OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Frankly, Arenado has been the only name that has interested me of all the free agents and potential trade targets. I'm glad the Cards brass agrees. To get a fielder like him with 35+ home run potential is crazy good for the middle of the line-up. The only better piece would be Matt Chapman, but that's a pipe dream at this time.

I'm assuming Gorman is gone, which is a shame for me, but if the Rockies could somehow take a Fowler or Carpenter contract, this deal would be perfect.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Frankly, Arenado has been the only name that has interested me of all the free agents and potential trade targets. I'm glad the Cards brass agrees. To get a fielder like him with 35+ home run potential is crazy good for the middle of the line-up. The only better piece would be Matt Chapman, but that's a pipe dream at this time.

I'm assuming Gorman is gone, which is a shame for me, but if the Rockies could somehow take a Fowler or Carpenter contract, this deal would be perfect.
Yeah Chapman has defense that’s comparable to Arenado but he’s a career.250 hitter compared to a .295 average. Arenado is hands down the better overall player but hey can’t go wrong either way

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I’d love Arenado, but I would expect it to take a package of Gorman/Carlson+Hudson+++
It would probably be a sizable package, but from what it sounds like Arenado has an opt-out, so Colorado is only viewing him as someone with 2 years left on his deal, and he has a full no-trade clause. That could make the cost a lot lower than you'd expect.

I'd be fine basing something around Gorman, no guarantee he develops into a stud.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Speaking of trades, we just acquired Matthew Liberatore for a player from the major league roster. He looks like a big time prospect. Taken in the 2018 1st round, 16th overall.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Yeah Chapman has defense that’s comparable to Arenado but he’s a career.250 hitter compared to a .295 average. Arenado is hands down the better overall player but hey can’t go wrong either way
I mean, the power is comparable and this was only Chapman’s 3rd year. He’s younger, with more years of control while also being one year removed from hitting .278. I don’t think he has much of a career yet to call him what kind of average he’d hit at.

But the point I was making is that the play isn’t dissimilar from Arenado while also having more contractual benefits. It’s for those reasons that I think acquiring him is a pipe dream. Regardless, if the Cardinals acquire Arenado, I’m not going to complain.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I’d love Arenado, but I would expect it to take a package of Gorman/Carlson+Hudson+++
If that's the meat of the deal, I'd gladly give them Gorman/Hudson(+) for Arenado. Pitching/Outfield are depth positions in this system and Gorman would end up getting blocked at 3B anyway. I am a massive Arenado fan though and I would LOVE to see him in STL...there's some risk in the contract but I honestly couldn't see him opting out after 2021 but there's obviously some bias in that opinion

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Speaking of trades, we just acquired Matthew Liberatore for a player from the major league roster. He looks like a big time prospect. Taken in the 2018 1st round, 16th overall.
Liberatore is Nolan Gorman’s best friend. If you’ve ever seen the video of Gorman spinning around and catching a squish ball thrown like 1,000 MPH from like 10 feet away, Liberatore is the kid throwing the ball.

EDIT:Yeah that video right above lol. Doesn’t look like he threw it as hard as I remember, but still a cool video.

Interested to see who we gave up because he’s a consensus top 100, most lists top 50, prospect. Apparently it’s an outfielder. Bader? Martinez so he can DH? O’Neill(is there any way he’d fetch that kind of return after being moved for Mike Leake a couple years ago)?

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Liberatore is Nolan Gorman’s best friend. If you’ve ever seen the video of Gorman spinning around and catching a squish ball thrown like 1,000 MPH from like 10 feet away, Liberatore is the kid throwing the ball.

Interested to see who we gave up because he’s a consensus top 100, most lists top 50, prospect. Apparently it’s an outfielder. Bader? Martinez so he can DH? O’Neill(is there any way he’d fetch that kind of return after being moved for Mike Leake a couple years ago)?
Lol, just posted that above you.

Reactions: 542365

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
JMart+Arozerena+Comp. A pick for Liberatore+Low level catching prospect+Comp B pick.

Love JMart, but he needs to be a DH. Liberatore is about as good of a return as we could realistically ask for in return. Clears the outfield log jam and adds a really good prospect to the system. I like it.

Reactions: AVictoryDive
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It would probably be a sizable package, but from what it sounds like Arenado has an opt-out, so Colorado is only viewing him as someone with 2 years left on his deal, and he has a full no-trade clause. That could make the cost a lot lower than you'd expect.

I'd be fine basing something around Gorman, no guarantee he develops into a stud.
I just want to be clear: I’d trade Gorman in a heartbeat for Arenado.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
FWIW, Chapman's defense is a solid step ahead of Arenado's, and I say that thinking Arenado is the second best defensive 3B in baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad