Pre-Game Talk: Lers vs Leafs - Jan 4, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am all for calling out players in the right situation. You cant blame a player for not succeeding in an impossible situation that the GM & Coach created for him.

lol these are some bizarre views.

Gee why even play, put on the jersey.

What is the "right situation" for Koskinen? Walking from the contract he can't perform on and playing in the KHL or Swiss league?

NHL level snipers school this goalie for fun. The league is too much for him. His drafting team realized that after around 4 games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

What is the "right situation" for Koskinen? Walking from the contract he can't perform on and playing in the KHL or Swiss league?

NHL level snipers school this goalie for fun. The league is too much for him. His drafting team realized that after around 4 games.
Remember when Taylor Hall was our 1C because we literally had no centers?

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
That he was injured to begin with highlights what a dumb decision it was to bring him back.
No conditioning stint and back to back games immediately for the going on 40 year old after 3 months off.

Solid plan! I guarantee Tipp was starting him the next 10 games if he didn't get hurt.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

The right situation would be to play him as back-up or perhaps Have him not in the NHL at all. He is not a good goalie.

Forcing him into a starting position because of poor planning is going to have obviously horrible results.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Yes it was bad. Everyone in the media, every player and Koski knew that.

You dont have to skewer him in the media for the very obvious mistake he made.
I've watched nearly every pre/post-game interview Tippett has done this year. Whenever the topic of Koskinen letting in bad goals comes up, he skirts around the issue and says it's on the whole team and that they have to start better.

Tippett has been biting his tongue the whole season and the one time he lets his frustration out (which I think is justified), everyone is saying how Tippett (now considered 100% evil and wrong about everything) shouldn't have said it.

I want a new coach but I have no problem with what Tippett said. This is like the 300th time Kosko has done this. He makes the most basic mistakes. Having Kosko in net must be so stressful for the players. One slight mistake and there's like an 90% chance the puck is in your net.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
What is the "right situation" for Koskinen?
A 1B who developed in the AHL for a season before getting into the NHL.

Trivial history but he was the 2nd best KHL goalie signed that offseason. Francouz (I know, here he goes about Czech people again) had better stats, signed for 690K and reported to the AHL. Then he got a 1 year contract at barely under 1 mill. That year he did great in the NHL and got a 2 by 2 contract (funny note: Has yet to play a single game in that new contract).

Even the biggest KHL fan would've told you that Francouz and Koski were at least close in ability...

Koski got a NTC and 4.5 million ... I'm not sure Francouz has made 4.5 million in the same timeframe.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I've watched nearly every pre/post-game interview Tippett has done this year. Whenever the topic of Koskinen letting in bad goals comes up, he skirts around the issue and says it's on the whole team and that they have to start better.

Tippett has been biting his tongue the whole season and the one time he lets his frustration out (which I think is justified), everyone is saying how Tippett (now considered 100% evil and wrong about everything) shouldn't have said it.

I want a new coach but I have no problem with what Tippett said. This is like the 300th time Kosko has done this. He makes the most basic mistakes. Having Kosko in net must be so stressful for the players. One slight mistake and there's like an 90% chance the puck is in your net.

I agree - he's bad and probably deserved to be shit on by Tippett. I just think that there's a few factors why it shouldnt have been done in the media this paticular time.

1) 10 game snide where whole team is playing bad
2) Koski has been forced to play way above his skill/ability
3) It was a very obvious mistake by the goalie that didnt need to be highlighted. We all knew it was a f*** up
4) Koski has already been getting shit on by media/fans for weeks

you can disagree with me, and I get where you are coming from, I just dont think this was the right move by Dave in this particular moment.

Reactions: HermMunster

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I actually think a Koskinen for Mrazek could make sense. Leafs need cap to sign Campbell next year. Mrazek is a good goalie when healthy. Mrazek is on a 3.8M for this year and 2 more, not a bad contract.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Koskinen sucks, Tippett sucks. Both can be true.

For Dave's defenders, exactly what do you think you are going to win with a coach that can't coach this team 5-on-5 for shit?

5-on-5 GF%

16-17 Oilers (went to 2nd round) : 7th best in the NHL

19-20 Oilers: 25th best in NHL
20-21 Oilers: 18th best in NHL
21-22 Oilers: 22nd best in NHL

This is horrendous 5 on 5 play, which is going to wrong way even. You can't win playoff rounds with 5 on 5 play this bad, the Oilers would lose probably even to Anaheim in the playoffs even if they made it with this garbage 5 on 5, Gibson would just outplay the Oilers goalie and that's all she wrote.

Reactions: Czechboy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The right situation would be to play him as back-up or perhaps Have him not in the NHL at all. He is not a good goalie.

Forcing him into a starting position because of poor planning is going to have obviously horrible results.

So who's fault is that really? Who didn't address goaltending in the offseasons?

Tippett was blamed when he wasn't calling out the goalie(s) there were posters saying its deflating to the team to not single out the goaltending in a game in which they played reasonably well. So now Tippett does it and...

People are just upset, and displaying that, and so that it becomes a type of furtive mythology finding things to put blame on.

I'm certainly not saying Tippett doesn't make mistakes, misjudgements, but I'm rather worried who Holland and Nicholson acquire instead.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I actually think a Koskinen for Mrazek could make sense. Leafs need cap to sign Campbell next year. Mrazek is a good goalie when healthy. Mrazek is on a 3.8M for this year and 2 more, not a bad contract.
HUGE Mrazek fan... most likely our starter at the Olympics. Avoid this contract and do not trade for him. And I am a big fan. Reason is health. He's a very athletic type goalie who flops around a lot (actually, a bit like Smith) and the injuries are piling up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There were only 2 options... come on!lol

If I posted one right now and said Tipp or Potato as the only 2 options.. the Potato is winning that all day.

Next time I'll find the Dead See Scrolls amendments for you...;)

Theres been lots of polls. unlike Terry Jones nobody is paying me to do this gig..hehe

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Impossible? Firing a puck over the glass 15 seconds in and then trying to play a puck in the trapezoid? f*** even the PBP guys from NY we’re calling him out. Analysists country wide yesterday were calling him out.

Give me a break. The NHL is not the Hurt Feelings League.
Koskinen is an easy scapegoat, but the Oilers are having a variety of issues right now. Obviously goaltending is one of them but it seems in poor taste to only call that out and ignoring the 100s of other issues plaguing this team.

I get that some players have a longer leash than others but the timing wasn’t great and I can’t think of any other veterans he’s called out similarly.

For example, in the second period, we gave up a few five alarm and frankly inexcusable chances that were either stopped or misplayed by the Rags. Not a peep about our atrocious defending.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
So who's fault is that really? Who didn't address goaltending in the offseasons?

Tippett was blamed when he wasn't calling out the goalie(s) there were posters saying its deflating to the team to not single out the goaltending in a game in which they played reasonably well. So now Tippett does it and...

People are just upset, and displaying that, and so that it becomes a type of furtive mythology finding things to put blame on.

I'm certainly not saying Tippett doesn't make mistakes, misjudgements, but I'm rather worried who Holland and Nicholson acquire instead.

Trust me I think Holland is more to blame then anyone.

I'm just saying, I would hope the leader of this team (tipp) would see that Koski is clearly not cut out for this and was put in a situation where he was bound to fail because lets be real koski sucks.

It was like kicking a dog while he was down lol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Bob has spent a good portion of the rest of the segment so far talking about goaltending (even brought up the 11-2 start with Khabibulin that went sideways after he stopped being a wall).

Lawton thinks Tippett is good (as a fellow Tyrell museum exhibit), but also thinks that a coach should keep that commentary between him and the player, not airing it out in public

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
HUGE Mrazek fan... most likely our starter at the Olympics. Avoid this contract and do not trade for him. And I am a big fan. Reason is health. He's a very athletic type goalie who flops around a lot (actually, a bit like Smith) and the injuries are piling up.
yeah that would be my biggest concern too. Smith and him splitting duties could be interesting. I just don't see a ton out there that I really like as goalie options.
Maybe Oilers give Konovalov a start and he ends up being Binnington haha

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trust me I think Holland is more to blame then anyone.

I'm just saying, I would hope the leader of this team (tipp) would see that Koski is clearly not cut out for this and was put in a situation where he was bound to fail because lets be real koski sucks.

It was like kicking a dog while he was down lol

I don't think what Tipp did really was meant to throw Koskinen under the bus (even though he effectively did and he was stupid to do so), he was trying to say

"Don't blame me, I know I'm about the get fired, blame the GM who isn't giving me a goalie".

Thing is both are incompetents.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Easy fix. Our wingers play way too low in their end and too far in. All the teams cycling us to death are using their wide open D.

Pinch higher and cut the board pass out. Boom.

Tippett....you getting this

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Tippett was blamed when he wasn't calling out the goalie(s) there were posters saying its deflating to the team to not single out the goaltending in a game in which they played reasonably well
The blame is strictly on Holland... eg. you could put Scrivens in the net or Justin Pogge.. you can call them out all you want. Pavelec is still around. July 2019 and same goalies. It hasn't worked and I didn't need to see it a third time. Lots of teams have changed goalies, made trades since July 2019. In fact, without googling. I'm willing to say maybe only 5 out 31 teams have the same goalie tandem that they had in July of 2019. And I'll bet everything that those 5 teams have an elite goalie as one of them.

There were seriously posters mad Tipp wasn't calling out his goalie?

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Easy fix. Our wingers play way too low in their end and too far in. All the teams cycling us to death are using their wide open D.

Pinch higher and cut the board pass out. Boom.

Tippett....you getting this
When we were 9 and 1 but still near the bottom of the leauge in shots against.. Tipp (and about 100 posters) said the shots aren't concerning becuase they are 'giveaways' and easy saves. The problem is that those easy save shots sometimes hit things on the way to the net and go in.

I agree completely with you on this btw.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I could care less what he said. He’s crap and shouldn’t be in this league.

If this were the NFL he’d had his contract terminated and his coach would have ripped him from stem to stern postgame.

That's fine, and I have no issue that Tippett finally broke and criticized him.

My current position is that Mikko is a problem that we can't trust with any significant load, or important games. In that light and the context of how bad that start was when they needed him badly (had a zero game emergency backup on the bench), what Tippett said was absolutely fine. However, Koskinen's response was absolutely fine as well as he didn't cower from his responsibility and pointed out accurately that everyone needs to play better which is true as well because the early leads haven't been only on him (New York game obviously notwithstanding) as they've also happened with Skinner or Smith in net as well.

What matters is what comes out of it and I don't think Mikko gets any more chances outside an occasional game unless Smith gets injured again, but not because of the words said, because he's simply not good enough.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad