OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Decided to pop in Your Name (2016), directed by Makato Shinkai.

Your-Name-Ribbon-625x352.jpg

It's not a perfect film, not even close. While I enjoyed the soundtrack, it can be repetitive at times, and the plot does go a touch haywire towards the end. The animation style is gorgeous, but perhaps not as absorbing or "soulful" as Studio Ghibli's stuff. Ending was, perhaps, too obvious.

But obvious is not always a bad thing.

8/10

Give a shot to Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) if you haven't already.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Time for the most obvious comment ever made in this thread:

Classic Simpsons is so good. I'm watching it on Disney+ right now and laughing out loud a few times an episode. I haven't watched much of this show at all in the past few years

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
The Irishman was great. Classic Scorsese. This was the best performance by DeNiro in a very long time. Pacino and Pesce also delivered fantastic performances.

Although it is "slower" paced than Goodfellas (a film that this will inevitably be compared to) it never felt like a movie who's runtime is 3.5 hours. Gripping dialogue, meaningful character interactions, and many powerful scenes really make this film a great watch.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Irishman was great. Classic Scorsese. This was the best performance by DeNiro in a very long time. Pacino and Pesce also delivered fantastic performances.

Although it is "slower" paced than Goodfellas (a film that this will inevitably be compared to) it never felt like a movie who's runtime is 3.5 hours. Gripping dialogue, meaningful character interactions, and many powerful scenes really make this film a great watch.

No over acting by Pacino?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just got home from watching Knives Out. I loved it. Well acted and a lot funnier than I expected. A great homage to classic whodunits and even pokes fun at itself by referencing Clue and satirizes you’re stereotypical suspects.

Easy 9/10 for me. I was very entertained.

Reactions: ArsHabs

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
No over acting by Pacino?

He was a little over the top in a scene or two, specifically when Jimmy Hoffa blows up, but those couple of instances werent anything egregious. Even these couple of instances dont really feel out of place, considering Jimmy Hoffa was such a charismatic figure himself.

Pacino kept it together as well as could be expected given his reputation. He really was good in the film.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Irishman is a very good Scorcese movie indeed. The last 30min should've been trimmed down IMO but otherwise, very good

My only real issue was with the de-aging tech, it was very distracting for the first half of the movie

Pacino was really good in that one, I can't believe he had one more in him

Thanks, that was all I needed, I am going to catch it tomorrow.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
He was a little over the top in a scene or two, specifically when Jimmy Hoffa blows up, but those couple of instances werent anything egregious. Even these couple of instances dont really feel out of place, considering Jimmy Hoffa was such a charismatic figure himself.

Pacino kept it together as well as could be expected given his reputation. He really was good in the film.

Sounds reassuring, will go and watch it tomorrow.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I watched the Irishman last night on Netflix, I enjoyed the movie for the most part, especially the performances of Pesce and DeNiro, loved the first hour and a half but I felt that movie stalled a little (struggled to stay awake) but the ending had me fully alert.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mandalorian E4... I was so pump after the first episode but wow the script / dialogue are very bad and the action sequence aren’t great, it seem more fitting for a Saturday morning tv show for kids trying to sell toys & cereal than a actual serie on a streaming service...
Weird, I thought the first episode was the worst one. I like the comic book style approach they took to it. It's refreshing.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Pacino is a cupcake

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Pacino was incredible in Irishman, as good as an actor he is I was truly surprised he had another one of those performances left in him. The only thing that bothered me a little about the movie was some of the fight scenes with Deniro. His punches and kicks really looked like that of a 75 year old man, had trouble believing he could damage anybody. Even when he was getting rid of the guns in the river, he could barely get his hands up to throw the damn things more than 10 feet away.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Just got home from watching Knives Out. I loved it. Well acted and a lot funnier than I expected. A great homage to classic whodunits and even pokes fun at itself by referencing Clue and satirizes you’re stereotypical suspects.

A movie made by Rian Johnson that someone likes? Impossible. :)

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Let it Ride is one of my favorites. There is some wisdom for us in the film.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Was the best movie I’ve seen in 2019. Loved it

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I just watched The Witch and found it to be pretty good. If you're a fan of slow burn horror that doesn't need to rely on gore or jump scares, you'd probably enjoy this one.

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale (2015) - IMDb

Mr. Robot season 4 got off to a relatively slow start given how solid each episode has been in previous seasons. I feel like they had to shuffle some things around to fit everything into one final season rather than splitting it into two smaller ones like originally planned. Episode 7 will likely win someone or several people some awards.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mrs. Fletcher, hey now. Who's on it? I know Sheed is. Decided to check it out after he announced in one of the PGTs that he was following it.

I'm on Episode 2, liking it so far.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Mrs. Fletcher, hey now. Who's on it? I know Sheed is. Decided to check it out after he announced in one of the PGTs that he was following it.

I'm on Episode 2, liking it so far.

It's fun and provocative. Love it so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->