OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
John Wick 3: 7/10 Good first 30 minutes but when the movie starts to just be big guns and head shot it lose a lot of it interest just like the 2nd movie.

Casa de papel ( Money heist) season 3: 6.8/10 Not as good as the first 2 seasons

The Boys (2019) season 1: 6.5/10 Good 1st episode and the rest of the season is very average. Umbrella academy and doom patrol were better.

Dark Phoenix: 5/10 Terrible. Zero substance. It makes X-3 Last stand looks like a masterpiece .

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1___ Finally watched End Game a few weeks back. Contrarily to many, I liked it as much as Infinity War. My only beef has more to do with the impact of the 2nd snap. Like... Oh wow isnt the cast of homecoming just lucky that they were all part of the first snap, sooo random, riight, Thanos??

And that chick sequence, so forcedfed, so cringy. :facepalm::shakehead

2___ Alita, Battle Angel. Best adaptation I've seen in nearly a decade. I was mildly optimistic, but it literally blew my expectations out of the water. And Ed Norton as the bady in the sequel, now my expectations are high. Fighting sequences were great.

1- I just thought they redid IW...like, literally, let's just go back in time and change the outcome. WTF.
Hated that.

2- Pleasantely surprised by Alita, enjoyed it.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
1- I just thought they redid IW...like, literally, let's just go back in time and change the outcome. WTF.
Hated that.

2- Pleasantely surprised by Alita, enjoyed it.

1. It was far better than how the comic arc ended. How Thanos lost the stones was horrible.

2. I was meh with Alita. Visually stunning and lots of great moments but while the movie ended teasing a sequel, it’s unlikely we’ll get one.

Reactions: ArsHabs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
1___ Finally watched End Game a few weeks back. Contrarily to many, I liked it as much as Infinity War. My only beef has more to do with the impact of the 2nd snap. Like... Oh wow isnt the cast of homecoming just lucky that they were all part of the first snap, sooo random, riight, Thanos??

And that chick sequence, so forcedfed, so cringy. :facepalm::shakehead

2___ Alita, Battle Angel. Best adaptation I've seen in nearly a decade. I was mildly optimistic, but it literally blew my expectations out of the water. And Ed Norton as the bady in the sequel, now my expectations are high. Fighting sequences were great.

3___ Godzilla, King of Monsters. I'm no fan of this genre and the last one that kept my attention for the whole lenght of the movie was Cloverfield. King of monsters actually kept me pretty interested. Not as good as Cloverfield, but still entertaining. The Japanese/US co-production/collaboration made it something different, better.

4___ Menteur. Funny and entertaining, really liked it.

1. The Fem-avengers Assemble moment was horrible... Cap’s moment though just prior turned my cinema into a sports arena.

2. I liked the action, but I really enjoyed Alita’s journey of self discovery. Hoping for a sequel but not counting on it.

Haven’t seen the next two, though I was quite bored with the first Godzilla.

Sticking with comic book movies, I saw Hellboy (2019)... what absolute trash. I didn’t hate it but I certainly didn’t love it. I though Harbour wasn’t bad as Big Red, but the movie was just boring and poorly paced.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was expectimg time traveling because that was pretty much the only solution after seeing IW, and I love time travel movies.

tenor.gif

The thing about the time travel element, they have been teasing this since the introduction of the Quantum Realm in the first Antman. I get for people who only watch Avenger movies or not all MCU films, they may had been puzzled as to why this idea appears to be shoe-horned into the film.

I supposed they could have introduced a new McGuffin, like the HOTU, but that would have just complicated the story.

I don't mind time travel movies when it's in the same movie...not spread over two movies.

While time travel was teased in prior films, I don't recall it being a solution in IW. Even Dr. Strange didn't mention it as a solution in his vision quest.

ArsHabs

Nov 4, 2017
View attachment 248931

The thing about the time travel element, they have been teasing this since the introduction of the Quantum Realm in the first Antman. I get for people who only watch Avenger movies or not all MCU films, they may had been puzzled as to why this idea appears to be shoe-horned into the film.

I supposed they could have introduced a new McGuffin, like the HOTU, but that would have just complicated the story.

While time travel was teased in prior films, I don't recall it being a solution in IW. Even Dr. Strange didn't mention it as a solution in his vision quest.

McGuffin? What is a HOTU? Man, you comic nerds :sarcasm:

I haven’t seen Infinity War since it was released. I don’t remember any time travel unless we are talking about when Thanos adopted that green chick. But I think that was a flashback.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Just watched Roger Waters' The Wall - 2014. Basically not really a movie... mostly the anniversary show of The Wall album with some interruption for Waters' rumblings about stuff, but great show. I saw it live in Edmonton and it was great. Nice little memory trip. Would have been a lot better if it were just a concert and nothing else.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Its long. Really long. Theres very little character development. Theres not much happening. Theres no story. Plenty of useless dialogue.

I cant think of a worse Tarantino. But yeah, it was okay.

Kind of the feeling I got from the trailers. I’ll probaby still watch it but I’ll wait for video.

So you didn't like Back to the future 2?

BTTF2 was my favorite movie of the trilogy. I didn’t like #3 much at all though.

McGuffin? What is a HOTU? Man, you comic nerds :sarcasm:

A McGuffin I believe was a Spielberg term to describe an object or plot device that drives the entire narrative.

HOTU is the Heart of the Universe. It’s basically another all powerful glowing thing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw Kevin Bacon on one of the late shows and he was promoting this series he’s in, City on a Hill.

Within the first 3 minutes of the opening episode, don’t I hear Kevin Bacon’s character make a reference to a Bruins and “Canadiennes” game. :laugh:

Anyone on this?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This City on a Hill thing is seriously hockey-themed.

Twelve minutes in, an armed assault is being committed by individuals wearing goalie masks that bear marks like the mask Gerry Cheevers used to don. :laugh:

Later in the first episode, Kevin Bacon’s character is doing car karaoke with Rush’s Tom Sawyer blaring on his radio. Then a kid gets her face injured by another kid who hit her with, what else, a hockey stick. Canadiana at a premium.

And since it’s set in Boston, it was only a matter of time that one of the characters would mention “Southie”.

Totally reminded me of an excellent spoof that Seth Myers did a few years ago called “Boston Accent” and which also includes a reference to “Southie.” Totally hilarious, check it out:

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive started the Chef tv show with Jon Favreau and Roy Choi of Kogi. I love it. So far theyve had most of the cast of avenger, Babish, Bill Burr, and others. Its really nice and laid back and they cook some awesome straight good food. Love to see the many kitchen they have too. Roy Choi is an awesome chef and he cooks just like I did. Good lad, super passionate and you just know hes a fattie at heart.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This City on a Hill thing is seriously hockey-themed.

Twelve minutes in, an armed assault is being committed by individuals wearing goalie masks that bear marks like the mask Gerry Cheevers used to don. :laugh:

Later in the first episode, Kevin Bacon’s character is doing car karaoke with Rush’s Tom Sawyer blaring on his radio. Then a kid gets her face injured by another kid who hit her with, what else, a hockey stick. Canadiana at a premium.

And since it’s set in Boston, it was only a matter of time that one of the characters would mention “Southie”.

Totally reminded me of an excellent spoof that Seth Myers did a few years ago called “Boston Accent” and which also includes a reference to “Southie.” Totally hilarious, check it out:

It's a good series. Hard-nosed cop/legal drama with all the backstabbing you'd want - in every sense of that term.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ive started the Chef tv show with Jon Favreau and Roy Choi of Kogi. I love it. So far theyve had most of the cast of avenger, Babish, Bill Burr, and others. Its really nice and laid back and they cook some awesome straight good food. Love to see the many kitchen they have too. Roy Choi is an awesome chef and he cooks just like I did. Good lad, super passionate and you just know hes a fattie at heart.
I binged it when it first came out. I loved that movie so was awesome to see them break down some of the recipes. I cooked the Scarlett pasta a few times too, was quite good, although I switched the parsley and coriander as the market was out of it once and preferred it that way.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Decided last night to watch both Annihilation and Arrival, two more "intellectual" sci-fi films I guess.

I am not really sure about the praise for Annihilation. It was ok I suppose, but the movie I felt dragged and the whole last act and ultimately the ending I didn't really like. I know it's based on a book series, but the movie while teasing more at the end also did feel quite final. Given the director doesn't believe in sequels, I am not expecting a continuation, let alone a conclusion. 6/10

Arrival was a slower film than Annihilation; if you're looking for any sort of thrills. I thought this movie was very good though it takes some time to start showing what direction the story was going, I never lost interest. Despite the somewhat somber ending, it was a satisfying conclusion. Villeneuve's direction was also very good. 8/10

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm becoming obsessed with JOKER. Haven't anticipated a film this much since The Revenant.

It's like this perfect climax of an actor and a character. In my wildest dreams I couldn't even imagine a better pairing.

I'm just afraid I've hyped it up so much in my mind that the production can't possibly live up to it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm becoming obsessed with JOKER. Haven't anticipated a film this much since The Revenant.

It's like this perfect climax of an actor and a character. In my wildest dreams I couldn't even imagine a better pairing.

I'm just afraid I've hyped it up so much in my mind that the production can't possibly live up to it.

Man Phoenix is getting older but he's such a great actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad