Lets give some credit to the Ottawa Senators

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's pretty sad that you couldn't talk about your own team without bringing up the Leafs.

You guys keep telling us that you're Canada's team, and that all the coverage on Sportsnet is warranted because you have the biggest fanbase. It's only fair that we measure up to you guys. You can't have it both ways ;)

Reactions: HabsQC

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
From Feb 23 2018 to Feb 25 2019 (Basically 1 full year), they traded away Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, Brassard and Dzingle, which were literally their top 6 scorers from 2017-18. All they got back in terms of immediate impact roster players was Tierney (obviously futures was their focus). I don't think any team in the history of the NHL has traded that much talent away in that short of a time.

Take the top 6 scorers off any team, and I'm pretty sure anyone would think they are 4+ years away from competing again. I'm also not convinced they aren't far away from being great. Pageau is having a career year, inflating his worth - but he's not this player any other year.

Demelo and Duclair look sadly your way and give a little wave.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Hope they continue with the rebuild. They've certainly done it the right way so far. Ya'll thought I was nuts when I said Ott was going to be better than the Leafs before the season......doesn't seem quite as crazy now.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
You guys keep telling us that you're Canada's team, and that all the coverage on Sportsnet is warranted because you have the biggest fanbase. It's only fair that we measure up to you guys. You can't have it both ways ;)
The leafs are the pinnacle of the Uberdog team.

It is really hard to be passive about it.

When people perpetually act like they are about to dominate you it is easy to jerk back.

Ironically I bought sens tickets on Saturday knowing that having the worst attendance in the league meant that they are the cheapest tickets I'll ever get living in this country.

I planned my Christmas holidays around this premise and it has paid off tremendously.

I'm hoping this surge lasts until their next game with Jersey.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Senators have rarely been a middling team, they're usually either competing or bottom 5. Since 2010 they have more bottom 5 finishes than 'middling'.

That's what I mean. They have been good enough to not get top overall draft picks but bad enough they haven't really been a threat for the Stanley Cup. A middling team that misses the playoff some years and makes it in others.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
They have the 6th best record in the NHL over their last 10 games. Coach Smith is doing a great job.

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Won’t keep this up all season long but I like what DJ brings. If some high end talent is added to the Sens, the framework is there to build upon.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Whats funny is that the Sens have accomplished more than a lot of teams have in the last 5 years and really even majority of teams cant really bag on them because in the last 10 years its been only a very small amount of teams to win the cup. I think any team that hasnt won a cup in recent years cant really say anything because those teams really havent accomplished anything more. Maybe been better during regular season. Whoopdedoo...

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Without taking anything away from the Sens - they're playing really well - im noticing how teams have a tough time really having their "minds into it" in games against them. And to the Senators credit - you have to prepare well to beat them right now, just using your skill to score a couple goals isn't enough.

And i don't blame them. When you have this Sens lineup on the whiteboard in the locker room before the game, it's hard not to think that this team is bad. With the parity in the league every team has well known dangerous players so when you see this Sens squad it's easy to think that you don't have to work as hard.

I think we all knew this was going to be the case, but still it's impressive how the Sens are able to beat teams clean. Bad teams usually don't win a lot regardless of how their opponents prepare.

Looks like Smith is laying a solid foundation, now they just need better players.

Reactions: Emrasie

Hole in the Condon

Dec 2, 2017
The boys are playing like they have something to prove and they're regaining an identity as a team. I get the feeling that there is finally a healthy and positive atmosphere in the locker room. I don't think the recent win rate is sustainable, but the team seems to be steadily trending upward.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't mind giving some credit to the Ottawa Senators, and while we're at it maybe we could lend some credit to Eugene Melnyk as well to help him pay his overdue bills for his airplane and the like :)

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Ideally they should finish 4th or 5th last. Last overall creates a losing environment and doesn't even guarantee the top pick anymore. A top 5 pick would get them the elite player they need anyway.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I remember in training camp there was a 1st rd pick who was complaining about not being used properly? What ever happened with that? Is he a bust? I forgot the name

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I do not see how they keep it up, getting outshot a lot and goaltending coming through pretty big, BUT win or lose I enjoy watching the team. There is a nice culture coming together, the team is sun to watch and they do not quit. A nice surprise coming out of last year.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Without taking anything away from the Sens - they're playing really well - im noticing how teams have a tough time really having their "minds into it" in games against them. And to the Senators credit - you have to prepare well to beat them right now, just using your skill to score a couple goals isn't enough.

And i don't blame them. When you have this Sens lineup on the whiteboard in the locker room before the game, it's hard not to think that this team is bad. With the parity in the league every team has well known dangerous players so when you see this Sens squad it's easy to think that you don't have to work as hard.

I think we all knew this was going to be the case, but still it's impressive how the Sens are able to beat teams clean. Bad teams usually don't win a lot regardless of how their opponents prepare.

Looks like Smith is laying a solid foundation, now they just need better players.

We also frequently face backup goalies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Maybe Im getting ahead of myself, but I think the Sens could potentially have the runaway best group of prospects in the league after next years draft - where they have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds. And they likely get another 1 or 2 picks (or more) in that range from the trades they make later this year. And the 2020 draft has had scouts salivating for years now. That's crazy deep when you add it to the current young core.

And their strong play isnt hurting them in the long wrong whatsoever, I can only laugh at people that think this is bad for a young team. The draft lottery is working as intended when teams like the Sens are doing whatever they can to remain competitive (likely a futile effort and things will sort themselves out by the end of the season). But the truth is that there is no such thing as tanking anymore. Sucking and getting super lucky is not tanking, its a fools plan.

Regardless of where they finish, an 18.5% chance at the 1st overall pick is not enough incentive to tank and promote a loser culture within the young core. I would argue that showing no improvement on a yearly basis is the exact wrong way to rebuild, especially with added incentive of having a lottery pick thats got a real chance regardless of where you end up in the non playoff bracket.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad