OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Doubt they add 35 mill per yr in salary. And what idiot would take Carp or Fowler off our hands to off set some salary?
I think the key is staying under the luxury tax threshold, so we got $27m to play with.

Am I the only one concerned by his Colorado/road splits? The defense will always be there, but I'm not sure if he is a great hitter or just a good one.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Moved this from the general OT thread to here:

It’ll also be interesting to keep an eye on what happens to the Red Sox -and more specifically, Cora- as Cora was mentioned as being the “mastermind” behind it in Houston. That coupled with the report of the Red Sox running a similar operation from last week makes me think they might get the hammer dropped on them too.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Damn, every time I see this thread I get excited thinking "oh they must've traded for Arenado finally." Nope.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Put this in the OT thread but I guess it goes here. The Astros are pretty much a dumpster fire right now.

Astros owner Crane on Luhnow, Hinch firings

Crazy seeing Jeff Lunhow go down with the ship, especially after that whole Correa scandal a few years back. Perhaps Correa was justified all along in trying to prove that Lunhow is a sleezeball?
I’ve lived in Houston over 20 years and become Astros fan during that period. Between harassing female reporter and then this cheating scandal they don’t feel like team I can root for at this point. No issue with penalties and good for Crane to clean house.

Reactions: badmoth

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
EORPyQMW4AAfaK2.jpg:large

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Ozuna to ATL. Surely they don’t expect this lineup to contend for a pennant and WS.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ozuna to ATL. Surely they don’t expect this lineup to contend for a pennant and WS.

He signed for barely more than the qualifying offer.

I'm sure I just sound bitter but I really think the Cardinals franchise takes advantage of the fact that they'll pretty much sell out a ton of games regardless of the team on the field. It's like they know they don't have to take any risk in making the team better.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's clear we had no interest in Ozuna and that was all media speculation. Somewhere someone said we had high hopes for O'Neill this season, and it's not out of the question that he provides what Ozuna did or something close to it. This also opens a very clear lane for Carlson to get playing time if he earns it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The more interesting play would be getting Castellanos on a 1-year or 2-year deal since he won't cost a draft pick. He's a net upgrade over Ozuna, and we'd gain a pick in the process since Castellanos didn't qualify for a QO since he was traded.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The more interesting play would be getting Castellanos on a 1-year or 2-year deal since he won't cost a draft pick. He's a net upgrade over Ozuna, and we'd gain a pick in the process since Castellanos didn't qualify for a QO since he was traded.
Mo and Dewitt wont do that, cuts into their profits.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m alright with letting Ozuna go if they’re willing to give Carlson a legitimate chance to win a spot.
In a vacuum I don't really mind letting Ozuna go and letting Carlson earn a shot. But within the larger context of the team, I really don't understand what it is the Cardinals are doing. Every team has uncertainty baked into their lineup, it's just part of the game. But for a team that supposedly considers itself a contender this lineup feels like little more than a hope and a prayer. They're either counting on guys that have been declining for years (Carpenter, Fowler) have never produced at an MLB level for an extended period of time (Bader, O'Neill, Carlson, Thomas, etc.) or have trouble with consistency (DeJong, Wong -admittedly I don't have as much concern about the two of them). Half the lineup -and the entire outfield- is a giant question mark. And for a lineup that wheezed for most of the season and got pantsed in the NLCS, I don't see how this is supposed to be a World Series contender.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Carpenter hasn't been declining for years, 2018 was the 2nd best season of his career. Now it might be pretty hopeful for him to return to a 4-6 WAR season, but he hasn't been trending down outside of last season.

This team never had a chance at contending IMO, even if we acquired a major piece. Rotation still has plenty of question marks too.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Carpenter hasn't been declining for years, 2018 was the 2nd best season of his career. Now it might be pretty hopeful for him to return to a 4-6 WAR season, but he hasn't been trending down outside of last season.

This team never had a chance at contending IMO, even if we acquired a major piece. Rotation still has plenty of question marks too.
In fairness, most of the 2018 sure looked like the start of his decline. He had a hot streak of about 6 weeks in the middle of the season where he batted with around a 1.400 OPS IIRC that elevated his numbers for the entire season. Most of 2018 he was awful.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In fairness, most of the 2018 sure looked like the start of his decline. He had a hot streak of about 6 weeks in the middle of the season where he batted with around a 1.400 OPS IIRC that elevated his numbers for the entire season. Most of 2018 he was awful.
He had a weird 2018, I'll admit that. The beginning and end were poor, but the middle half of his season was MVP caliber.

I randomly took middle 76 games of his season that year from about mid-May to mid-August, and he hit .336 with an OPS of 1.164, and a 162 game pace of 62 HR and 111 RBI. He was piss poor outside of that though. I guess my point is, he was clearly still capable of elite play that year, so it's not out of the question that he can bounce back. He's always been sort of a weird hitter, either streaky or seemingly dependent on batting leadoff.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He had a weird 2018, I'll admit that. The beginning and end were poor, but the middle half of his season was MVP caliber.

I randomly took middle 76 games of his season that year from about mid-May to mid-August, and he hit .336 with an OPS of 1.164, and a 162 game pace of 62 HR and 111 RBI. He was piss poor outside of that though. I guess my point is, he was clearly still capable of elite play that year, so it's not out of the question that he can bounce back. He's always been sort of a weird hitter, either streaky or seemingly dependent on batting leadoff.
If his work with Berkman in the offseason gets him back to the all-fields hitter he was prior, and he comes to the realization that he should try to be a doubles hitter and the homers will come instead of trying to pull everything 500 feet, I think he can certainly live up to the two remaining years on his contract. That is one Texas-sized IF, though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If his work with Berkman in the offseason gets him back to the all-fields hitter he was prior, and he comes to the realization that he should try to be a doubles hitter and the homers will come instead of trying to pull everything 500 feet, I think he can certainly live up to the two remaining years on his contract. That is one Texas-sized IF, though.
Yeah, I agree.

I could easily see this team winning 90+ games and making the playoffs or being around 80ish and missing out. A lot of question marks.

Reactions: MissouriMook

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Only things I'm willing to say for certain about the Cards:

They have an ace
Their middle infield defense is excellent

Almost everything else is a question mark. I just can't see this team doing anything with the current roster unless Carlson just takes the league by storm, which seems unlikely, as talented as he may be, and Goldy returns to MVP form. The middle of the order is just a gigantic question mark.

I will say that I don't care if Bader ever gets a hit for the rest of his career, he should start every game in center field. He's that good defensively. Just like Yadi was back in the day. Put him in the 8 hole and if he gets a hit then great, but he's going to save so many runs with his defense that he'll still be a positive force on the team with that alone. He was abysmal at the plate for much of last year and he still was a 2 win player. If he could just get on base at a league average clip he would be closer to 4 win. I would hate to see the Cards give up on him, even though he's incredibly frustrating at the plate.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
:

I will say that I don't care if Bader ever gets a hit for the rest of his career, he should start every game in center field. He's that good defensively. Just like Yadi was back in the day. Put him in the 8 hole and if he gets a hit then great, but he's going to save so many runs with his defense that he'll still be a positive force on the team with that alone. He was abysmal at the plate for much of last year and he still was a 2 win player. If he could just get on base at a league average clip he would be closer to 4 win. I would hate to see the Cards give up on him, even though he's incredibly frustrating at the plate.
So peter Bourjos?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
So peter Bourjos?
Currently, yeah that’s about who he is, but he’s shown power potential and walks at a decent rate. He can be a league average hitter to go along with platinum glove level defense. That’s an extremely valuable player. You can sacrifice offense for defense at critical defensive positions(catcher, shortstop, centerfield). I’d much rather have good defenders at those positions than average hitters with average defense. Defense is consistent and provides value almost every game. Even the best hitters go on multi-week slumps where they’re effectively a wasted lineup spot until they get it back together at the plate. Bader will provide value to the team nearly every game by making a catch an average defender wouldn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad