OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Last thread.

When discussing Game of Thrones, Spoiler Tags should probably be in effect until the end of the week. I think five days is a fair amount of time for people to watch the most recent episode.
Really? Shouldn’t it be up to the people who haven’t seen it to avoid “spoilers”? The whole world is talking GOT. It’s not even spoiling anything, go hide in a cave if you don’t want to know what happened.

This concept makes zero sense.

Reactions: peate

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Really? Shouldn’t it be up to the people who haven’t seen it to avoid spoilers? The whole world is talking GOT.

This thread is about movies and TV, not just GoT. It's a simple courtesy to give folks a few days to catch up. Don't see what the big deal is.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
This thread is about movies and TV, not just GoT. It's a simple courtesy to give folks a few days to catch up. Don't see what the big deal is.
Annoying that I have to be “courteous” to people who can’t find an hour in their life to watch a show that aired 4 days ago. If you haven’t watched it by last Monday I don’t think you are that interested to begin with. The whole world is talking GOT, let’s shut down the internet for the 0.01 percent of casual fans who haven’t seen it yet.. Just my 2 cents.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
#ThreeBillboardsOutsideEbbing,Missouri

That was some dark drama. That was some drama too. It's not about searching the killer. It was lot further than the principal mission.
Awesome performances. I never liked Sam Rockwell as an actor, but he nailed this one. He won an Oscar for the role, didn't he?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Annoying that I have to be “courteous” to people who can’t find an hour in their life to watch a show that aired 4 days ago. If you haven’t watched it by last Monday I don’t think you are that interested to begin with. The whole world is talking GOT, let’s shut down the internet for the 0.01 percent of casual fans who haven’t seen it yet.. Just my 2 cents.
It takes like 2 seconds to do....

Reactions: dralaf

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I like Danaerys as a character. I dislike her as a wannabe queen because her entire claim is supported by the brute force of dragons. It's a cheap gimmick. Her lineage? Big freakin deal. Lots of people had a hereditary claim to the throne; they're dead because they didn't have monster script-bandaids flying through the air and burning anyone who disagreed. I prefer to see characters win because of cunning, strength, strategy, loyalty. If Dany wins it'll be because she has a dragon. It's like getting a job because your dad is president.

I know some people love the fantasy parts of this show. I'm not one of them.

I don't mind the fantasy aspects of the show actually, but I do agree. Dany just got 3 badass dragons and, well, that about it. She's not particularly savvy, you could easily argue she's pretty dumb actually. She's not a fierce warrior. Her actual skill is, well, she's fireproof, but they haven't developed that side of her.
She also managed to lose 2 dragons...

That's why I liked Margaery. Smart, manipulative, and cunning. That's who I would have wanted there.
Dany, she could have been a serious Dothraki Queen with 3 dragons.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't mind the fantasy aspects of the show actually, but I do agree. Dany just got 3 badass dragons and, well, that about it. She's not particularly savvy, you could easily argue she's pretty dumb actually. She's not a fierce warrior. Her actual skill is, well, she's fireproof, but they haven't developed that side of her.

That's why I liked Margaery. Smart, manipulative, and cunning. That's who I would have wanted there.

She's pale in comparison to Cersei. Or her grandma, Helena.

I thought Margo lost it when she bowed down to the high sparrow's ideas. She shoulda influenced weak Tomen to wipe out the sept. Queen Mama did the work instead. Best episode ever.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Really? Shouldn’t it be up to the people who haven’t seen it to avoid “spoilers”? The whole world is talking GOT. It’s not even spoiling anything, go hide in a cave if you don’t want to know what happened.

Dude, it's just courtesy.

A little civility never hurt anyone. I get what you are saying, but some people do have busy lives.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I think people are confusing spoilers with speculations. It's OK not to reveal what happened in the last episode, but even then, just don't read it if you haven't seen it. but conjecture about what will happen next should be OK. It's only a TV show after all. :sarcasm:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Yeah, I'm definitely on team-Margaery.

I thought Margo lost it when she bowed down to the high sparrow's ideas. She shoulda influenced weak Tomen to wipe out the sept. Queen Mama did the work instead. Best episode ever.
Margaery was playing the High Sparrow like she played Joffrey. Had she lived, she would've acquired her grandma's wisdom and quiet control, not to mention the throne. Thinking about it now, those two characters were among my favourites. Perfect balance of pragmatism, cunning, and morality.

Reactions: Redux91

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Agreed...its a shame..The battle of wits between Margo and Cersei was awesome.
It seems like a different show if I compare to what we've been watching for a little while..

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
What do you guys think of the re-watchability of GoT compared to the other great TV series?

None of my favourites were flawless, but I really do feel like D&D bungled this one so hard that I just won't be bothered to revisit the series, save for maybe a little Hardhome here or The Battle of the Bastards/The Winds of Winter there.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Agreed...its a shame..The battle of wits between Margo and Cersei was awesome.
It seems like a different show if I compare to what we've been watching for a little while..
They crammed what should have been 5 seasons into 14 episodes. They ruined the show. It’s still awesome.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well the way she acquired the Unsullied was certainly savvy/cunning.

If Jon Snow ends up on the throne, it won't be because he's cunning or a great fighter, it's because he inspires loyalty. The same is true for Danny up until this season, she was able to inspire loyalty and gain followers and very little of that had to do with dragons.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If Jon Snow ends up on the throne, it won't be because he's cunning or a great fighter, it's because he inspires loyalty. The same is true for Danny up until this season, she was able to inspire loyalty and gain followers and very little of that had to do with dragons.
Well..not sure. Easy thing to say when she's had Dragons all along the way.
Fact is, if she wasn't the Mother of Dragons...she probably gets tossed around the Dothrakis becoming just an abused widow.

But yes, she gained support because of her kindness and morality, but without having Dragons to back her up, not sure that would have mattered a whole lot.

Jon Snow...well yes, if he sits on the throne, it's mostly thanks to being arguably the greatest fighter there out there. Without his combat skills, he'd also be dead long ago, and he would have never gotten the respect he's earned.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Indeed.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Well, not sure a death from two weeks ago needs a spoiler tag but I’ll add it since I am referencing a character shift this past episode.

It’s too bad they killed Jorah off, albeit as a hero and for a woman he loved.

However, I think it would have been such a great story for his arc to see the woman he loved and believed in completely go apesh*t. This would be worse than getting friend-zoned. It would make more sense for him to do something about Dany than Jon or anyone else. The amount of inner conflict it would cause him and the journey to his ultimate decision would had made some great TV, especially as Iain Glen is such a great actor.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well..not sure. Easy thing to say when she's had Dragons all along the way.
Fact is, if she wasn't the Mother of Dragons...she probably gets tossed around the Dothrakis becoming just an abused widow.

But yes, she gained support because of her kindness and morality, but without having Dragons to back her up, not sure that would have mattered a whole lot.

Jon Snow...well yes, if he sits on the throne, it's mostly thanks to being arguably the greatest fighter there out there. Without his combat skills, he'd also be dead long ago, and he would have never gotten the respect he's earned.

Her dragons were virtually useless from seasons 2 until what 5 or 6 when they had grown. She didn't even have the dragons when she was left to die by most of the Dothraki. Yet a number of Dothraki were still loyal to her, Mormont became loyal long before the dragons too. So saying she would've been an abused widow without the dragons is clearly not true. She had gotten beyond that fate before she even had dragons.

Her early strength was based on the Unsullied which she gained through cunning. It's not at all obvious that the Second Sons joined her because of dragons, it seemed very much her inspiring love/lust in one of their leaders.

And sure maybe without the dragons she would've died, but the same could be said of Jon Snow and Ghost. Without a Dire Wolf Jon Snow probably dies vs wildings. Ghost also intimidated many Night Watch members who hated him and so kept him safe, etc...

And there's no evidence to suggest that Jon Snow is anywhere close to the greatest fighter out there. He's only ever been shown as good, most of the time versus guys with little to no training. There's not much of a case to suggest he was at the level of Jamie, The Hound, The Mountain, or Brienne, too name a few. Can we even say he was better then Tormond, Jorah, Bronn, Beric, Gendry, Arya, etc...

The reason Jon Snow is where he is has very little to do with being a great fighter. He didn't become Lord Commander of the Night's Watch because he was a skilled fighter, if you remember he even felt his fighting skills should've made him a Ranger instead of a Steward. He gained the loyalty of the wildlings by saving them, not by being the best fighter, etc...

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I get how using the tags is just being nice, but if you care about not seeing spoilers then it's just dumb to start reading this thread. I mean if you care about not seeing spoilers then surely you can wait a couple days before coming to the thread and posting a movie review.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I get how using the tags is just being nice, but if you care about not seeing spoilers then it's just dumb to start reading this thread. I mean if you care about not seeing spoilers then surely you can wait a couple days before coming to the thread and posting a movie review.

It goes without saying but for example I haven't watched end game yet. If you remove the tags I will end up reading an end game spoiler just because i want to talk GOT.

I think the important thing is using your judgement. If you're talking about something that happened in season 7...then well who cares. Last episode? might as well wait.

I think there is likely to be more to spoil on the ending so it's more vital after sunday people use tags for a week.

Reactions: Redux91

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well, not sure a death from two weeks ago needs a spoiler tag but I’ll add it since I am referencing a character shift this past episode.

However, I think it would have been such a great story for his arc to see the woman he loved and believed in completely go apesh*t. This would be worse than getting friend-zoned. It would make more sense for him to do something about Dany than Jon or anyone else. The amount of inner conflict it would cause him and the journey to his ultimate decision would had made some great TV, especially as Iain Glen is such a great actor.

Iain Glen is terrific. If you haven't already, check out "Jack Taylor" on Netflix.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Too true.

So much wasted potential with the last two seasons.

Reactions: Guns n Roses
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad