OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watching GRR Martin's Night Flyers on NF. Really different from Game of Thrones.

Good so far.

WTF is going on with the launch of Velvet Buzzsaw? It was announced for today, still nothing on the app

Reactions: Runner77

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
This looks ridiculous and over the top. For all the jokes we make about comic book movies, The Avengers and crap is more grounded than this.

That said, I will be catching this opening weekend...

I'm usually one to hate on the more popcornny flicks but this looks like it might be the best F&F since the first. Not taking itself very seriously is the way to go IMO.

Reactions: spinorama

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
My brother had been watching the Last Kingdom in the last few weeks. As some people were talking about it, I also watched a few episodes here and there... until yesterday. When I came home, he was already watching that series. At 9pm, he was like "Oh I think this is the last episode". At 1am, we finally watched that last episode. I don't know much about Season 1 or 2, but 3 looked great

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am now in Park City, Utah, where I'm attending the Sundance Film Festival.

I used to live there, it's the best place in Utah, enjoy. That is where I will take my dog's ashes when he dies (I doubt it will be long, he's pretty fragile these days at 14 and 1/4) since he was born there. Going to spread it around a lake where he used to accompany me for fishing trips.
Gee, got tears in my eyes while writing this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished watching Three Identical Strangers, a CNN production. It's been the object of a lot of promos on the station and figured it was just another documentary. The premise as presented in their teaser just looked a warm and fuzzy happenstance reunification story.

I wasn't aware of the story but it did have traction when it first surfaced. The identical strangers ended up on the popular shows of the day, like the Phil Donahue Show and were interviewed by Tom Brokaw and were featured in countless magazines. How incredible. Three identical strangers living within 100 miles of each other and not knowing about one another.

I figured, oh great. They're going to be stretching that chance encounter into 2 hours where we're going to watch old movies of their childhood, their high school years and their descendants. Was I ever wrong.

What a story. There is so much more to it, that the above barely scratches the surface. I can't begin to tell you how many layers there are to that onion they keep peeling and it only gets more and more fascinating. It's one of the better documentaries I've seen and I'm not a fan of the genre.

Try and catch it, it'll knock you over. Let's just say ... appearances can be deceiving.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Di you have a Liam Neeson nightmare? lol
Neeson in racism storm over 'kill' plan

"Actor Liam Neeson is facing a major racism storm after admitting he once set out to kill an innocent black man.
He said he walked the streets with a weapon for a week years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man....Neeson said the alleged rape took place a long time ago and he found out about it when he came back from a trip abroad. The actor went on to use racially offensive language about the attacker.
He said: "She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way.
"But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.
"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

"Actor Liam Neeson is facing a major racism storm after admitting he once set out to kill an innocent black man.
He said he walked the streets with a weapon for a week years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man....Neeson said the alleged rape took place a long time ago and he found out about it when he came back from a trip abroad. The actor went on to use racially offensive language about the attacker.
"But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.
"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Terrifying :sarcasm:

Now do the Jussie Smollett hoax.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Hadn't heard of that.

It seemed more about anger than racism.

Behavior is contextual. The fact he admitted to that, is probably telling of his social circle, where he would feel comfortable enough to say those things, means people around him know he's not a racist. When we're angered, our social inhibitions go away, our compassion and empathy are reduced.

I'm not trying to excuse anything here, just saying there's more to this than a simple irrational racist

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hadn't heard of that.

It seemed more about anger than racism.
Not sure those 2 things can be separated

Behavior is contextual.
Agreed - it is, and when people associate behavior with race and want to go on vigilante missions to harm people based solely on race. It's pretty clear what that is to me.

The fact he admitted to that is probably telling if his social circle, where he would feel comfortable enough to say those things, means people around him know he's not a racist. When we're angered, our social inhibitions go away, our compassion and empathy are reduced.
I think it shows more how ignorant and not aware he is is.

I'm not trying to excuse anything here, just saying there's more to this than a simple irrational racist
I know you're not trying to excuse anything. I'm not taking it that way either.

But this is the dangerous reality that a lot of black people live in...but Liam Neeson admitting and learning from this mistake, that's the real story here. This is deep rooted racism bubbling over and manifesting itself in his comments to harm innocent people just because they happen to share the same skin tone as some sicko who raped an innocent woman.

P.S. - that's not a snide comment towards you, just a reaction to the comments i'm reading online from people attempting to rationalize this interview.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
People do realize he went out for a week looking for trouble but was unable to hurt anyone right?

He said a personal thought and struggle he should've probably kept to himself. It was a stupid thing for him to do and god forbid he did find trouble, luckily he didn't and no innocent person took the brunt of his misplaced anger.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
People do realize he went out for a week looking for trouble but was unable to hurt anyone right?

He said a personal thought and struggle he should've probably kept to himself. It was a stupid thing for him to do and god forbid he did find trouble, luckily he didn't and no innocent person took the brunt of his misplaced anger.
I'm glad he did...wish more people expressed what they truly feel inside.

Helps expose them.

Sorry...this **** just boils my blood.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Not sure those 2 things can be separated

I agree with the rest, but I wanna touch on this though. Anger and racism. I'm of the school of those who think like MLK about social equality and how racism in it's purest form is just an extention of classism. Social stratification seperates people and creates further division among those who are fighting for the scrapes. Anger is a reaction to environmental cues. It's part of our fight or flight mechanism. Anger, frustration, fear, it all stems from the anygdala, from the same place, and the amygdala is highly activated in any form of toxic stress, and there's no more stressful than poverty. We see this from both side of the fense, from all races and creeds.

Reactions: 417

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm glad he did...wish more people expressed what they truly feel inside.

Helps expose them.

Sorry...this **** just boils my blood.

I'm a strong believer that it's not about what you feel. People feel sick thoughts sometimes. If someone has lived their entire life with perfect judgement, no bias and no malicious thought then more power to them.

What does matter is not what you feel but the strength you have to resist acting on those feelings. I don't know how active Liam was in trying to get someone to confront him but either one of two things happened. 1) He didn't try very hard because it was just misplaced anger and he wouldn't hurt anyone. 2) He tried and got schooled by people who wouldn't have any of it(In other words, he looked like the asshole).

In any case, he did learn a lesson here. It's just unfortunate really. I don't know if he would've really went through with it but I'm very happy we never find out.

I'm still surprised he said this story though. He comes off terribly over something he says was a 'long time ago'.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

>goes through traumatic experience with family member
>adopts shitty outlook due to traumatic experience
> doesn't act on it whatsoever
>15 years pass and no incident whatsoever
> Admits to having an incredibly shitty outlook for about a week after his friend got raped 15 years earlier
> Admits said outlook was awful and that he was out of his mind

Honestly let's hang the f***. Why should he ever work again?

The interviewer gives every indication that Neeson is conscious of the gravity of what he is saying. She quotes him as saying: “It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that. And I’ve never admitted that, and I’m saying it to a journalist. God forbid.”
His breath reportedly “trembles” as he continues: “It’s awful. But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, ‘What the f*** are you doing?’”

No remorse! What good can possibly come from someone admitting that they made a big mistake and cautioning others not to do the same!1??!1??eleven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad