OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Got home and checked the score.
NiceSilverGorilla.gif

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Hey MO, how's that Carpenter contract you signed in April looking now?
  • guaranteed salaries of $18.5 million in both 2020 and '21, and the Cardinals have an $18.5 million option for 2022 with a $2 million buyout.
  • full no-trade provision
YUCK!

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Hey MO, how's that Carpenter contract you signed in April looking now?
  • guaranteed salaries of $18.5 million in both 2020 and '21, and the Cardinals have an $18.5 million option for 2022 with a $2 million buyout.
  • full no-trade provision
YUCK!
The most head-shaking deal I’ve ever seen with the Cardinals.

Matt Carpenter sucks.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hudson finished the game with a cool 108.00 ERA.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The fact of the matter is the Cardinals just didn’t have anywhere near the offensive talent of any of the teams remaining. Certainly their approach and inability to hit any sort of breaking pitch plays into it, but they just don’t have good enough bats to compete. By all indications they’ll be letting Ozuna walk -which I think is probably the right move- but the reality is he’s at worst their 3rd best hitter, and more likely the second best behind Goldschmidt. Who’s taking those at bats? O’Neil? Carlson? Carlson looks promising but counting on him to be a key part of the lineup in his first season seems like a recipe for disaster. All of this is compounded by the fact Mo and Girsch have something like 35 million dollars tied up in Carpenter and Fowler next season. This season seems like the ceiling for this team barring some major changes. 90-ish wins. Hopefully the division has a down year. Maybe win a round then get pantsed by an actual contender.

Oh well, like I said, more college football and hockey from here on out.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He deserved better. He could have easily been out of the first with just 2 runs allowed.

Hudson was bad. 7 of the 15 pitches he threw were put into play. 4 of those were unquestionably singels/doubles and one was a sac fly deep. Another 5 pitches were balls. All told, he managed to get just 3 of his 15 pitches by a batter in the strike zone and/or with the batter swinging (including a foul tip on 2 strikes). Nothing about his outing suggested that he was about to find the strike zone before being lifted.

On Wong's error that ball was absolutely cranked down the 3rd base line. Edman made an amazing diving stop, but it forced a tough throw that was difficult to pick. That would have been arguably the best defensive play of the game had it been completed, so I'm absolutely not going to say Hudson deserved that out. That was not just a routine grounder that the infield botched.

That little bloop to right absolutely should have been an out, but that's the downside to replacing Fowler with Martinez. But at that point in the game, even if that play gets made, we are sitting at 2 outs with the bases still loaded. The Nats then hit the very next pitch thrown by Hudson for a 2 run single. So we're talking about 4 runs in the 1st at the point Waino came in.

He pitched a bad inning and would have been incredibly fortunate to be down just 2. He also showed no signs of finding it, so he either would have been lifted at the same time or very likely would have been hammered around some more.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It's going to be an interesting summer for the Cards, but I really don't get the hate for Schildt. This lineup absolutely wasn't on par with the Nationals and a lot of good players got ice cold.

Edman didn't get a hit, struck out 5 times and was walked once in 14 ABs against the Nationals but Schildt's unwillingness to bat him leadoff somehow cost us the series? Fowler was awful at the plate, but so was every single player who feasibly could replace him. Part of the reason we kept him in the lineup was to have some semblance of defensive play in right field. And then in the first inning he isn't there Martinez botches a bloop into right that felt like the nail in the coffin for the series.

Carp was awful off the bench and no one wanted him starting. Goldschmidt had 1 hit, no walks and struck out 9 times in 16 ABs in this series.

Hudson was bad yesterday. Flaherty had his worst outing in 2+ months Monday. The two of them combined for 8 earned runs against in 4 and a third innings in two do-or-die games.

What exactly was Schildt supposed to do here?

Edit: I'm not mad at the Cards and I think this summer needs to see some major decisions. I'm all-in-all pretty happy with an NLCS appearance given what this roster looks like. But I don't think Schildt is the issue. I think it is roster construction. We don't have enough good hitters so we had to tight rope wins all season with near-perfect defense and good pitching. It's not like we were benching good offense in favor of good defense. We just didn't have the good offense.

Last edited:

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Hudson was bad. 7 of the 15 pitches he threw were put into play. 4 of those were unquestionably singels/doubles and one was a sac fly deep. Another 5 pitches were balls. All told, he managed to get just 3 of his 15 pitches by a batter in the strike zone and/or with the batter swinging (including a foul tip on 2 strikes). Nothing about his outing suggested that he was about to find the strike zone before being lifted.

He pitched a bad inning and would have been incredibly fortunate to be down just 2.

His best pitches are a sinker and cutter so having guys put balls in play is not a bad thing at all and generally a goal.

Also, sinker ball pitchers can have a difficult time settling in at first as its a difficult pitch to throw perfectly as many sinkers drop out of the zone or are left high in the zone when adjusting to throw it for a strike.

Those factors unquestionably helped him lead the league in walks this year and why his first inning ERA this year was 5.62 and his ERA in innings 2-7 was around 3.00.

Also:
-Turner led off the game with a normal groundball single right to where Wong would play in normal defensive alignment. Rough start since Hudson did what you want.

-Soto's double down the line was actually a good pitch that painted the outside corner. Soto is just an amazing talent.

-Zimmerman's hit to Edman was a tremendous pitch that was in on the hands and actually out of the zone. The exit velocity was only 83 MPH because of the location.

Take away the Wong error and Martinez misplay on back to back plays with 1 out and Hudson gets out of the inning with 2 runs allowed. To me, that would have been a very fair representation of his start. More so than 7 runs and 4 earned.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
can someone explain how shildt got a nomination of MOY?

what kind of drugs were the voters on?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Mo, Girsch and Schildt all extended.

Cardinals mediocrity continues.

UNLESS Mo and Girsch have a grand master plan like DA.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Am I the only one that is okay with Shildt's extension? Yeah he made some mistakes in the playoffs, but on the whole he's been pretty darn good over his year and a half at the helm.
Roster construction is a major problem. That’s a Mo and Girsch thing. Maybe Shildt would be better with a better team. Maybe not. He isn’t a big focus for me, although he needs to make better decisions.

The leash on Mo is way to long. But, frankly, I am not a fan of Dewitt. He crapped on the city with BPV, doesn't spend big enough dollars despite printing money and he sticks with Mo. He is an owner that exploits the system. Most “successful” capitalists do. But, the loyalty of our fans allow it to happen, so maybe it’s shame on us.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I don't want to jinx anything but ....

EN2-M2dX4AAuWar.jpg:large

All of our hopes and dreams now rest in the hands of this man:

4f048b9745eaf.preview-300.jpg

May God help us all

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Incarcerated Bob, the guy who broke the Goldschmidt trade, tweeted a couple days ago that either we were the most aggressive after him or Colorado was most aggressive with us in a deal. Still in early stages though.

His tweets are not protected though...

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Incarcerated Bob, the guy who broke the Goldschmidt trade, tweeted a couple days ago that either we were the most aggressive after him or Colorado was most aggressive with us in a deal. Still in early stages though.

His tweets are not protected though...
Yep Cards and Cubs are the only teams reported so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad