Lets give some credit to the Ottawa Senators

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
That's what I mean. They have been good enough to not get top overall draft picks but bad enough they haven't really been a threat for the Stanley Cup. A middling team that misses the playoff some years and makes it in others.
Two of the last 3 drafts the worst team with the best chance at the top pick has fallen to the fourth overall pick.

Can root against your own team for 82 games in a season for the best chance at the top pick if you want, but it doesn't guarantee ****. They're not gonna make the playoffs and will probably still finish bottom 5, what's not to love.

We also frequently face backup goalies.
I don't have the numbers but I'm sure it's at a crazy high frequency compared to some teams.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Winning will always trump draft position, trust me I'm an Oilers fan..

Agreed. I feel like Sens fans have not experienced true misery. We were in the ECF a mere 2 years ago. I don't think these fans understand what it's like to stick at the bottom forever.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Easy early-season schedule definitely has helped with the Sens record.

Played 8 games already against their tanking rivals: NYRx3, DETx2, Kings, Wild, Devils, going 6-2 against them.

Are 5-8-1 against teams that aren't complete trash. When the schedule gets stronger the L's will start to pile up.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
While there have been some real surprises thus far in this season, you would have to rate a .500 Senators team near the top as pleasant surprises....I expect they will eventually fall back but they are giving their fans some hope to be sure ....if they can get a nice high draft this year, they will be on a nice rebuilding mode very quickly.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
While there have been some real surprises thus far in this season, you would have to rate a .500 Senators team near the top as pleasant surprises....I expect they will eventually fall back but they are giving their fans some hope to be sure ....if they can get a nice high draft this year, they will be on a nice rebuilding mode very quickly.

With the way San Jose is playing, they will draft top 5.

Reactions: Devonator

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Ottawa this season and Vegas from a couple seasons ago reminds me of how overvalued some first liners can be and the huge contracts they receive in the context of elevating a 3rd line/4th line/AHLer and giving him first line minutes/PP time and observing how well they do.

I mean some guys deserve the blockbuster contracts, but I think too many do that don't deserve it and sometimes you can get nearly the same point production / 10 less points per season by just elevating certain guys with potential in the lineup for a far cheaper price.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
And beyond that: good coaching. Ottawa has good coaching to be able to get what they do from this type of a lineup. They are playing their players to their strengths and minimizing their errors through a cohesive system.

If Ottawa really wants a tank, just take John Hynes from the Devils. Your tank will immediately be activated with no wins in the near horizon.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I do not see how they keep it up, getting outshot a lot and goaltending coming through pretty big, BUT win or lose I enjoy watching the team. There is a nice culture coming together, the team is sun to watch and they do not quit. A nice surprise coming out of last year.

I dunno, seems like you have a short memory,

Not more than 3 years ago the Ottawa Senators were getting caved in both literally and figratively under Guy Boucher, win or lose every single game, And yet they counter punched their way all the way to Game 7 2OT of the ECF.

Having said that, this is not the same thing. This team is not making the playoffs, nevermind the ECF. But unlike the Boucher coached teams that basically stole every point they earned, this version of the Sens actually deserves every bit of success that they've earned so far.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Sens are 9th in regulation or overtime wins:
upload_2019-11-22_20-44-52.png

The only reason they're lower in the standings is everyone else is getting loser points.

Reactions: gab6511

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Sens deserve a ton of credit. It’s been a great brand of hockey to watch. Very tenacious and hard working. When you have guys like Pageau and Tkachuk who are always grinding in the tough areas, and playing greasy it is infectious. They hit a home run with the Tkachuk pick and they need to keep Pageau. You can’t let everyone walk and Pageau is a player who shows up in the playoffs and when the going gets tough.

They also seem to have the right guy behind the bench. Pierre has done a very nice job on the pro personnel side finding motivated, lunch bucket guys on the cheap. The Sens probably won’t make the playoffs, but they are in a good place, and certainly are not fun to play against.

Reactions: guyzeur

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Agreed. I feel like Sens fans have not experienced true misery. We were in the ECF a mere 2 years ago. I don't think these fans understand what it's like to stick at the bottom forever.
*3 years ago

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I got to chuckle. Tied with Buffalo and 1 pt back of the Leafs in the Atlantic with a game in hand. who would have expected this?

Credit DJ Smith with the additions in Brown, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Ennis, to the hold overs in JGP's, Tkachuk's, Duclair's and Chabot's. Not sure they can keep this up, but at least they got the right character guys in place to build from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad