OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im in the mood for a good laugh. Whats the funniest movies youve seen lately?

Ive seen What we do in the shadows a few months ago and it was hilarious, but aside from that I dont remember a movie that had me laughing like that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Man Phoenix is getting older but he's such a great actor.
I might be biased but using the word "great" to describe Phoenix is an understatement.

I challenge anyone to measure his talent against the greatest ever and then state that he's somehow inferior to more than a handful names from that list.

Pure talent-wise I am confident saying that Joaquin Phoenix is unparalleled. He's going to "destroy" the Joker character, if only the script lets him do so.

I'd go with "an icon" describing him personally.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Ive seen What we do in the shadows a few months ago and it was hilarious, but aside from that I dont remember a movie that had me laughing like that.

Go on Youtube and type Trump in the search box :sarcasm:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Not a movie but Nirvanna The Band The Show has to be one of the funniest TV shows I've seen. Season 3 should be starting soon. The only show I can think of that makes me laugh as much is probably Curb. Has to be the funniest Canadian show ever. I haven't seen Schitts Creek that everyone seems to love but I have a hard time thinking it would be funnier.

Does a great job blurring the lines between reality and fiction but done subtly (though not but it's hard to explain). It would be one of the cheapest shows to make but with the crazy copyright infringement (I can't imagine they're paying those royalties but maybe?) it could be one of the most expensive.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
For you guys who have Netflix, three great foreign films.

The Invisible Guest (Contratiempo) Spanish with English subtitles
Tambien La Lluvia (Even The Rain) Spanish with English subtitles
The Guilty Danish with English subtitles.

They have the dubbed versions of all three if you're a masochist.

These three movies are better than anything that has come out of the states for years.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I saw Booksmart with my wife and we found it funny. I mean, Toy Story and Shazam! were funny also, but not sure if those genres interest you. Always Be My Maybe was ok overall, but it did have moments I completely busted out loud.

Older movies I watched and rewatched recently was Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder. LOL, I loved those movies.

I did not love Zoolander 2 at all, what a POS.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I saw Booksmart with my wife and we found it funny. I mean, Toy Story and Shazam! were funny also, but not sure if those genres interest you. Always Be My Maybe was ok overall, but it did have moments I completely busted out loud.

Older movies I watched and rewatched recently was Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder. LOL, I loved those movies.

I did not love Zoolander 2 at all, what a POS.
Toy story was hilarious for sure.

Ill look at Booksmart, it looks good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One of my all time favorite SNL characters has always been Rob Schneider as the Richmeister (copy machine guy).

I couldn't find a clip of it that is viewable in Canada but here is Schneider being interviewed about it:

So, I'm watching David Spade's new talk show, Lights Out last night and lo and behold, doesn't Spade feature a bit with Schneider reprising his infamous Richmeister role. Hope you like it as much as I did:

Rob Schneider Is Back ‘Makin’ Copies!’, Revisits ‘SNL’ Character Richmeister For David Spade Skit

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im watching Overlords right now and that first scene is hard to watch because it was probably pretty accurate. Flying in that metal canister towards a wall of fire with a bunch of your greasy friends mustve been quite the experience.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Im watching Overlords right now and that first scene is hard to watch because it was probably pretty accurate. Flying in that metal canister towards a wall of fire with a bunch of your greasy friends mustve been quite the experience.

How was it? It’s on my to watch list.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For you guys who have Netflix, three great foreign films.

The Invisible Guest (Contratiempo) Spanish with English subtitles
Tambien La Lluvia (Even The Rain) Spanish with English subtitles
The Guilty Danish with English subtitles.

They have the dubbed versions of all three if you're a masochist.

These three movies are better than anything that has come out of the states for years.

Who else has seen these? Sounds intriguing.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Who else has seen these? Sounds intriguing.
I have seen the guilty an it's good and The Invisible Guest was already on my Watch list. From the same director of the inviible guest i have seen The mirage on nexflix and it was a good movie.

Mindhunter season 2: 7.5/10 Still interesting but a clear step below the 1st season for me

Final space : 7/10 decent cartoon

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I have seen the guilty an it's good and The Invisible Guest was already on my Watch list. From the same director of the inviible guest i have seen The mirage on nexflix and it was a good movie.

Mindhunter season 2: 7.5/10 Still interesting but a clear step below the 1st season for me

Final space : 7/10 decent cartoon

Yes, Oriol Paulo is the director of Mirage and Invisible Guest. A great Spanish writer/director. I would rate him just after Pedro Almodovar and that's because he is younger and hasn't made as many films.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some suggestions I saw on another fan forum:

Adding a new recommendation. This on was produced by Starz and I know not many of you carry it in your TV package. However, lately they produced a lot of quality TV. This one is called The Rook and Olivia Munn is part of the cast though she's not the main character. The main character is played by Emma Greenwell who I remembered as one from early seasons of Shameless. She did an outstanding job with The Rook which is high intensity spy drama with certain elements of sci-fi. It also has some Memento moments too. I waited to finish the season before giving recommendation. The shows are like are generally ranked at the very top of critics / viewers must watch series. While The Rook would need a strong followup in season 2 and forward, season 1 was VERY good TV that stands on its own.

Anyone looking for comedies should check out Letterkenny (Hulu), Pen15 (Hulu) and Derry Girls (Netflix). Derry Girls is pretty much the Irish version of the inbetweeners.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Somewhat old news, but one of the best Netflix exclusives (IMO) has been cancelled. The OA will not be back for season 3, and that's a shame, especially because the second season was much stronger than the first one. And I say that as someone who absolutely loved the season one. For those who watched both, it's easy to see how much of a feat that was to pull off given the series' premise.

Reactions: groovejuice

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just found out they are making Coming to America 2....This is about as excited for a comedy as I have ever been. Probably my favorite comedies of all time, really hope they don't f*** it up.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Somewhat old news, but one of the best Netflix exclusives (IMO) has been cancelled. The OA will not be back for season 3, and that's a shame, especially because the second season was much stronger than the first one. And I say that as someone who absolutely loved the season one. For those who watched both, it's easy to see how much of a feat that was to pull off given the series' premise.

I'm terribly disappointed. I loved that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->