OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
In honor of opening day, I thought I'd get a little Cards thread a rollin'.

Here's to a successful season!

adam-wainright-strikes-out-pedro-alvarez-b.gif

giphy.gif

bbuuxf4.jpg

upload_2019-3-28_10-48-56.png

jose-martinez-of-the-st-louis-cardinals-celebrates-with-marcell-ozuna-picture-id956108700

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
At least with the blues 3 days off I have something to waste my time on today. Go Cards!

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
They need to get back into the postseason. I think not having Matheny around is good for probably another 5 wins. The only thing I’m really worried about is the starting outfield is one big question mark, specifically offensively. I’ll be interested to see how long the leash is for Fowler especially with Martinez and O’Neil on the bench. Should be an interesting season and hopefully one that results in another NL Central title at the least.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Cardinals get 81 wins, miss the playoffs, bow tie boy raises nose in the air because they still draw over 3 million ticket buyers.
Ahhh so you're one of those. Being one of the most successful teams in professional sports for over a decade just isn't quite good enough.

It's amazing how bitter Cards fans are. 2004-2016 was one of the most successful runs any team has ever had. They were consistently excellent for that entire time, winning division titles, pennants, and championships along the way. That's probably not going to happen for the Cards again for as long as we live. We have two poor seasons(and not even THAT bad of seasons, they would've been playoff seasons in the NHL) and people mock the GM and call the owner cheap(after he just signed the most expensive contract in the team's history). Spoiled brats.

I'm looking forward to this season. There are quite a few question marks, but some intriguing potential both in the lineup and on the mound. We should be playing meaningful baseball the entire season once again. If Ozuna and Fowler can return to 2017 form this lineup could be lethal. If not, Tyler O'Neill should see plenty of action and he's a very exciting young player. Should be a tough battle in the Central. I'm ready for it.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
As a St. Louis based Cubs fan, I hope the Cards have a good, healthy, 4th place season.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
As a loyal Rhode Island Cardinals fan, I hope the Cubs are able to win 55 games this season :sarcasm:

Thing is mine is realistic while yours isn’t :)

Mainly cause the Central is even more Juggernauty then usual with Cinci seemingly entering the race, but still.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
i'd love to stream the game as i haven't watched a Cards' opener in years, but i just about soiled myself after clicking a link in Reddit and getting a warning and frozen computer saying to call this number to unlock my computer and not to attempt to shut down for fear of identity theft. I shut down, and all appears fine...but I'd just assume not try that again.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
LINEUP 3/28/19:

1. Matt Carpenter 3B
2. Paul Goldschmidt 1B
3. Paul DeJong SS
4. Marcell Ozuna LF
5. Yadier Molina C
6. Dexter Fowler RF
7. Kolten Wong 2B
8. Harrison Bader CF
9. Miles Mikolas P

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Don't get me wrong here but I hate baseball. I root for the Cardinals and I hope they do well but god baseball is so f***ing slow and boring.

Reactions: Default

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I was raised to love them so I do.

If I wasn't born and raised in STL I'd probably hate baseball too.

Slow pitch is my jam though.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Ahhh so you're one of those. Being one of the most successful teams in professional sports for over a decade just isn't quite good enough.

It's amazing how bitter Cards fans are. 2004-2016 was one of the most successful runs any team has ever had. They were consistently excellent for that entire time, winning division titles, pennants, and championships along the way. That's probably not going to happen for the Cards again for as long as we live. We have two poor seasons(and not even THAT bad of seasons, they would've been playoff seasons in the NHL) and people mock the GM and call the owner cheap(after he just signed the most expensive contract in the team's history). Spoiled brats.

I'm looking forward to this season. There are quite a few question marks, but some intriguing potential both in the lineup and on the mound. We should be playing meaningful baseball the entire season once again. If Ozuna and Fowler can return to 2017 form this lineup could be lethal. If not, Tyler O'Neill should see plenty of action and he's a very exciting young player. Should be a tough battle in the Central. I'm ready for it.

I'm not really sure which group of supposed people you are alluding to but I'm pretty confident I'm not a member :)

I don't like baseball at all, not in its current form. My personal opinion isn't something new as the overall product and game has been in decline for quite a while. I'm sure my views are in the minority which is ok too. If my opinions were the majority Baseball wouldn't be handing out 400 million dollar contracts or whatever the numbers are. If I'm forced into a circumstance where baseball is on the TV I am uncomfortable because the fundamentals of the players are akin to watching little league. I'd much rather watch little league because at least the kids aren't supposed to know how to play the game 100%.

I see baseball, and other things, as a symptom of today's standards as a society as opposed to years past. I'll give one example.

To me, and a lot of baseball historians, Ozzie Smith is the greatest shortstop ever. If one doesn't agree he's the best ever they certainly agree he's in the conversation. Perhaps you don't know how Ozzie became a Cardinal. Garry Templeton didn't try to run to first base on a dropped strike 3 and the Cardinal fans booed. Surely nobody and I do mean nobody today can imagine the Cardinal fans booing one of their own for that type of play. Did Templeton even see the passed ball? It didn't matter to the fans at the game because of expectations. If you were a professional baseball player you were expected to hustle every play and execute the fundamentals. Expectations are far different today and as a result so is the game. Case in point Molina, Pujols, and the list goes on of players that don't hustle. Today's version of baseball is vastly different than 30 years ago and if you compare it to 50+ years ago I'm not sure it's even the same game. We're all told that athletes today are stronger and faster, and they take better care of their bodies than in yesteryear, but there's an invisible 100 pitch count barrier. There's 5 starters and a litany of relievers. Somehow with all the restrictions in place just on pitchers they find a way to get injured at a rate inconceivably higher then when there was a 4 man rotation with scarcely a reliever on the team.

I could go on all day and really pick apart the overall game but I digress. Put me in the membership of people who remember when baseball wasn't home run derby.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I'm not really sure which group of supposed people you are alluding to but I'm pretty confident I'm not a member :)

I don't like baseball at all, not in its current form. My personal opinion isn't something new as the overall product and game has been in decline for quite a while. I'm sure my views are in the minority which is ok too. If my opinions were the majority Baseball wouldn't be handing out 400 million dollar contracts or whatever the numbers are. If I'm forced into a circumstance where baseball is on the TV I am uncomfortable because the fundamentals of the players are akin to watching little league. I'd much rather watch little league because at least the kids aren't supposed to know how to play the game 100%.

I see baseball, and other things, as a symptom of today's standards as a society as opposed to years past. I'll give one example.

To me, and a lot of baseball historians, Ozzie Smith is the greatest shortstop ever. If one doesn't agree he's the best ever they certainly agree he's in the conversation. Perhaps you don't know how Ozzie became a Cardinal. Garry Templeton didn't try to run to first base on a dropped strike 3 and the Cardinal fans booed. Surely nobody and I do mean nobody today can imagine the Cardinal fans booing one of their own for that type of play. Did Templeton even see the passed ball? It didn't matter to the fans at the game because of expectations. If you were a professional baseball player you were expected to hustle every play and execute the fundamentals. Expectations are far different today and as a result so is the game. Case in point Molina, Pujols, and the list goes on of players that don't hustle. Today's version of baseball is vastly different than 30 years ago and if you compare it to 50+ years ago I'm not sure it's even the same game. We're all told that athletes today are stronger and faster, and they take better care of their bodies than in yesteryear, but there's an invisible 100 pitch count barrier. There's 5 starters and a litany of relievers. Somehow with all the restrictions in place just on pitchers they find a way to get injured at a rate inconceivably higher then when there was a 4 man rotation with scarcely a reliever on the team.

I could go on all day and really pick apart the overall game but I digress. Put me in the membership of people who remember when baseball wasn't home run derby.
Regarding you're injuries point, do you think players just have weaker muscles and ligaments today? You and I both know that is not the case. Todays pitchers throw harder and nastier stuff than ever before and are putting more and more torque on their arm. The way pitcher's pitch nowadays injuries are less so an unfortunate occurrence than an eventual certainty.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'll tell you why the Cardinals sometimes rub me the wrong way (it's not really their fault per se).

Friday's Blues game is getting bumped to the FSMW alternate channel and the Cardinals game will be on the main FSMW channel. What a crock. The Blues are in their playoff push and the Cardinals are playing their 3rd game of 162 and the Blues get bumped to the alternate channel.

It's crap like that that makes me sometimes roll my eyes when I think of the Cardinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad