OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gotti

I know by heart all the scenes. Talking to the camera concept should've been the thematic.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Caught Ad Astra last night. Thought it was excellent and exactly the kinda sci-fi film I enjoy.

Reactions: Redux91

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#TheIrishman

Top notch soundtrack. Helpful white subtitles summarize the cause of their end. It's well explained with the narration. Kudos to the playback speed. It gives me always assistance. The age evolution of the main characters without changing them is remarkable. So there are dilemmas. Weightful orders. No choice to execute it without asking questions. Friendship? How to change a destiny. Union and their power. The harmful impact on a family. Living with regrets.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Started in on Better Things. Bailed in second interview. I think that after Louie, Baskets, Master of None, Bojack Horseman and others I’m a little weary is the introspective/melancholy stuff. I also didn’t really like Pamela Aldon’s character in Louie.

Started in on “You’re the Worst” which is easy enough viewing through a few episodes.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Shortest Mandalorian episode so far. Like. Less than 30min if you remove intro and credits. At least it was good enough

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Chernobyl

Well described. Science 101 that's. Directives. Protocol. Incompetency. Secrets. Honor vs compassion.

Reactions: dinodebino

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Marriage Story: 7.8/10

Knives out: 7.8/10

Both strong movies with just a little something missing to make them a classic. Craig is great in Knives out and the same can be said for Driver and Johansson in Marriage Story.

Doctor Sleep: 7.3/10 decent movie

Ad Astra: 0/10 pure garbage and pointless

Last edited:

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
After watching the 4 seasons of Gomorrah. I cant wait for this movie to arrive in north america.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I enjoyed The Big Sick on Super Channel, available on demand.

There are so many subtleties to being an immigrant to the US. This movie is loosely based on comic Nanjani's real life experience but seems real in every way. The way he creates a bond with his wife-to-be and her family while dealing with rejection from his own family, is a constant source of pressure and he somehow navigates through it as he's grappling with who is and who he wants to be. Nanjani's parents are super traditional -- they reminded me in many ways of Sugar Sammy's parents on Ces gars-là even if they were from India and not Pakistan.

The exchange that was a clincher for me was a poignant interaction with his mother when he comes clean about several secrets he had been keeping from her:

Mother: Kumi, if you don't want to be a lawyer -- fine. If you want to do the stand-up comedy and embarrass us as a family -- fine. There is only one thing that we've ever asked for you, Kumi: that you be a good Muslim and you marry a Pakistani girl. That is it, one thing.

Nanjani: Can I ask you something? Something that never made sense to me. Why did you bring me here if you wanted me not to have an American life? We come here but we pretend like we're still back there? That's so stupid. You don't care what I think. You just want me to follow the rules. But the rules don't make sense to me.

And no, that's not much of a spoiler, there's a lot more to the story.

Reactions: groovejuice

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Rocketman

Helluva choreography. Like it isn't annoying at all. Lyrics weren't random. The therapy session is symbolic itself. The kid vs the adult confrontation too.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Has anyone watched, uh, Watchmen on HBO?

I am TRYING to get into it but I am struggling and I’m only 15 minutes into the second episode.

@Runner77 - You still watching A Million Little Things? I dunno... I feel it’s been trash so far this season. I now do things like washing dishes and vacuuming while it’s playing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I am TRYING to get into it but I am struggling and I’m only 15 minutes into the second episode.

@Runner77 - You still watching A Million Little Things? I dunno... I feel it’s been trash so far this season. I now do things like washing dishes and vacuuming while it’s playing.

I never ended up giving Watchmen a chance and your post reminds me as to why I hesitated to get into it.

I saw too many irritants with A Million Little Things and gave up on it a long time ago. One of them was that it's damn boring and moves at a snail's pace. Another was that I couldn't care less about the characters, they were superficial and corny. And yet another, I cared even less about the guy who jumped and left the mess behind and all of his dumb clues so that there could be a show and a storyline for the rest of the putzes he left behind. Maybe he jumped caused they were all putzes.

Now the guy who jumped was in another much earlier role, as I'm sure you're all too aware, the main character in Office Space. Man, I wish he stuck around for a part 2. There was something about him that worked really well in that movie.

For those of you who haven't seen Office Space, it's a classic.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
IT Part 2.
You know after having seen these two movies I cannot say they brought anything to the story that wasn't in the TV series. I was waiting for a different hook but it never came. And I'm beginning to think that there's not a whole lot to this story. At least they should have explored what Pennywise was and what are his powers. Now you have an alien who feeds on fear and since children are more prey to this, his favorite victims are kids and so he chose the form of a clown cause they would more likely be attracted to clowns and yet be very fearful of "It". This is something interesting but I never thought this was delved into as much as it could. They could have done a lot with what fears does to you and what the possibilities of these powers that affects your fears could do. But I always thought this group of people always managed to easily evade Pennywise/the creature. Whereas when you are a kid since fear consumes you so easily that Pennywise should have had a very easy time to deal with them. Another element is that I don't think the creature should ever been one that eats flesh like another creature. Its powers is metaphisical and it's the souls, the spirits, that it should attempt to consume. It is the thing that gives it its powers, right.

The actors were good but they are no match for Tim Curry, Dennis Christopher, John Ritter and Annette OToole. I don't know what it is with Jessica Chastein, she is good but I always find her cold like she has no warmed especially if you compare her to Annette where you just love her every moment she is on screen.

Triple Frontier
Netflix movie with Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Pedro Pascal, Charlie Hunnam and Garrett Hedlund.

Straight up badass old school male caper. Guys seeminly former marines use their skills and knowledge to try stealing drug money in the jungle. Well made, entertaining but no bullshit. Pretty solid stuff. Netflix is perfect for this kind of material, I feel. Cause it's a good enough story to tell but not fantastic enough to waste time and money to put on the big screen to die. (since nobody would pay money to see that) I feel like both old school actioners and romantic comedies should be reserved for streaming from now on.

Reactions: dinodebino

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

You have to keep going. If you know the original story, the minutemen, the watchmen, the whole shabang, you'll start to be on familiar grounds around episodes 3 and 4. It's a sequel to the comics, 30 some years later, so there's some world building in the first three ep. Ep 5 centers around Laurie Blake and episode 6 around the original first minutemen, the hooded justice (the pappy in the wheelchair, that's him).

It becomes "watchmen" more and more with every episode. Irons is fantastic as my namesake.

Reactions: Edgy

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You have to keep going. If you know the original story, the minutemen, the watchmen, the whole shabang, you'll start to be on familiar grounds around episodes 3 and 4. It's a sequel to the comics, 30 some years later, so there's some world building in the first three ep. Ep 5 centers around Laurie Blake and episode 6 around the original first minutemen, the hooded justice (the pappy in the wheelchair, that's him).

It becomes "watchmen" more and more with every episode. Irons is fantastic as my namesake.

Yeah, the story I know very well and I am currently reading Doomsday Clock also.

Just so far, along with being slow, I am not liking the Angela character whose been the main focus this far. I wasn’t wild about Don Johnson’s either. I don’t know his name, but the most interesting character to me is the guy with the full reflective mask who worked the interrogation room in the first episode.

I’ll watch at least until the 5th episode and go from there.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I never ended up giving Watchmen a chance and your post reminds me as to why I hesitated to get into it.

I saw too many irritants with A Million Little Things and gave up on it a long time ago. One of them was that it's damn boring and moves at a snail's pace. Another was that I couldn't care less about the characters, they were superficial and corny. And yet another, I cared even less about the guy who jumped and left the mess behind and all of his dumb clues so that there could be a show and a storyline for the rest of the putzes he left behind. Maybe he jumped caused they were all putzes.

Now the guy who jumped was in another much earlier role, as I'm sure you're all too aware, the main character in Office Space. Man, I wish he stuck around for a part 2. There was something about him that worked really well in that movie.

For those of you who haven't seen Office Space, it's a classic.

I’ve only been half paying attention, but this current season, John doesn’t really seem to be a story anymore.

Along with the general cheese stories now, the acting really took a dive as they’ve started giving more screen time to the daughter and I think she’s terrible, in this role at least. In fact, all three kids are terrible and the only good actor is the baby...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve only been half paying attention, but this current season, John doesn’t really seem to be a story anymore.

Along with the general cheese stories now, the acting really took a dive as they’ve started giving more screen time to the daughter and I think she’s terrible, in this role at least. In fact, all three kids are terrible and the only good actor is the baby...

Man, that's a new low.

Meantime you have other series that are really worth it and getting terminated way too early.

I knew I had to bail after a few episodes, story was crumbling and I was getting super bored. You may be reaching that point based on what you just posted.

There is just so much good stuff out there now that you can easily walk away from a lot of stuff that doesn't entertain you and you can find better in no time.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Man, that's a new low.

Meantime you have other series that are really worth it and getting terminated way too early.

I knew I had to bail after a few episodes, story was crumbling and I was getting super bored. You may be reaching that point based on what you just posted.

There is just so much good stuff out there now that you can easily walk away from a lot of stuff that doesn't entertain you and you can find better in no time.

This show is just part of our couples time with me and the wife. I dunno, she digs this kind of drivel. I'll sit there, on my iPad or doing chores like mentioned, but I'll be "watching" so we can share some together time. Guess this is payback for making her watch all those Rambo movies while we were dating.

On a serious note, this show was good when it focused on the guys. It's not even about them anymore. Like, not at all.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Caught Ad Astra last night. Thought it was excellent and exactly the kinda sci-fi film I enjoy.

Ad Astra: 0/10 pure garbage and pointless

As I debate whether to watch this movie, I am no closer to resolving the debate. And this perfectly encapsulates how hard it must be to make something that is universally loved. Tastes are a funny thing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched Framing John DeLorean on HBO, a documentary with some re-enactments featuring Alec Baldwin.

Fascinating story.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

I don’t know if it’s a sequel but it’s loosely based of the events of the film. I was completely lost not knowing the whole story but after watching YouTube vids I’m know what’s going on now. The latest episode was much better after understanding the nuances of the previous episodes :laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don’t know if it’s a sequel but it’s loosely based of the events of the film. I was completely lost not knowing the whole story but after watching YouTube vids I’m know what’s going on now. The latest episode was much better after understanding the nuances of the previous episodes :laugh:

No, it's not based on the film and it's not "loosely" based either. It's a direct sequel to the comic. Want to know how I know? In the movie, Ozy uses Manhattan's energy signature to make believe he's the one who nuked all major cities. In the comic book, Ozy creates a fake alien invasion which's pièce de résistance was a giant pseudo-alien squid in the middle of NY. Guess which ending is referenced in HBO's series?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
No, it's not based on the film and it's not "loosely" based either. It's a direct sequel to the comic. Want to know how I know? In the movie, Ozy uses Manhattan's energy signature to make believe he's the one who nuked all major cities. In the comic book, Ozy creates a fake alien invasion which's pièce de résistance was a giant pseudo-alien squid in the middle of NY. Guess which ending is referenced in HBO's series?

Dr Manhattan mentions to Ozzy that he framed him in the last episode. Which is why I mentioned watching those YouTube videos. Prior to those vids I was completely lost. Understanding the underlying themes and characters helped me enjoy the last episode.

I say loosely based because the director called it a remix. It’s not a true reboot and it’s not a sequel. Those were Lindelofs words. It’s got new characters mixed with themes from the original.

Like D&D’s seasons 6-8 of GoT :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad