Lets give some credit to the Ottawa Senators

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Happy for the kids to win some, sad for the draft pick that's gonna be outside of the top 3 :(
Even San Jose looking to hit that wild card zone.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Melnyk is terrible but they fight hard every night and actually win at a decent rate. DJ Smith is doing a good job getting blood from a stone.

Don't know why people thought they were 4-5 years away, only issue is whether they should be trading Pageau and others right now to tank a little more or use this as a transition year to find/build some chemistry while promoting their young core to bigger roles to get used to the extra work load.

Should be aiming for a WC spot in 1-2 years time. They have so many 2nd round picks this year and next (two 1sts this year as well) and good enough short term/UFA trade-able depth assets in Namestnikov, Pageau, Tierney, Ennis and Hainsey to get another 1st or two.

They can use these picks to draft more future or trade some of it for an impact player now and sign a decent free agent and chip a year off the build hopefully. Sens fans just need to ask Santa for new ownership, hoping Melnyk is at least somewhat truthful when he talked about being a cap team in 2021.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Don't know why people thought they were 4-5 years away, only issue is whether they should be trading Pageau and others right now to tank a little more or use this as a transition year to find/build some chemistry while promoting their young core to bigger roles to get used to the extra work load.

Should be aiming for a WC spot in 1-2 years time. They have so many 2nd round picks this year and next (two 1sts this year as well) and good enough short term/UFA trade-able depth assets in Namestnikov, Pageau, Tierney, Ennis and Hainsey to get another 1st or two.

They can use these picks to draft more future or trade some of it for an impact player now and sign a decent free agent and chip a year off the build hopefully. Sens fans just need to ask Santa for new ownership, hoping Melnyk is at least somewhat truthful when he talked about being a cap team in 2021.

It all depends on if Pageau wants to stay or not (probably wants to leave just like Stone did because Melnyk & co decided to pull the plug on the team).
If Pageau wants to stay and sign a 4/5M contract for 5 years then I don't see why we don't keep him.
Ottawa has enough picks in the next three drafts; they need good veterans (not guys like Ennis, Hainsey...)

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It all depends on if Pageau wants to stay or not (probably wants to leave just like Stone did because Melnyk & co decided to pull the plug on the team).
If Pageau wants to stay and sign a 4/5M contract for 5 years then I don't see why we don't keep him.
Ottawa has enough picks in the next three drafts; they need good veterans (not guys like Ennis, Hainsey...)

For sure he can, felt I covered that a bit with finding/building chemistry and I consider Pageau at 27, still young enough to be part of the core. Would be surprised if they don't try and re-sign him to be honest.
They have two paths ahead of them, curious which one they take.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's been evident watching some games the last few years that the heart/effort is there, the poison in the organization isn't on the ice.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Because they are 2 points out of last place?

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
They will still finish in the bottom 5 but yes, I think they deserve some kudos for sure...showing some life and some nice building blocks in place for the future...add a real nice high draft pick this year and you will be heading in a very positive direction....also it must be added, the NHL has such parity that even lower teams can come up and surprise you...which I think is good for our league!

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
DJ Smith is captaining the team right now. I was skeptical of the hiring, but am a fan, brings a totally different energy to the team. Still have a LONG way to go though.

Reactions: Kamina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->