OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You remind me of a co-worker. The guy hates science fiction with a passion. Says the idea of aliens and spaceships is something a pubescent kid would dream up. Yet, he has watched all the major summer tentpole films like Godzilla and Independence Day and franchises like SW and ST. In fact, he just told me he got advanced seats to Alita.

Yet, he will tell anyone who listens light Sabres and the force are dumb, giant monsters are stupid and robots with emotions sounds ridiculous.

He does seem to enjoy movies like Hunger Games though... interesting as he is in his 50s...

Well that's not true. I like superhero movies, that's why I keep watching them despite my disappointments. They're not all bad, I enjoyed Aquaman, Kickass, a few Batmans, first Wolverine, couple Xmen, both Deadpool, and others, those are the ones that keep me coming back. Not my fault the majority though have been rather underwhelming to me, if not flat out bad.
I also don't call out people who enjoyed movies I disliked...It's totally fine if you enjoyed Black Panther.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I watched the last episode of the third season of The Last Kingdom. Really great stuff, has become much better than Vikings at this point. Strangely though there was no cliffhanger at the end. Makes me wonder if there's gonna be a fourth season.

It's a lot of fun indeed.

On a similar front, I binge-watched the season 2 of Medici and it didn't disappoint. I highly recommend it for those who like the end of medieval/renaissance years. It's the story of Lorenzo the magnificent and his struggles with the Pope/the Pazzi family. As a financial professional, the story always appealed me because the Medici some of earliest bankers in the world. I'd say season was even better than season 2.

Reactions: Kimota

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I only watched the destroys and his reviews when specific punk/metal albums came out... which was about 5 minutes per show lol

He's an odd guy. Heard on an interview he gave to SRC that he's a DJ in some techno/dubstep bar on the south shore. He's literally living at night and sleeps during the day. I've got to say though that his recommendations are usually spot on. He made me discover a few things that I would never dared listen to.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Well that's not true. I like superhero movies, that's why I keep watching them despite my disappointments. They're not all bad, I enjoyed Aquaman, Kickass, a few Batmans, first Wolverine, couple Xmen, both Deadpool, and others, those are the ones that keep me coming back. Not my fault the majority though have been rather underwhelming to me, if not flat out bad.
I also don't call out people who enjoyed movies I disliked...It's totally fine if you enjoyed Black Panther.

All good, just messing with you.

Aquaman was good. Keaton’s Batman and TDK trilogies were good (TDK as a series is my personal gold standard).

First Wolverine I hated. I thought it wasn’t X3 bad, but it was rather boring and poorly executed IMO. The Wolverine I did like, and Logan, while it has critics, is my favorite X-Men movie.

First Kick-Ass was great but second one was eye garbage.

Loved Deadpool but not so much the second one (though I still liked it).

Black Panther was ok, but a little overrated IMO.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
They would need huge money to sell it. Sony is piggybacking off the recent superhero success and the MCU. They hold the rights to a lot of random characters and are planning to milk it.

Luckily for Marvel, they don’t own that many key characters, other than Spider-Man of course, but they got that working agreement with Marvel on that.

I think the Fox acquisition is the big one for Disney/Marvel as once it’s ratified in June, Marvel gets back the Fantastic Four and X-Men, and all the associated heroes and villains.

Not sure if there is any room for the Sinister Six in the MCU as I’d much rather see massive FF/X/Avenger mashups. If Thanos survives Endgame, they can do his quest for the Heart of the Universe.

With all these characters, it’d be cool if they can somehow figure out how to adapt Secret Wars.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Luckily for Marvel, they don’t own that many key characters, other than Spider-Man of course, but they got that working agreement with Marvel on that.

I think the Fox acquisition is the big one for Disney/Marvel as once it’s ratified in June, Marvel gets back the Fantastic Four and X-Men, and all the associated heroes and villains.

Not sure if there is any room for the Sinister Six in the MCU as I’d much rather see massive FF/X/Avenger mashups. If Thanos survives Endgame, they can do his quest for the Heart of the Universe.

With all these characters, it’d be cool if they can somehow figure out how to adapt Secret Wars

And this is when I believe the popularity of the genre will start to wane.

The early and present success of the MCU is based on stories that are pretty new to the cinematic world, in their scope and presentation, but once the best major stories will have been used, the smaller subplots will tend to repeat themselves in further stories. We already see some of that and complaints about it. Imagine when they start digging into secret wars with yet more cosmic entities with big philosophical reasons and beliefs to push a certain vision on the universe. It's gonna become repetitive for general audiences pretty fast, even though the lowest common denominator is getting increasingly lower, the sophistication of cultural wants and need for originality tend to get higher no matter what. The golden age of super hero movies is coming to an end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was completely consumed by this podcast I heard today on NPR:

'New York Times' reporter David Sanger says the world's leading producer of telecom equipment, China's Huawei, will be central to the spread of a global 5G network — which could pose a major threat to U.S. national security.

I've been following the story for quite some time and saw it updated recently on Fareed Zacharia's GPS. Fascinating take on the roles Russia and China have been taking on.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A friend of mine gave me all seasons of Brooklyn 99,watched from the beginning to now.Wow,so surprised that regular Tv can make some excellent comedy.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
And this is when I believe the popularity of the genre will start to wane.

The early and present success of the MCU is based on stories that are pretty new to the cinematic world, in their scope and presentation, but once the best major stories will have been used, the smaller subplots will tend to repeat themselves in further stories. We already see some of that and complaints about it. Imagine when they start digging into secret wars with yet more cosmic entities with big philosophical reasons and beliefs to push a certain vision on the universe. It's gonna become repetitive for general audiences pretty fast, even though the lowest common denominator is getting increasingly lower, the sophistication of cultural wants and need for originality tend to get higher no matter what. The golden age of super hero movies is coming to an end.

Yeah, I agree and I think we’re already seeing some signs of that. Ant-Man for example isn’t as big a property as Captain America, and box office reflects that. For now, MCU movies have generally been well reviewed and well received, but they will eventually produce some duds.

I guess a lot will depend on the stories and creative teams. Thor I thought was a disappointment as a franchise, until they made Ragnorok. The movie essentially ignored everything Infinity related and told its own story. It took a lot of risks and succeeded.

In the end, if a character is interesting and the movie is actually good, audiences will watch it. Connecting movies simply for the sake of building a massive shared universe limits you creatively and yeah, audiences will tire of it.

Reactions: Runner77

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Just watched venom. It is poorly written, rushed and the casting is a little off. It’s watchable though but you can’t help but feel it’s a step behind other superhero movies of today.

For all of marvel's efforts into creating an expanded universe, they should have thought to introduce venom as an actual villain and have him slowly turn face. This friendly symbiote venom is a joke, feels like he was written by the same people who do dialogue for game of thrones seasons 4+. Throwaway quips for the kiddies transitioning abruptly into messy, barely choreographed fight scenes.

Loves me some Tom Hardy, though. I just feel like re-watching Warrior now.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
IMG_20190201_111631_01.jpg
Pics or it didn't happen.

This one is from this morning's screening of "Imaginary Order" in Park City's Egyptian theater. It's about a woman and mother who lives a superficially perfect life but then a whole bunch of things unravel due to various life management and sexual drama issues.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
15490553366271308428410866619262.jpg
Here the camera is facing the Sun and so the image is dark. There are plenty of nice ski slopes in the area too. Some say that they are the best in the USA.

I should have remembered to take my sunglasses this morning. Due to the high elevation, the Sun is unusually bright. It might also be hard due to the sunlight reflecting off of the snow, I don't know if it works that way.

I also ate some tasty food this morning and walked around some gorgeous art galleries.

f***, I wish that the University of Utah would hire me, then I'd get to live here, it's nice. Maybe I can just visit again next year. I wanted to see more of the festival, but I had a meeting in Manhattan earlier this week, that was in my best interest to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad