OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The snow and cold of the last few days is really getting to me as I hate winter (the coldnest and death of it, really) down to the very marrow o'my bones, so I thought I'd raise my spirits by watching people who have it even worst in the cold and put on the BBC Life Below Zero docuseries on NetFlix.

I think something inside many of us at times yearns for this simpler life. Although I'd never ever ever do that somewhere as cold as Alaska. Interesting series nonetheless. Good lessons on survival in the cold if ever it all goes to ****.

Reactions: Runner77

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
This one is a no brainer to me...How the hell can there be so much blood spatter everywhere after a simple fall?...
If it was just a pool that had accumulated on the floor..fine. Girl is unconscious after fall, nasty cut, could happen. We can easily see how much blood can be spilled from the head watching a MMA fight.
But if I recall correctly, blood was freaking everywhere. Made no sense.

Isn't their argument that she kept trying to get up and falling, splattering blood. Pretty weak argument imo.

From experience (my job), the vast majority of the guys that get to the point where they are detained and put on trial, did it. I very rarely see anyone walk from a murder trial.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Isn't their argument that she kept trying to get up and falling, splattering blood. Pretty weak argument imo.

From experience (my job), the vast majority of the guys that get to the point where they are detained and put on trial, did it. I very rarely see anyone walk from a murder trial.

I can't remember if that was the argument. If it was, I agree, it's very weak. That would mean she was conscious after the fall. I don't see how she falls to the bottom...remains conscious...gets up a bit to splatter some blood and finally just passes out around the same area..

To me there was just so much blood, but maybe that's making me biased. It's not unheard of for someone to fall down stairs and die from head trauma...but seeing the blood everywhere made me doubt it.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I can't remember if that was the argument. If it was, I agree, it's very weak. That would mean she was conscious after the fall. I don't see how she falls to the bottom...remains conscious...gets up a bit to splatter some blood and finally just passes out around the same area..

To me there was just so much blood, but maybe that's making me biased. It's not unheard of for someone to fall down stairs and die from head trauma...but seeing the blood everywhere made me doubt it.

SPOILER**

There was a door at the bottom of the staircase. So, I think it was that she fell at the bottom, hitting the back of head and then tried to get up, and fell in the blood with the door shut etc. It was pretty weak, but I do believe they were able to reproduce it in an experiment. Which, made it possible. Still, dont' buy it.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I was sidetracked when looking for this as the early google results linked to a 2005 version but then I found this on metacritic:

• Summary: Jean-Xavier de Lestrade's 2005 Peabody Award-winning eight-part documentary about the Michael Peterson murder trial comes to Netflix with three new episodes (as well as the two episodes released in 2013 for a grand total of 13 episodes).
  • Genre(s): Movie/Mini-Series, News/Documentary,Documentary
If I understand correctly, it is the 2005 documentary but they tacked on 3 new episodes to it.

Yup, they rehash it couple years later

There's also a major (and i no joke believe it now) theory the entire documentary doesnt discuss ONCE, and could very well be the cause of this whole thing
Having spent enough time watching this micheal peterson person and his kids, theres just no way he did this, i just dont see it, but thats just me

Edit : spoilers - The Trident shaped injury on her head always bugged me. Look it up imo.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I watched Annihilation the other day, it is part of the Amazon Prime. A bit meh I must say.
The acting was OK in general but the story a bit unlikely. I admit I jumped on a couple of occasions.

There used to be a show from a local music channel here in Montreal, with Claude Rajotte on MusicPlus (the channel), called "Le Cimetiere a CD", French for CD Cemetery. The whole concept was Rajotte doing critics of new albums that came out, and the lamest of them he would take and completely destroy them in different colorful ways.

If that movie came out in blu-ray and I did Rajotte's show, but for movies instead, guess what I'd do with Annihilation??

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There used to be a show from a local music channel here in Montreal, with Claude Rajotte on MusicPlus (the channel), called "Le Cimetiere a CD", French for CD Cemetery. The whole concept was Rajotte doing critics of new albums that came out, and the lamest of them he would take and completely destroy them in different colorful ways.

If that movie came out in blu-ray and I did Rajotte's show, but for movies instead, guess what I'd do with Annihilation??

You'd annihilate it? Low hanging fruit. :help:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I can't pretend to have the answer but do remember Rajotte tho. Very distinctive franco accent on his english, but one that sounded elegant.

You've never seen him destroy one of those CDs? Rajotte loved metal and punk so I always kinda agreed with him... helped that he was a fan of pennywise

I meant, yes Annihilation.. was meant as its own answer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You've never seen him destroy one of those CDs? Rajotte loved metal and punk so I always kinda agreed with him... helped that he was a fan of pennywise

I meant, yes Annihilation.. was meant as its own answer

LOL, I had completely forgotten about that. Where was it on, Musique Plus? I don't think I was ever able to watch a full show, it didn't pique my interest. I remember surfing through it though.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
LOL, I had completely forgotten about that. Where was it on, Musique Plus? I don't think I was ever able to watch a full show, it didn't pique my interest. I remember surfing through it though.

I only watched the destroys and his reviews when specific punk/metal albums came out... which was about 5 minutes per show lol

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
kingdom (2019) season 1: 7.5/10 Good medieval korean zombie show.

widows: 5/10 boring below average movie

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never realized how many celebrities appeared in those window cameos from the original Batman series:

• Jerry Lewis – Appeared in "The Bookworm Turns" (April 20, 1966).
  • George Cisar – Drunkard (in the theatrical feature released July 30, 1966).
  • Dick Clark – Appeared in "Shoot a Crooked Arrow" (September 7, 1966).
  • Van Williams and Bruce Lee as Green Hornet and Kato – Appeared in "The Spell of Tut" (September 28, 1966).
  • Sammy Davis Jr. – Appeared in "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes" (October 12, 1966).
  • Bill Dana as José Jiménez from The Bill Dana Show – Appeared in "The Yegg Foes in Gotham" (October 20, 1966).
  • Howard Duff as Sam Stone from Felony Squad – Appeared in "The Impractical Joker" (November 16, 1966).
  • Werner Klemperer as Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes – Appeared in "It's How You Play the Game" (December 1, 1966).
  • Ted Cassidy as Lurch from The Addams Family – Appeared in "The Penguin's Nest" (December 7, 1966).
  • Don Ho – Appeared in "The Bat's Kow Tow" (Dec. 15, 1966).
  • Andy Devine as Santa Claus – Appeared in "The Duo is Slumming" (Dec. 22, 1966).
  • Art Linkletter – Appeared in "Catwoman Goes to College" (February 22, 1967).
  • Edward G. Robinson – Appeared in "Batman's Satisfaction" (March 2, 1967).
  • Suzy Knickerbocker (pen name of Aileen Mehle) – Appeared in "King Tut's Coup" (March 8, 1967).
  • Cyril Lord as the Carpet King – Appeared in "Ice Spy" (March 29, 1967).
As a kid, I never paid attention enough to realize that they were even celebrities or that it was always the same building, the same window, same view all the time, lol.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've listened to Conan since he started. It's just that his schtick has never evolved. His bits with Andy can be quite irritating and boring. Like his "in the year 3000" bit where he and Andy used to point flashlights in their faces, never once did I laugh. They've been doing that bit for years but wearing different costumes or with a slightly different premise.

Have you seen his current 30-minute format? It really feels sterile, no band, the way he dresses, the set design is unappealing. The desk is gone, even Andy has dressed down and has lost his podium. I'm going to stop watching after all these years. I've hit a wall.

I never laughed at that either, but I also never laughed at Dave's top 10 list.
I rarely ever laughed at a joke coming from Andy.

I just saw a part of their new set..I didn't know it was a 30 min format and I really don't know why they changed so much of their set. Change for the sake of it isn't great. He's had a desk for years, it worked for him, stick to it.
It just feels weird now like he's turning into Ellen.
For the record, I love Ellen, but that's her style. Conan should stick to his.

I had stopped watching late night a while before I moved anyways. I just catch clips online, mostly when I'm wasting time...or want to put something in the background while I cook and don't care about missing tidbits.

Personally, I love Conan without Borders, his videos around the office speaking with staff I also found quite funny. I think that's his go-to, writing funny bits they film. If he's gonna change things, he should focus on building a show around that.
The talk show...I never found him particularly funny when speaking with guests and TV has evolved.
the Carson, Letterman and Leno...they never had to compete with Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and the likes, there wasn't a million other shows you could watch around 11-12pm. That's what people watched, or Sports news.
Even if you wanted to watch a movie back then, unless you went down to your local Blockbuster or Superclub Videotron, you had to be lucky to land on a channel showing an interesting movie.
I haven't checked the numbers, but I assume those talk shows are less popular than before. However, it's also obvious those guys made a more political switch given the climate since 2016. They all did so much more political satire than the previous hosts.

I agree that Conan had stopped growing at some point. Always the same similar jokes, a lot of wasting time, meh. When he was screwed over by NBC, he came back with some fresh stuff and made himself more interesting again. But I have never watched a full episode of Conan either...so, only going by some clips.

Jimmy Fallon I care little for. Myers....outside his ''closer look'' I really can't stand. Even Noah is a big meg for me. I like Colbert's wit, but that's generally just during his monologue.
Not a big fan of those talk shows in general.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
widows: 5/10 boring below average movie

That’s unfortunate. I was looking to watch it as the concept seemed interesting.

Most superhero flicks seem to be this way.

You remind me of a co-worker. The guy hates science fiction with a passion. Says the idea of aliens and spaceships is something a pubescent kid would dream up. Yet, he has watched all the major summer tentpole films like Godzilla and Independence Day and franchises like SW and ST. In fact, he just told me he got advanced seats to Alita.

Yet, he will tell anyone who listens light sabers and the force are dumb, giant monsters are stupid and robots with emotions sounds ridiculous.

He does seem to enjoy movies like Hunger Games though... interesting as he is in his 50s...

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
Just watched venom. It is poorly written, rushed and the casting is a little off. It’s watchable though but you can’t help but feel it’s a step behind other superhero movies of today.

Sony should just do the right thing and sell the Spiderman universe back to Marvel where it belongs- there is a reason why Spiderman : Homecoming was the best Spiderman movie this century and it wasn't because of Sony's involvement in it.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I started to watch the sci-fi series call The expanse. Its not a blockbuster production so the special effects are not top notch but the scenario is really interesting and intriguing. I really like it, I would recommend it for any sci fi afficionados

Reactions: ArtPeur

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That’s unfortunate. I was looking to watch it as the concept seemed interesting.

You remind me of a co-worker. The guy hates science fiction with a passion. Says the idea of aliens and spaceships is something a pubescent kid would dream up. Yet, he has watched all the major summer tentpole films like Godzilla and Independence Day and franchises like SW and ST. In fact, he just told me he got advanced seats to Alita.

Yet, he will tell anyone who listens light Sabres and the force are dumb, giant monsters are stupid and robots with emotions sounds ridiculous.

He does seem to enjoy movies like Hunger Games though... interesting as he is in his 50s...

You should make him an ironic gift and buy him Antonio Damasio's Descarte's Error

If he only knew... it's actually the only way we could created self-awareness, for the robot to sense and feel its environment and other sentient beings so it can differentiate from those and then individuate, hence self-awareness.

Our empathic/affective drives are central to our intelligence.

Have to say though, Kriss isn't as extreme as that...

Reactions: sandviper

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sony should just do the right thing and sell the Spiderman universe back to Marvel where it belongs- there is a reason why Spiderman : Homecoming was the best Spiderman movie this century and it wasn't because of Sony's involvement in it.

They would need huge money to sell it. Sony is piggybacking off the recent superhero success and the MCU. They hold the rights to a lot of random characters and are planning to milk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad