Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
>goes through traumatic experience with family member
>adopts ****ty outlook due to traumatic experience
> doesn't act on it whatsoever
>15 years pass and no incident whatsoever
> Admits to having an incredibly ****ty outlook for about a week after his friend got raped 15 years earlier
> Admits said outlook was awful and that he was out of his mind

Honestly let's hang the ****. Why should he ever work again?

That's actually the most accurate cliff notes.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree with the rest, but I wanna touch on this though. Anger and racism. I'm of the school of those who think like MLK about social equality and how racism in it's purest form is just an extention of classism. Social stratification seperates people and creates further division among those who are fighting for the scrapes.
Anger is a reaction to environmental cues. It's part of our fight or flight mechanism. Anger, frustration, fear, it all stems from the anygdala, from the same place, and the amygdala is highly activated in any form of toxic stress, and there's no more stressful than poverty. We see this from both side of the fense, from all races and creeds.
I agree with all of your post, except for the bolded - but we might be bordering on conversations too deep for this board or especially, this particular thread.

But that's an interesting perspective.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
But this is the dangerous reality that a lot of black people live in...

The dangerous reality is our economic system and how we manage human lives in our supposedly advanced civilization. The ramifications of our socio-economic system is at the base of the biggest form of violence; structural violence. Indirect, barely recognized and extremely pervasive, the logic of cyclical consumption and predatory capitalism is at the root of most of our major problems.

That's the root of the danger you see.

Structural violence - Wikipedia

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm a strong believer that it's not about what you feel. People feel sick thoughts sometimes. If someone has lived their entire life with perfect judgement, no bias and no malicious thought then more power to them.

What does matter is not what you feel but the strength you have to resist acting on those feelings. I don't know how active Liam was in trying to get someone to confront him but either one of two things happened. 1) He didn't try very hard because it was just misplaced anger and he wouldn't hurt anyone. 2) He tried and got schooled by people who wouldn't have any of it(In other words, he looked like the *******).

In any case, he did learn a lesson here. It's just unfortunate really. I don't know if he would've really went through with it but I'm very happy we never find out.

I'm still surprised he said this story though. He comes off terribly over something he says was a 'long time ago'.

And that's unfortunately, what anyone who tries to rationalize his comments/thoughts/actions, would say (and I don't mean that as a slight to you - it's a natural and common reaction based on what society has conditioned us to believe).

The story here shouldn't be about the lesson he learned...the story should be about how he went out and was out wanting to terrorize people based on the color of their skin and for nothing else. He didn't go out and try to find THIS particular individual who was responsible for it, for him, any black would have sufficed.

I mean...is it just me, or do you not have to be black to realize how freaking terrifying that is and even more, how often people think the same way???

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The dangerous reality is our economic system and how we manage human lives in our supposedly advanced civilization. The ramifications of our socio-economic system is at the base of the biggest form of violence; structural violence. Indirect, barely recognized and extremely pervasive, the logic of cyclical consumption and predatory capitalism is at the root of most of our major problems.

That's the root of the danger you see.

Structural violence - Wikipedia
I'm not denying the root cause here...you're right. It's much deeper than just color.

But none of this has anything to do with Liam Neeson's thought process at the time.

He wanted to hurt black people, any black people, because his friend got allegedly raped by a black person.

That'st he story here...that's it.

he claims he's "not racist"...yet he spent 1 week basically hunting and hoping to be provoked by any "black bastard" he could find.

I guess that's just normal behavior.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm talking about any minority group or anyone whose been marginalized or disenfranchised.

Yeah, again. You're wrong. Getting hurt or murdered is not a racial/skin color thing in the way you're making it out to be. Once again, those stats don't help your argument were we to get into them.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm not denying the root cause here...you're right. It's much deeper than just color.

But none of this has anything to do with Liam Neeson's thought process at the time.

He wanted to hurt black people, any black people, because his friend got allegedly raped by a black person.

That'st he story here...that's it.

he claims he's "not racist"...yet he spent 1 week basically hunting and hoping to be provoked by any "black bastard" he could find.

I guess that's just normal behavior.

The story is in fact much deeper than you're making it out to be. You want to be mad so you feel mad, but you don't even know what you're mad about. There's nothing about the story whatsoever that aggrandizes or excuses his thought process at the time. He himself is denouncing it. The entire thing acts as a WHAT NOT TO DO 101 of racial presumption. It is, in fact, a story that can have a really good effect on current race relations were people not so eager to find their next rage fix. It's almost like media profits off of widening the racial divide by stoking tensions :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, again. You're wrong. Getting hurt or murdered is not a racial/skin color thing in the way you're making it out to be. Once again, those stats don't help your argument were we to get into them.
It was 100% in this case...again, he WANTED to hunt and kill black people, innocent black people.

I'm not sure why you're talking to me about stats or that it's not what i'm making it out to be.

What Neeson wanted to do is clear, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He said a personal thought and struggle he should've probably kept to himself. It was a stupid thing for him to do and god forbid he did find trouble, luckily he didn't and no innocent person took the brunt of his misplaced anger.

7A688102-BFC1-4C4E-952F-03C635DAB27B.gif

In all seriousness, it was poor judgement and choice of words but what is done is done. It doesn’t excuse him but at the same time, he succumbed to emotions in a moment of anger.

Anyways, it’s not like he went hunting and looking for fights in the years since (that we know of anyways). People, including celebrities, have said and have done far worse and while I’m disappointed in what he said on a personal level, I’ve moved on.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The story is in fact much deeper than you're making it out to be. You want to be mad so you feel mad, but you don't even know what you're mad about.
I don't eh? I've never been targeted for violence or prosecution because of how I looked or what I was wearing?

You'd have to know me or have walked in my shoes to make a statement like that.

There's nothing about the story whatsoever that aggrandizes or excuses his thought process at the time. He himself is denouncing it. The entire thing acts as a WHAT NOT TO DO 101 of racial presumption. It is, in fact, a story that can have a really good effect on current race relations were people not so eager to find their next rage fix. It's almost like media profits off of widening the racial divide by stoking tensions :sarcasm:
You're right...he should get a standing ovation for having learned that hunting innocent black people for crimes purported by others is bad.

What a humanitarian...who knew this was the key to closing the racial divide.

Hopefully, for some people's sake I guess, more people come to this realization using this method.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't eh? I've never been targeted for violence or prosecution because of how I looked or what I was wearing?

You'd have to know me or have walked in my shoes to make a statement like that.

You're right...he should get a standing ovation for having learned that hunting innocent black people for crimes purported by others is bad.

What a humanitarian...who knew this was the key to closing the racial divide.

Hopefully, for some people's sake I guess, more people come to this realization using this method.

Exactly, you've made this about your own personal dealings rather than the story at hand. It's why most of your posts are emotional on this matter rather than logical.

Perhaps it's a lesson in properly dealing with trauma and not looking to stigmatize people based on their skin color? Stories like this staying secret does not help anyone. It can show someone else that while the anger they're feeling is natural, there are ways you should absolutely not go about it. Young men see that message coming from an action star. It's a good thing.

Do you honestly see anybody reading this story and coming away with a more violent outlook? Be honest.

Reactions: cajmonkey

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It was 100% in this case...again, he WANTED to hunt and kill black people, innocent black people.

I'm not sure why you're talking to me about stats or that it's not what i'm making it out to be.

What Neeson wanted to do is clear, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

yeah, follow the conversation please. I originally quoted you saying that this was a particular fear that one group had to deal with. I responded that being hurt/killed/targeted (even for skin color) is nothing particularly unique to any one group in the west. I followed that up with an invitation to delve into murder stats to further solidify my argument that it is indeed not a fear to be held by any one particular group.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Or perhaps it's a lesson in properly dealing with trauma and not looking to stigmatize people based on their skin color?
What trauma did Liam Neeson suffer?

Stories like this staying secret does not help anyone.
Agreed - I love it when stories like this come out because it exposes people.

It can show someone else that while the anger they're feeling is natural, there are ways you should absolutely not go about it. Young men see that message coming from an action star. It's a good thing.
Hopefully the guys who strung up Jussie Smollet have learned from their ways, maybe NOW they know that hunting black, homosexual men simply because they're black and homosexual is wrong.

Once again, what a humanitarian this Liam Neeson is.

Do you honestly see anybody reading this story and coming away with a more violent outlook? Be honest.
Are you that sheltered? You can't be...it's impossible.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The story is in fact much deeper than you're making it out to be. You want to be mad so you feel mad, but you don't even know what you're mad about. There's nothing about the story whatsoever that aggrandizes or excuses his thought process at the time. He himself is denouncing it. The entire thing acts as a WHAT NOT TO DO 101 of racial presumption. It is, in fact, a story that can have a really good effect on current race relations were people not so eager to find their next rage fix. It's almost like media profits off of widening the racial divide by stoking tensions :sarcasm:

Axe. Grind. Outlet.

Reactions: overlords

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
And that's unfortunately, what anyone who tries to rationalize his comments/thoughts/actions, would say (and I don't mean that as a slight to you - it's a natural and common reaction based on what society has conditioned us to believe).

The story here shouldn't be about the lesson he learned...the story should be about how he went out and was out wanting to terrorize people based on the color of their skin and for nothing else. He didn't go out and try to find THIS particular individual who was responsible for it, for him, any black would have sufficed.

I mean...is it just me, or do you not have to be black to realize how freaking terrifying that is and even more, how often people think the same way???

No, 417 I get it. Don't worry. It's a sensitive subject and you're entitled to feel the way you do.
The odd part is:

Liam Nesson says he wants to attack an innocent black man but doesn't=terrifying.

Woman actually gets raped=Yeah but what about Liam Nesson though?

I think the real victim here is that woman. The biggest idiot is the rapist and the next idiot is Liam.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What trauma did Liam Neeson suffer?

Agreed - I love it when stories like this come out because it exposes people.

Hopefully the guys who strung up Jussie Smollet have learned from their ways, maybe NOW they know that hunting black, homosexual men simply because they're black and homosexual is wrong.

Once again, what a humanitarian this Liam Neeson is.

Are you that sheltered? You can't be...it's impossible.

His friend was raped. Have you ever dealt with a rape victim you were close to? For someone that needs to lean so hard on his own personal experiences to see something wrong coming out of this story, you sure do have blinders on when it comes to empathizing with others' pain.

The jussie smollett story is a hoax. Look up kamala harris' 'modern lynching' bill that stalled in congress. One day you'll understand that most media that comes through to you is infected with politics one way or another. Hell, it may even be in this thread!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
yeah, follow the conversation please. I originally quoted you saying that this was a particular fear that one group had to deal with. I responded that being hurt/killed/targeted (even for skin color) is nothing particularly unique to any one group in the west. I followed that up with an invitation to delve into murder stats to further solidify my argument that it is indeed not a fear to be held by any one particular group.

I have to give my heart out to the fate of inuit men who are slowly irradicated by frontier white men taking up their daughters. Nobody's safe.

I want to clarify in advance, this might sound like it's intended as a joke, but it's not.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yeah, follow the conversation please. I originally quoted you saying that this was a particular fear that one group had to deal with.
It's a fear that MANY groups have to deal with, but this particular case involved a specific group, and that's the one i'm speaking about. It doesn't mean other groups don't matter or aren't part of what I pointed out.

I responded that being hurt/killed/targeted (even for skin color) is nothing particularly unique to any one group in the west. I followed that up with an invitation to delve into murder stats to further solidify my argument that it is indeed not a fear to be held by any one particular group.
Same stats that show that a particular group is more prone to be incarcerated i'm sure lol

stats eh...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It's a fear that MANY groups have to deal with, but this particular case involved a specific group, and that's the one i'm speaking about. It doesn't mean other groups don't matter or aren't part of what I pointed out.

Same stats that show that a particular group is more prone to be incarcerated i'm sure lol

stats eh...

>Won't believe crime stats from the FBI
>Believes Jussie Smollett story from TMZ

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, 417 I get it. Don't worry. It's a sensitive subject and you're entitled to feel the way you do.
The odd part is:

Liam Nesson says he wants to attack an innocent black man but doesn't=terrifying.

Woman actually gets raped=Yeah but what about Liam Nesson though?

I think the real victim here is that woman. The biggest idiot is the rapist and the next idiot is Liam.

I addressed the alleged rape...so i'm not sure why you're saying this.

I said the natural reaction should have been for him to find this particular and alleged rapist...but that's not what he did.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
His friend was raped. Have you ever dealt with a rape victim you were close to? For someone that needs to lean so hard on his own personal experiences to see something wrong coming out of this story, you sure do have blinders on when it comes to empathizing with others' pain.
No, thankfully not...but if ever that would have happened.

I'm pretty confident that whatever feeling I felt, the race of the rapist would have no bearing whatsoever on how I felt. I wouldn't even ask or care to know. It's completely irrelevant and should be.

I mean, who asks a rape victim (unless you're a cop investigating) after they've been raped about the color of their attacker? WTF does that have to do with anything?

If you need to ask...then I think that says enough

The jussie smollett story is a hoax. Look up kamala harris' 'modern lynching' bill that stalled in congress. One day you'll understand that most media that comes through to you is infected with politics one way or another. Hell, it may even be in this thread!
Replace the Juusie Smollet by Travor Martin if you want (who coincidentally enough, is the anniversary of his 24th birthday today).

But hey, maybe if Liam Neeson had come out with this story before George Zimmerman decided to gun down a kid because he "looked" threatening, he'd still be alive today.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
>Won't believe crime stats from the FBI
The FBI huh? The same organization responsible for COINTELPRO?

LMAO!

>Believes Jussie Smollett story from TMZ
the Smollett story may be fake, I have no idea...but there are thousands more stories that are real which will never come to light or will be whitesplained away like they typical are.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I addressed the alleged rape...so i'm not sure why you're saying this.

I said the natural reaction should have been for him to find this particular and alleged rapist...but that's not what he did.

Yes and Liam screwed up. I don't think anyone is crowning him a hero for being so stupid. I think he's even calling himself stupid.

What I don't agree with is calling it a crisis. This is something you said in another post:

But this is the dangerous reality that a lot of black people live in

If Liam was about to kill an innocent black man in retribution it is seen that black males(or minorities) should fear white males.

But if a black man actually rapes an innocent white woman...should white women fear black men now? Should we call all white women and warn them because of the dangers they face around black men?

Of course not...that is ridiculous. Liam f***ed up and this man(whoever he is) did as well. I do not support either action and I do think claiming no harm no fool on Liam's actions are short sighed. What I do think is we assess it for what is. One man with misguided anger who didn't act on that anger. For all we know had the person had blonde hair maybe that would've been his target. What we do know is Liam was angry at the world and was looking for answers in the wrong place and with the wrong process. He's wrong, 1000000% wrong but I don't think it's that worrisome that he was angry. I would bet since WW2 some Jewish men hated Germans.

Bad events breed anger and hatred. Again, luckily no one was hurt and Liam came to his senses. His thought process was clearly wrong and I'm happy that despite the stupidity of it all he regained his senses.

Reactions: cajmonkey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad