OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Rutger Hauer is great, but all due respect, I think Alan Rickman (RIP) was also great at playing the villain.

Gary Oldman is also great in such roles.
Hauer and Rickman would be two very different kinds of villains. Hauer was pure physical intimidation. Great actor.

And God bless him for making Hobo With a Shotgun.

There was not even one thing that I liked about Season 3. lol Not even one.

Disaster from top to bottom. Really boring script. All the dread and scare of the first season was gone. Bad comedy with "Evil" Russian agents. Zero imagination. The whole season was basically everyone is running around like headless chicken with nothing interesting going on.

Somebody please tell me what they liked about it.
Well, I thought it was cool. Certainly better than season 2.

Just watched the Great Hack on Netflix and instantly thought of this song.

Don't know about the Netflix show but that song kicks ass.

Caught "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood" last night.

Excellent. Tarantinos best movie since Resovoir Dogs.

Decaprios is fabulous.
Pulp Fiction ftw. But this might be his best since.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Star Trek - Picard is going to blow Discovery right out of the water. Saw the trailer, looks good.

I don't see where the praise is coming from. This looks painfully ordinary, and I'm a Patrick Stewart fan. Remove him from the trailer and nobody gives 2 f***s about how generic that plot line sounds.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I don't see where the praise is coming from. This looks painfully ordinary, and I'm a Patrick Stewart fan. Remove him from the trailer and nobody gives 2 ****s about how generic that plot line sounds.
Isn't that true for most remakes. To see the original cast members always pleases fans. As far as the show itself, we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic though.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't see where the praise is coming from. This looks painfully ordinary, and I'm a Patrick Stewart fan. Remove him from the trailer and nobody gives 2 ****s about how generic that plot line sounds.
Removing Patrick Stewart from "Picard" would be like removing Spider-Man from... well... Spider-Man. The show and the main character are one. With Stewart in the role of Jean-Luc Picard, we know we're getting a cerebral show, which can't really be presented effectively in a trailer.

The show still might suck, but I'm hoping their willingness to frame a series around this particular character is a recognition of the need for smarter, deeper stories.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I started watching Snowfall last week, I was laid up in bed with sciatica nerve issues (brutal), so I was able to finish in pretty quick.

Big fan, looking forward to Wednesday's episode.

I think i'm going to get into "Vikings" as my next show

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I started watching Snowfall last week, I was laid up in bed with sciatica nerve issues (brutal), so I was able to finish in pretty quick.

You might like Black Sails, pirates and stuff.

Reactions: 417

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Rutger Hauer is great, but all due respect, I think Alan Rickman (RIP) was also great at playing the villain.

Gary Oldman is also great in such roles.

Rickman was superb! Not always a villain but any role was done spot on. He stole the movie for me in Galaxy Quest,he was hilarious.

Reactions: sandviper

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

It's rather long and drawn out,slow to be polite,interesting,but not historically accurate.

Reactions: 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

You might like Black Sails, pirates and stuff.

Vikings lost steam for me after the first few seasons. Black Sails opens stunningly but peters out badly in Season 4, its final season.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Completed Daredevil season 3. Excellent season and sucks it’s now cancelled.

Watched The Lion King this evening and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure why the critics hated it so much, but I liked it. I suppose it stayed pretty true to the original which some didn’t like, but I had no problem with it.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Despite liking the season, I completely get where you are coming from. Dread was definitely missing and the hokey comedy and generic evil Russians were silly.

However, that was why I liked it. I guess I was able to relate since I was The same age as the kids in the show during that era and the show stirred up a lot of memories for me.

For example, D&D, and outgrowing it. The fight with the friends wasn’t too dissimilar from the day my “party” broke up. I mean, it wasn’t as dramatic as in the show, but the last game I played, me and a few friends were completely distracted and the dungeon master was completely pissed.

I had a friend who came back from summer camp with a new girl friend none of us met.

One of the cool kids I knew in high school ended up working at Burger King. Granted, this is quite normal, but as a 13-year old, it was funny since I thought he’d be a #1 center with the Habs by 18.

I basically thought the show captured the essence of being 13-15 during that era. Comedies of the 80s were also cheesy and this season I also felt got most of that right.

Sure, my life didn’t have other dimensions and evil Russians with their own Terminator. However, I recall Terminator being the most frightening villain at the time (other than Vader) and I caught that reference immediately.

Finally, the music was great.

I do get though the show was different in tone and feel and I suppose why change a good thing. At the same time, I also understand it was a risk to do so. Anyhow, not saying my reasons for liking it are the norm, but as a product of the 80s, this season connected with me more than the first two, despite being that same age in the first two seasons.

I appreciate your post. You could have gone mad that I hated and denigrated the ST season so much but you simply told me what you liked about it and even though I did not like it, I get it now why some people liked it. You're a good poster buddy, don't ever change. :thumbu:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Agreed. Seems to me like a bunch of people in Hollywood and TV in general are suffering from some sort of ADHD.

In many shows and movies, you'll see lots of great scenes and pieces. But that's when you take them separately. On the whole and story wise, it rarely makes sense, though. Star Wars ep. VII and VIII were terrible in that regard.

You noticed this as well? Sometime it feels like a bunch of separate scenes instead of one continuing story.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Currently watching season 2 of Dark. It's been quite an awesome journey so far, and I can't wait to see where episode 4 leads next. It's so convoluted, suspenseful, and mysterious. Quite the mix of emotions watching it and trying to piece the puzzle, or should I say puzzles together.

Absolutely loving it.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Removing Patrick Stewart from "Picard" would be like removing Spider-Man from... well... Spider-Man. The show and the main character are one. With Stewart in the role of Jean-Luc Picard, we know we're getting a cerebral show, which can't really be presented effectively in a trailer.

The show still might suck, but I'm hoping their willingness to frame a series around this particular character is a recognition of the need for smarter, deeper stories.

Not really. Removing Picard from a Picard show would be closer to your comparison, and yeah that'd be pretty stupid. People said the same thing about tons of characters/roles, just look at Blade and Wesley Snipes. I said that the trailer as a whole and how it represents the story is about as generic as you can possibly imagine, and that if it wasn't for a singular actor being present, nobody would be interested because it looks bad. You need to hope that Stewart works some of his thespian magic, which at his age, is doubtful, or that the writers put something down that is orders of magnitude deeper than what the preview suggests. And SyFy isn't exactly chock full of success stories, you know? Outside of BG, anyway. :dunno:

Not trying to bring anybody down, was just dumbstruck at people (here and around the net) praising a very nothing trailer. I'd like a serious, intellectual Picard series as much as the next guy, but I think they're probably 5-10 years too late on getting what they'd need out of Stewart and likely undershooting the writing budget here.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Summer is for re-watching old favorites. Did Penny Dreadful, Eva Green so good in that. Now another short one, Rome. Also great comedic values I missed the first time.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Summer is for re-watching old favorites. Did Penny Dreadful, Eva Green so good in that. Now another short one, Rome. Also great comedic values I missed the first time.

Really you sensed that the showrunners/writers loved Eva and the character she was playing, they pushed her to the limit but she delivered in spades, she was pretty bold, down to the nudity. Just accepting to do that. I don't know if it's a European/French thing but I cannot imagine much American actresses willing to go that far.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Really you sensed that the showrunners/writers loved Eva and the character she was playing, they pushed her to the limit but she delivered in spades, she was pretty bold, down to the nudity. Just accepting to do that. I don't know if it's a European/French thing but I cannot imagine much American actresses willing to go that far.
Interesting that you brought that up, was reading some quotes from her the other day: Here's one from her nude scenes in The Creamers.

• [about the sex scenes in The Dreamers (2003):] It must be very shocking for the American people, but what I don't understand is why they are so crazy about that. I don't understand why you can't see naked people on screen but we can see a baby being killed. It's quite strange. They're too puritan, too uptight. [February 5, 2004]

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Currently watching season 2 of Dark. It's been quite an awesome journey so far, and I can't wait to see where episode 4 leads next. It's so convoluted, suspenseful, and mysterious. Quite the mix of emotions watching it and trying to piece the puzzle, or should I say puzzles together.

Absolutely loving it.

I don't think we've seen a lot of posts about Dark recently. I don't recall too many.

How was Season 1?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
David Spade's new talk show on Comedy Central made its debut on Monday.

Most if not all of the late night comedy we're seeing has a heavy political bent. If you're tired of it, this nightly half hour show might be worth a try.

Saw the first instalment. It had some moments, esp. when Jeff Ross was involved. The other stuff looked a lot like we've seen on other shows where there are several comedians making jokes off each other's droppings. But, it's a first show and my experience with late night shows that debut, is that they're always going to be a little chaotic and wobbly at first and eventually, they find their groove and the quality improves.

An overview:

Comedy Central said the program, “Lights Out with David Spade” would debut after its signature “The Daily Show” Monday, July 29 at 11:30 p.m. eastern. The series, will follow Trevor Noah’s evening program Monday through Thursday each week.

“Lights Out” is something different for Comedy Central – a program in the post “Daily” slot that doesn’t center on political discussion. For years, the Viacom-owned cable outlet has followed “Daily” with variations on its theme: comedic program that analyze the day’s social and political headlines. “Lights Out” will fill a place previously occupied by Stephen Colbert’s “Colbert Report,” Larry Wilmore’s “Nightly Show” and Jordan Klepper’s “The Opposition.”

Spade is expected to focus instead on news about popular culture. The series will include a rotating group of Spade’s comedian and celebrity friends, while also making use of sketches and field segments.

David Spade’s New Late-Night Show, ‘Lights Out,’ Debuts July 29 on Comedy Central

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad