OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
No, thankfully not...but if ever that would have happened.

I'm pretty confident that whatever feeling I felt, the race of the rapist would have no bearing whatsoever on how I felt. I wouldn't even ask or care to know. It's completely irrelevant and should be.

Replace the Juusie Smollet by Travor Martin if you want (who coincidentally enough, is the anniversary of his 24th birthday today).

But hey, maybe if Liam Neeson had come out with this story before George Zimmerman decided to gun down a kid because he "looked" threatening, he'd still be alive today.

bolded: Agreed completely. Same here!

I brought up the Smollett story specifically because it's an example of a story being preyed upon by media vultures for $. They don't care about truth, they care that people are enraged so they keep clicking/watching/buying. They generate anger and use it to push through laws and loopholes that f*** all the little people regardless of color.

As for the Trayvon/George Z story, won't delve into that one as it's got it's own details and depth that will definitely take the thread off course. I've never said there aren't examples of black people getting unfairly hurt or killed due to prejudice, they surely do happen and any amount is too much, of course. There are also many cases of shitty cops just being shitty cops. Look at the Daniel Shaver killing. It had nothing to do with race whatsoever, but if fate had seen it to make Shaver black rather than white, I could only imagine the amount of spin that would have got put on it being a racially based slaughter.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The FBI huh? The same organization responsible for COINTELPRO?

LMAO!

the Smollett story may be fake, I have no idea...but there are thousands more stories that are real which will never come to light or will be whitesplained away like they typical are.
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2004.037705

You are ignoring a mountain of sociological data that shows exactly what Overlord is saying. Don't need FBI stats.

Go look at epidemiological data on NCBI (pubMed/ epidemiological data/ violence & race) and it's the same.

And it's not about pointing fingers here, and that's why I forced the root cause into the conversation because I knew this is where the conversation always starts to slide when talking about racism.

Last edited:
Reactions: overlords

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The FBI huh? The same organization responsible for COINTELPRO?

LMAO!

the Smollett story may be fake, I have no idea...but there are thousands more stories that are real which will never come to light or will be whitesplained away like they typical are.

And then we wonder why racism exists when it is normalized by crybabies like yourself.

Careful everyone, if you disagree with 417 about plekanec, black panther or politics, you'll be whitesplaining. He can only see you as your skin color once he knows it.

You don't realize that you are the racist. That's the scariest thing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Yes and Liam screwed up. I don't think anyone is crowning him a hero for being so stupid. I think he's even calling himself stupid.

And you're severely underestimating the desire of a certain group to rationalize terrorist behavior from their own.

What I don't agree with is calling it a crisis. This is something you said in another post:
Is there a certain threshold of innocent people killed for how they look that has to be reached before it being OK for it to be called a crisis?

If Liam was about to kill an innocent black man in retribution it is seen that black males(or minorities) should fear white males.

But if a black man actually rapes an innocent white woman...should white women fear black men now? Should we call all white women and warn them because of the dangers they face around black men?

No, it should be seen that blacks should fear retributions for the actions of their own unlike another racial group whose actions are never tied into the color of their skin.

This is a very real thing that you and others seem to be ignoring, simply because it may not affect you.

Of course not...that is ridiculous. Liam ****ed up and this man(whoever he is) did as well. I do not support either action and I do think claiming no harm no fool on Liam's actions are short sighed. What I do think is we assess it for what is. One man with misguided anger who didn't act on that anger. For all we know had the person had blonde hair maybe that would've been his target. What we do know is Liam was angry at the world and was looking for answers in the wrong place and with the wrong process. He's wrong, 1000000% wrong but I don't think it's that worrisome that he was angry. I would bet since WW2 some Jewish men hated Germans.

Bad events breed anger and hatred. Again, luckily no one was hurt and Liam came to his senses. His thought process was clearly wrong and I'm happy that despite the stupidity of it all he regained his senses.
The fact he didn't act on his anger (allegedly) is not the story.

The fact he associated the bad behavior of one individual with an entire race, THAT'S the story...this is something that happens with minority groups way too often.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Is there a certain threshold of innocent people killed for how they look that has to be reached before it being OK for it to be called a crisis?

Is there a certain threshold of innocent women raped by black men for people to consider it a crisis? Or is one raping something that doesn't matter?

See anyone can play this game. It was also many years ago...society has evolved since then and yes there is still issues but we're trending in right direction.

The fact he associated the bad behavior of one individual with an entire race, THAT'S the story...this is something that happens with minority groups way too often.

Of course it's bad but things improve all the time. Many years ago a man was angry and wanted to fight innocent people based on race but ended up not doing in.

15 years later things even got better. I agree in the fact that people should talk about this and not sweep it under a rug but I don't think I'd call an angry man who did nothing a crisis.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
bolded: Agreed completely. Same here!
If you agree...then why are we having what feels like a disagreement?

I brought up the Smollett story specifically because it's an example of a story being preyed upon by media vultures for $. They don't care about truth, they care that people are enraged so they keep clicking/watching/buying. They generate anger and use it to push through laws and loopholes that **** all the little people regardless of color.
Again, the Smollett story i've read/heard different things...it may indeed be fake.

It doesn't change my point of view.

As for the Trayvon/George Z story, won't delve into that one as it's got it's own details and depth that will definitely take the thread off course. I've never said there aren't examples of black people getting unfairly hurt or killed due to prejudice, they surely do happen and any amount is too much, of course. There are also many cases of ****ty cops just being ****ty cops. Look at the Daniel Shaver killing. It had nothing to do with race whatsoever, but if fate had seen it to make Shaver black rather than white, I could only imagine the amount of spin that would have got put on it being a racially based slaughter.
I don't disagree with you here...but why is it we always have to deflect from what is clear and obvious?

Why is there always a need to rationalize to re-direct and never discuss the real issue.

And that's associating behavior with color and this typically happens with minority groups?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
And you're severely underestimating the desire of a certain group to rationalize terrorist behavior from their own.

No, it should be seen that blacks should fear retributions for the actions of their own unlike another racial group whose actions are never tied into the color of their skin.

This is a very real thing that you and others seem to be ignoring, simply because it may not affect you.

The fact he didn't act on his anger (allegedly) is not the story.

1) What?

2) Why exactly do you think one group is being victimized more than another? You're basing everything off TMZ and emotions again. Bring some stats or gtfo.

3) Yeah, it's not like all white people are told to bear the burden of slavery every day, even here in Canada :sarcasm:

4) The story is that what you are angry about,'associating bad behaviour with a race' is being admitted as a major fault in his character from half a lifetime ago. You refuse to admit that the point of the admittance is to denounce the behavior.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2004.037705

You are ignoring a mountain of sociological data that shows exactly what Overlord is saying. Don't need FBI stats.

Go look at epidemiological data on NCBI (pubMed/ epidemiological data/ violence & race) and it's the same.

And it's not about pointing fingers here, and that's why I forced the root cause into the conversation because I knew this is where the conversation always starts to slide when talking about racism.
The conversation doesn't have to slide...i'm not offended whatsoever.

I just think you're doing, what no offense, but what white people typically do whenever discussions about race/racism come up...and that's deflect, it's re-direct.

No one has called you or anyone here a racist....I don't even care to label Neeson a racist, I couldn't give 2 ****s whether he is or not.

To me, as soon as you associate behavior with race...then you are what you are and that's for you to own.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The conversation doesn't have to slide...i'm not offended whatsoever.

I just think you're doing, what no offense, but what white people typically do whenever discussions about race/racism come up...and that's deflect, it's re-direct.

No one has called you or anyone here a racist....I don't even care to label Neeson a racist, I couldn't give 2 ****s whether he is or not.

To me, as soon as you associate behavior with race...then you are what you are and that's for you to own.

QED

GOODNIGHT

Reactions: cajmonkey

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And then we wonder why racism exists when it is normalized by crybabies like yourself.
Maybe you're ignorant about why racism exists...i'm unfortunately too aware.

Careful everyone, if you disagree with 417 about plekanec, black panther or politics, you'll be whitesplaining. He can only see you as your skin color once he knows it.

You don't realize that you are the racist. That's the scariest thing.
I'm racist? lol

I'll make sure to remind my white canadian wife and my bi-racial children how much I truly hate them tonight lol

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Maybe you're ignorant about why racism exists...i'm unfortunately too aware.

I'm racist? lol

I'll make sure to remind my white canadian wife and my bi-racial children how much I truly hate them tonight lol

You know there dudes with racist views with black wives right? It's not like being a racist means you wish death on the other, there's shades of gray for sure, as we're seeing. Also, would you accept the 'I have black friends' excuse? I know you wouldn't, so using it yourself is a little tacky.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The fact that you think those two are even remotely relatable - is again, typical.

yeah, how can associating a particular behaviour like deflecting to white people be at all relatable to associating behaviours to particular groups of people. CRAZY.

Your presence in the thread is literally deteriorating into racism, ad hominems and one liners. Time to reflect.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You know there dudes with racist views with black wives right? It's not like being a racist means you wish death on the other, there's shades of gray for sure, as we're seeing. Also, would you accept the 'I have black friends' excuse? I know you wouldn't, so using it yourself is a little tacky.
What's tacky is calling someone racist based on nothing at all...i'm not sure what I could have wrote to make you think i'm racist or have racist views.

There's nothing here...we're having a conversation i've not attacked or accused you of anything.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What's tacky is calling someone racist based on nothing at all...i'm not sure what I could have wrote to make you think i'm racist or have racist views.

There's nothing here...we're having a conversation i've not attacked or accused you of anything.

Never said I felt attacked or accused, but your 'whitesplaining' and 'sorry but white people do this' stuff is racist and only detracts from having a real argument based on facts rather than emotions.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yeah, how can associating a particular behaviour like deflecting to white people be at all relatable to associating behaviours to particular groups of people. CRAZY.
So you think me mentioning that white people have a tendency to deflect/re-direct discussions about racism, akin to someone associating the rape of a woman purported by a black person, as a a reason to hunt and want to kill all blacks?

Seriously?

I mean, I don't even think there's anything wrong with white people who deflect...it's not something that typically affects you in the West, so it's hard to identify. That's why I think its important to have these discussions, not run away from them or quote cooked up stats from the freaking FBI.

Your presence in the thread is literally deteriorating into racism, ad hominems and one liners. Time to reflect.
You're the only person whose tossed around the label "racist" without reason here...

I used to to talk about Liam Neeson and I think/thought I was justified. i've not used it to describe anyone else here.

Perhaps you're the one who needs to reflect about why this conversation bothers you

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Never said I felt attacked or accused, but your 'whitesplaining' and 'sorry but white people do this' stuff is racist and only detracts from having a real argument based on facts rather than emotions.
There's nothing racist about that...if you truly think that.

Then you have no concept or understanding of what racism is.

I think it's difficult for anyone, to understand situations that don't affect them...I can't speak for how it is to be discriminated from being gay, so there are blind spots there.

That doesn't mean i'll ever deny that it exists or re-direct them to stats that say this or that...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
So you think me mentioning that white people have a tendency to deflect/re-direct discussions about racism, akin to someone associating the rape of a woman purported by a black person, as a a reason to hunt and want to kill all blacks?

Seriously?

I mean, I don't even think there's anything wrong with white people who deflect...it's not something that typically affects you in the West, so it's hard to identify. That's why I think its important to have these discussions, not run away from them or quote cooked up stats from the freaking FBI.

You're the only person whose tossed around the label "racist" without reason here...

I used to to talk about Liam Neeson and I think/thought I was justified. i've not used it to describe anyone else here.

Perhaps you're the one who needs to reflect about why this conversation bothers you

Weaksauce strawman. I'll even break it down for those watching:

What 417 wants to think I said : 'Mentioning that white people deflect is the same thing as associating rape with blacks'
what I actually said: 'Hey, I quoted you saying associating particular behaviors to groups in a post you were denouncing associating particular behaviors to groups, see the irony?'

Your logic is inconsistent and everyone is picking it apart. Mislabeling it as 'deflection' won't take you very far.

If the stats are cooked up, provide some real ones. Or respond to Ozy's link? Got anything for that? Or still arguing off TMZ logic? The only one running away from truth is you.

If you're going to toss around words like 'whitesplaining', you're going to get called racist, the same as I'd tell a friend to shut the f*** up if he told a black guy he was 'blacksplaining'.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Weaksauce strawman. I'll even break it down for those watching:

What 417 wants to think I said : 'Mentioning that white people deflect is the same thing as associating rape with blacks'
what I actually said: 'Hey, I quoted you saying associating particular behaviors to groups in a post you were denouncing associating particular behaviors to groups, see the irony?'
You interpreted and misconstrued what I said...

Your logic is inconsistent and everyone is picking it apart. Mislabeling it as 'deflection' won't take you very far.
No one has picked it apart...all you've done is re-direct, and re-shape the conversation because you don't appreciate it.

If the stats are cooked up, provide some real ones. Or respond to Ozy's link? Got anything for that? Or still arguing off TMZ logic? The only one running away from truth is you.
FBI stats and TMZ belong in the same bin....the fact you think those stats actually mean anything, says more about your ignorance and blind spot as it relates to this conversation.

If you're going to toss around words like 'whitesplaining', you're going to get called racist, the same as I'd tell a friend to shut the **** up if he told a black guy he was 'blacksplaining'.
If only you showed this much passion and opposition to the Liam Neeson story - perhaps we'd be on the same page.

But Liam Neeson hunting innocent black people didn't bother you...you couldn't give 2 f***s about that. It doesn't affect you in the least bit.

What bothered you was me saying "whitesplaining" (which in itself, is not at all inherently racist). That's bothered you..

But again...not shocking to me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Liam Neeson admits to wanting to hunt innocent black people:

"It's not that bad"...."He learned his lesson"...."he's doing society a service by talking about it"

417 says the word "whitesplaining"

"You're racist"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: don't change man

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
You interpreted and misconstrued what I said...

No one has picked it apart...all you've done is re-direct, and re-shape the conversation because you don't appreciate it.

FBI stats and TMZ belong in the same bin....the fact you think those stats actually mean anything, says more about your ignorance and blind spot as it relates to this conversation.

If only you showed this much passion and opposition to the Liam Neeson story - perhaps we'd be on the same page.

But Liam Neeson hunting innocent black people didn't bother you...you couldn't give 2 f***s about that. It doesn't affect you in the least bit.

What bothered you was me saying "whitesplaining" (which in itself, is not at all inherently racist). That's bothered you..

But again...not shocking to me.

1. No I didn't. I literally just bolded words in your own post that directly contradict eachother.
2. Provide better stats then or even acknowledge ozy's link? No? Gonna dodge that for a 4th time? :laugh:
3. There's no anger to direct at the Liam Neeson story because he's not doing anything wrong right now outside acknowledging a past mistake. If the article was 'Liam neeson plans black hunting parties every thursday night', I'd be right there with you with the pitchfork.
4. Keep doubling down on racist epithets. You can't explain how it's not racist because you know it is. You have all the platform in the world to explain yourself on any numbers of these points that you keep running away from the chance.

You don't address any points or argue in good faith, you're just here to be angry at something there's nothing to be angry about and you can't properly express yourself so you resort to insulting others and making assumptions of their life experiences.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
1. No I didn't. I literally just bolded words in your own post that directly contradict eachother.
2. Provide better stats then or even acknowledge ozy's link? No? Gonna dodge that for a 4th time? :laugh:
3. There's no anger to direct at the Liam Neeson story because he's not doing anything wrong right now outside acknowledging a past mistake. If the article was 'Liam neeson plans black hunting parties every thursday night', I'd be right there with you with the pitchfork.
4. Keep doubling down on racist epithets. You can't explain how it's not racist because you know it is. You have all the platform in the world to explain yourself on any numbers of these points that you keep running away from the chance.

You don't address any points or argue in good faith, you're just here to be angry at something there's nothing to be angry about and you can't properly express yourself so you resort to insulting others and making assumptions of their life experiences.

#3 lol... i'd be there too though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->