Lets give some credit to the Ottawa Senators

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. I feel like Sens fans have not experienced true misery. We were in the ECF a mere 2 years ago. I don't think these fans understand what it's like to stick at the bottom forever.
The sens were literally the worst teams of all time when they expanded. They have the worst regular season point total of the history of the NHL. They lost to their biggest rivals 4 straight times in the playoffs meanwhile the media loved the leafs so it was shoved down our throats. They were one of the best teams in the NHL for 10 straight seasons only to lose a full year of their prime to a lock out when they were at their absolute peak followed by that team getting torn apart from the new salary cap. Oh yeah the owner destroyed the relationship with the best player in franchise history then traded two of the best players in their primes when the team didnt even have their first round pick.

But no, they havent experienced true misery..... I have to say you consistently have one of if not the worst takes on this board. Logic is just not part of your vocabulary.

Reactions: Beville

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
The guy is an Avs fan trying to make a joke about this year’s team.
Nah actually i thaught the talk was about the current season, where the sens show character. No need to talk about last years pick, nobody thaught 2 years back that it goes downhill that fast.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The sens were literally the worst teams of all time when they expanded. They have the worst regular season point total of the history of the NHL. They lost to their biggest rivals 4 straight times in the playoffs meanwhile the media loved the leafs so it was shoved down our throats. They were one of the best teams in the NHL for 10 straight seasons only to lose a full year of their prime to a lock out when they were at their absolute peak followed by that team getting torn apart from the new salary cap. Oh yeah the owner destroyed the relationship with the best player in franchise history then traded two of the best players in their primes when the team didnt even have their first round pick.

But no, they havent experienced true misery..... I have to say you consistently have one of if not the worst takes on this board. Logic is just not part of your vocabulary.

I think you're looking for things to be miserable about Bert if that is your take

When Ottawa and TB entered the league they got f***ed by the expansion rules. That wasnt misery. That was the way the league was and frankly the league has learned from that. The other day you mentioned being 38. That made you a kid when the sens were born in 92. I was an adult then and a STH. i wasnt miserable. I was thrilled and proud to have an NHL team. Full stop. We made the playoffs in 97 and went on an extended run as Canada's most succesful team in terms of regular season winning and making the playoffs. The 4 losses to the leafs were hard to suffer, no doubt about it. And we got screwed coming out of the 04 lockout with the cap but rebounded quickly and made the cup finals. The past 10 years have been up and down which isnt really surprising given we have 16 teams make the playoffs in a 30 team league. The line brawl against montreal, a game i was at, and the ecf run two years ago were high points of the past 10 years for me. Your bang on about your thoughts on ownership and the damage in the community stemming from that but wrt losing some star players, which we did, personally I think we're a bit ahead of the curve in the league as salary shifts away from ufa contracts and towards post elc contracts. I don't think that was particularly a planned thing but i do think that we will benefit from it.

I didnt grow up in an nhl city. I was in my late 20s when we got a team and to that point in my life i had attended 3 nhl games.

You had the good fortune of living in a city with an nhl team since you were a kid. I'm sorry man but i can't look back at 27 years of having a local nhl team and think its been nothing but misery

Reactions: thammias

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think you're looking for things to be miserable about Bert if that is your take

When Ottawa and TB entered the league they got ****ed by the expansion rules. That wasnt misery. That was the way the league was and frankly the league has learned from that. The other day you mentioned being 38. That made you a kid when the sens were born in 92. I was an adult then and a STH. i wasnt miserable. I was thrilled and proud to have an NHL team. Full stop. We made the playoffs in 97 and went on an extended run as Canada's most succesful team in terms of regular season winning and making the playoffs. The 4 losses to the leafs were hard to suffer, no doubt about it. And we got screwed coming out of the 04 lockout with the cap but rebounded quickly and made the cup finals. The past 10 years have been up and down which isnt really surprising given we have 16 teams make the playoffs in a 30 team league. The line brawl against montreal, a game i was at, and the ecf run two years ago were high points of the past 10 years for me. Your bang on about your thoughts on ownership and the damage in the community stemming from that but wrt losing some star players, which we did, personally I think we're a bit ahead of the curve in the league as salary shifts away from ufa contracts and towards post elc contracts. I don't think that was particularly a planned thing but i do think that we will benefit from it.

I didnt grow up in an nhl city. I was in my late 20s when we got a team and to that point in my life i had attended 3 nhl games.

You had the good fortune of living in a city with an nhl team since you were a kid. I'm sorry man but i can't look back at 27 years of having a local nhl team and think its been nothing but misery
The audacity you have has no bounds.

Simply responding to a horrible take that says as sens fans we havent suffered as a fan base backed up with tangible examples. They literally had the worst teams of all time. Not up for debate. They did.

Identifying the facts doesnt mean I have said its been nothing but misery. Do not presume to project how someone else feels when you have absolutely no clue.

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ottawa have 2 first rd picks this upcoming draft, their own and SJ's. The Leafs have no first rd pick though if they pick 11 or higher. Maybe you got them mixed up?

Hes referring to last year when we didnt have a 1st we were shit, now when we do have a 1st we are doing good and it will end up being a mid pick... I think that's what he means

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hes referring to last year when we didnt have a 1st we were ****, now when we do have a 1st we are doing good and it will end up being a mid pick... I think that's what he means

The senators are better than anyone thought this year. But this little winning streak does make things look better than they are.

They're destined to go on a losing streak at some point, and they'll be trading off free agents at some point too.

I fully expect them to be closer to the bottom 5 than picking around 16

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens have two first rounders in a deep draft. Plus a plethora of guys in the minors that can make the club at some point. Not to mention they will get even more picks when they move some guys at the deadline. Sens will be a force in the near future.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
The senators are better than anyone thought this year. But this little winning streak does make things look better than they are.

They're destined to go on a losing streak at some point, and they'll be trading off free agents at some point too.

I fully expect them to be closer to the bottom 5 than picking around 16

I agree, the streak has been against weaker teams as well. I'm curious what they will be able to do towards the end of the season. I think they will finish around 23rd-26th

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I agree, the streak has been against weaker teams as well. I'm curious what they will be able to do towards the end of the season. I think they will finish around 23rd-26th

That's my guess too. They're clearly better than the utter bottom feeders, so it would take a couple key injuries and vets traded to drop them down to compete for last place. But with the lottery you never know.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens are playing well but it's one of those things that won't last imo

Minimal NHL depth on the team

Reactions: NyQuil

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I'm not sure why you think telling us we were one of the best teams in the NHL for 10 straight seasons proves your point. That's hockey first world problems.

Edit: Real talk for a second. Yes, the Sens sucked their first 4 seasons. They were an expansion team. Every expansion team sucked their first few years.

If you count from 1996-97 onward (the first year they made the playoffs):
  • 11th most regular season wins (most of any canadian team)
  • 13th most playoffs wins (most of any canadian team by a big margin 72 vs 53 for the 2nd place Habs)
  • Last season was the first time they missed the playoffs in two consecutive seasons
  • Multiple deep playoffs runs (1 SCF, 2 ECF)
  • Presidents trophy
Sure, they haven't won a cup, but there are 31 teams in this league. If you consider not winning a cup "true misery", you must be a pretty miserable person.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3