once all these exams are done with and get back to you.

For me, it's all about when the Kims were stuck under the table. I knew what was going to happen, and I still was still laughing my ass off.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Watchmen? I saw the movie but I don't remember that much except that it was dark (literally, not the mood of it), is the series better than the movie and which streaming service is showing it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If it's the scene you're talking about (to avoid spoilers, I'll call it the vinyl scene), I was actually thinking about something that had nothing to do with on screen characters: the classic turntable playing old international music (in this case, a 1964 Italian song) reeks of the Parks' desire for sophistication. This is a trait that keeps popping up, starting from their house to wanting their daughter to learn English to their son's fascination of American Indians, to the home itself being created by a famous architect, it all reinforces their desire to separate themselves from the average Korean individual (such as the Kims)...

….having said all that nonsensical film study undergrad ****, I can't even recall the line you speak of :(. I'll surely watch it again once all these exams are done with and get back to you.

For me, it's all about when the Kims were stuck under the table. I knew what was going to happen, and I still was still laughing my ass off.

For me, I knew it would unravel when the Kims threw all caution to the wind, got drunk and answered the door.

As to the “go clockwise” moment, just remember the Parks laying down on their couch. :D

It was a real interesting movie — not typical.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
For me, I knew it would unravel when the Kims threw all caution to the wind, got drunk and answered the door.

As to the “go clockwise” moment, just remember the Parks lying down on their couch. :D

It was a real interesting movie — not typical.

Oh god, of course...…..derp. That and her asking for drugs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I thought you had soured on Watchmen. Is it a matter of the first 2-3 episodes taking some time before it takes off or do you have to have followed the comics to appreciate it?

Initially I did. I did take @Ozymandias advice though and stick through the first 4 episodes.

This is just my opinion, but while the series is a standalone, if you’ve read the comics, it is more rewarding. This is why I’m now getting into it which is because they are referencing actual panels from the comics which I appreciated.

I mean, I’m not like a super fan or anything, but the show is ok now that I gave it a chance.

Watchmen? I saw the movie but I don't remember that much except that it was dark (literally, not the mood of it), is the series better than the movie and which streaming service is showing it?

The movie was so-so in my opinion in its adaptation of the comic. The series though is a continuation of the comic and not the movie. I believe it was episode 5, but the intro flashback of the episode confirms this.

I read the comic and watched the movie but will admit this series is a little slow. It’s picking up steam now, but kind of like the comic, I think it’s going to be one of those things where you’ll like it or won’t.

Like I said earlier, you don’t have to read the comics or watch the movie to understand the show, but I think it helps. That said, my wife is liking it despite having never read the book or watch the movie. Granted, I think it’s because she’s more into the looks of the main character’s husband and another hooded character in the flashback episode, but she’s engaged in the story.

The show is dark though (literally as well). I am watching it on Crave but otherwise, there are, um, alternate methods if you want to check out an episode or two.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Initially I did. I did take @Ozymandias advice though and stick through the first 4 episodes.

This is just my opinion, but while the series is a standalone, if you’ve read the comics, it is more rewarding. This is why I’m now getting into it which is because they are referencing actual panels from the comics which I appreciated.

I mean, I’m not like a super fan or anything, but the show is ok now that I gave it a chance.

Really appreciate the added feedback. Thanks!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you're looking for light comedic shows in 30 minute increments, I have recently watched two of them and found them easy to get into and quite entertaining.

One of them is Pete Holmes's Crashing. Was only able to catch the one season currently available on Crave, on demand. Totally worth it. It's not a novel concept but Holmes's character is the difference maker. He plays the naive dimwit with gusto to such an extent that you end up feeling bad for him as he finds new ways of making life more difficult for himself. Some sexual situations, as you would expect from the comic genre on HBO.

The other that surprised me is The Unicorn, which is more of a dramedy. It's about a guy who becomes a widower and has to raise two teenage daughters. Unlike most dads in that situation, turns out he is totally in demand on the relationship market, one year after the passing of his wife. The widower is played by Walton Goggins who we've recently seen in Vice Principals and The Righteous Gemstones. Supporting cast is full of familiar faces, including Miller and Corddry who we've seen on Ballers and Michaela Watkins who was the main character in Casual. All of them playing Goggins's supportive neighbors and close friends.

I very much enjoyed how the different characters blend together and how they all handle the sensitive situation of Goggins trying to be a dad while tepidly trying out the dating scene which leads to several humorous outcomes. Great family show if you have teenagers and you're looking for something that you can all watch together without cringing. Now, good luck trying to find teenagers to watch a TV show with a parent -- it doesn't even happen on the sitcoms when a TV is on as part of their script. But hey, you can watch it without them, it's a nice, laid back show to enjoy as a couple.

Show is on mainstream TV (CBS, Global). Ten episodes available. Season hasn't wrapped yet.

Based on a true story: Yes, Walton Goggins' The Unicorn Is Based On A True Story

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw this new comedian on Lights Out, Rachel Mac. Pretty good, I think she's got something.

Enjoy.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just watched the Mandalorian. Funny how you can go through 6 x 40 minutes episodes in just about 2 hours and something instead of 4. :laugh:

First 2-3 episodes, OK, it feels like it can go somewhere. Then they just switched to mad libing. You could essentially play episodes 4 to 6 in any order and it wouldn't change much.

Good setting, characters, production value is there etc. But it sadly looks like they're already running out of ideas to keep the story moving forward.

Reactions: Edgy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
David Spade's Lights Out is coming into its own with bits like this. Old time comedy but well executed. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't think I've laughed this hard in quite some time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just watched the Mandalorian. Funny how you can go through 6 x 40 minutes episodes in just about 2 hours and something instead of 4. :laugh:

First 2-3 episodes, OK, it feels like it can go somewhere. Then they just switched to mad libing. You could essentially play episodes 4 to 6 in any order and it wouldn't change much.

Good setting, characters, production value is there etc. But it sadly looks like they're already running out of ideas to keep the story moving forward.

Episodes 4-5-6 were quite generic and boring.

Hope it picks up because im about to drop it.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just caught the last episode of David Attenborough's latest docu, Seven worlds one planet. He's such a good narrator and these story lines they come up with are great. Outstanding footage as usual.

I was so p*****ed off that they used Ophra as the narrator on of the the big series in the US that I had to find the original, because that was just wrong. Apparently someone agreed since they seem to use the original narration for series that came later. I agree, he's great and seems to be a very nice person as well.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Theirs a theory that they decided to add Yoda as a more prominent character later on in development and that they essentially wrote him into the later episodes afterwards.

I personally really like the writing style the way it is but I can see why some don't. I wouldn't be surprised to see it take on a more conventional approach next season.

It has a lot going for it. They really nailed the look, sound and feel.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
the last two episodes of rick and morty had me in tears

slut dragon!

the snakes being a constant churn of tropes was brilliant SsSsSsSSsssSSsSSS

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Theirs a theory that they decided to add Yoda as a more prominent character later on in development and that they essentially wrote him into the later episodes afterwards.

I personally really like the writing style the way it is but I can see why some don't. I wouldn't be surprised to see it take on a more conventional approach next season.

Yoda is dead in that era. It's set after Return of the Jedi.

You mean the baby from the same, we-don't-know-its-name, species.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It's a shame that besides all that, the story ain't that good.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yoda is dead in that era. It's set after Return of the Jedi.

You mean the baby from the same, we-don't-know-its-name, species.
Yeah I just call it yoda. As for the story, it was intentionally set up as these weekly mini adventures. They were going for that old style format with a vague overarching story line.

I think it works well but like I said, I understand why some don't like it and look for something more substantial. Its a common complaint and I feel like the second season will address it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad