OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
@Mrb1p yeah, I was also really impressed with the trailer of 1917.

Saw the trailer for Midway too, looks good. Won't be as good as 1917, it's a Roland Emmerich 'spectacular', but it still looks better than Pearl Harbour.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal

Saw the trailer for Midway too, looks good. Won't be as good as 1917, it's a Roland Emmerich 'spectacular', but it still looks better than Pearl Harbour.
I don’t know about Midway. Looks very shit to me. I hope I’m wrong. I’ve been waiting for some good war movies for a while. It just looks so fake and unrealistic. 1917 looks awesome.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#TheWarrior

It’s in SF. Immigration. Clans. System of corruption. Racial atmosphere. Being implicitly a slave. Projects. Richest vs poorest environment. Chinese fights and fighters never cease to amaze’ing me tho. Like their technique. Also the replies on their texts are pretty punchline’ing.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t know about Midway. Looks very **** to me. I hope I’m wrong. I’ve been waiting for some good war movies for a while. It just looks so fake and unrealistic. 1917 looks awesome.

I feel the same.

"Let's send 10 boys to defeat the whole Japanese fleet"

Yeah feels like Pearl Harbor 2.

Though 1917 feels like another Saving Private Ryan. I'm probably still more interested in 1917 than Midway.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
About the Expanse, now, they are actually showing something right for the first time in cinema (or at least, for the first time I have ever seen).

What happen if you're in space and you get blown outside without your space suit? Most movies, like Mission to Mars, show us that astronauts instantly freeze if they remove a part of their spacesuit. But, in reality, space isn't that cold. It's just emptiness. That void will fill your lungs first and you will probably die from being unable to breathe before dying from "cold". Your body will then freeze over.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah Midway looks like its gonna be pretty dumb. I dont know, Ill see it anyway.

Hopefully its not a movie about the attack on Pearl Harbor... since its named MIDWAY :sarcasm:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Deuce

The 42nd street of NY. Bars. Cinemas. Cops daily life. Gays nation. Illicit massage centres. Feminists. The Mafia's stuffs. Nigthclubs. Pimpsdou. The sidewalks. The sida. The xxxdou industries. 42/10 lol.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If you wanna laugh, check out Fleabag. Great English comedy. Too bad it's only 12 episodes long.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The original based on a true story was good,no idea how they re-create this one as accurately.

I thought it was terrible, actually. Nothing much happened and it's one of Wayne's weakest efforts. I thought they picked the right one to remake(although it doesn't mean the new will be good either).

BTW Ozymandias, the first three episode of the last season of Black Sails are pretty good so far. I'm hoping you were wrong. ;)

Silver's gruff new friend is scary and badass as Hell. Blackbeard though....

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The most average world war 2 documentary that I've seen is vastly more interesting than the best world war 2 dramatization movie that I've seen.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Had time to think about the Joker some more and I think I like it even less. Probably my biggest disappoint.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
peaky blinders isnt it anymore. f***... Why does Thomas have to strike a deal with every f***ing enemy he has ? Go to war with the billy boys already, let the gypsies loose.
I do appreciate a few things, Mosley is a nice addition and the Billy Boys themselves are a cool add to the show.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Deuce2

Continuation of Deuce. Same storyline. LA is on the map too.

#Deuce3

Their real estate boom really appealed me. It marked the revival of the Big Apple. The appearance of cocaine. Generational changes.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
With the disappointment of the end of GoT I have heard many people comparing this to Breaking Bad and how it was the perfect ending and it was an example of how to do it. Personally I was always mixed about that ending. I liked Walter(yes even after all he did) but I also felt like it was too "perfect" almost like a super-hero ending killing all the bad guys with a magical device. Another "ending" that people liked was the end of Avengers Endgame. Looking at these two examples, both were not particularly innovative endings for the viewers but looked at as a "success" and to me the corrolation between the two was this: people even if they will not admit it, love a winner. If for instance Jon Snow at the end of GoT would have been more forceful and would have become King, I have the feeling far more people would have loved the ending. Personally I would have hated it but I think it would have a popular one. Maybe it's a cynical view, but this is something I have noticed over time. Am I wrong to think this?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Third season of Goliath is spectacular. So far it's giving me the vibes of Justified based on the dialogues alone. They are just that sharp.

They have surely tightened the writing screws.

You can also feel the show's confidence by now with all those "off-script" sequences. It takes an expert hand to plant those in without it all feeling random.

This is good stuff folks, I hope you're not missing out. The cast is superb here, top to bottom.

EDIT: Just a word of warning - this is nothing like the previous two seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinodebino

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With the disappointment of the end of GoT I have heard many people comparing this to Breaking Bad and how it was the perfect ending and it was an example of how to do it. Personally I was always mixed about that ending. I liked Walter(yes even after all he did) but I also felt like it was too "perfect" almost like a super-hero ending killing all the bad guys with a magical device. Another "ending" that people liked was the end of Avengers Endgame. Looking at these two examples, both were not particularly innovative endings for the viewers but looked at as a "success" and to me the corrolation between the two was this: people even if they will not admit it, love a winner. If for instance Jon Snow at the end of GoT would have been more forceful and would have become King, I have the feeling far more people would have loved the ending. Personally I would have hated it but I think it would have a popular one. Maybe it's a cynical view, but this is something I have noticed over time. Am I wrong to think this?

I don’t think people hated the GOT final just because they didn’t get want they wanted to see, I think it was just bad all around and the endding just multiplied the reaction. GOT finale season just wasn’t up to par with the rest of the series.

The breaking bad endding might of been too perfect but it was just better crafted and the finale season was closer to the standard set by the rest of the serie.

Endgame endding is very cheesy but people enjoyed the reste of the movie and it work with that kind of movie. I think any endding can work if the storytelling and everything is done properly but it hard to imagine that most people would of like a endding with a twist like The Mist at the end of a marvel movie than again if they had done it they probably would still have done a better job than GOT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad