Pre-Game Talk: Lers vs Leafs - Jan 4, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing I will say about the 3C - I think that the assumption was that Derek Ryan could do it, but he can't. Anyone that watched him the last year and a half should know that he's much better suited now to be a 4C, but 3C is a major stretch.

Everyone except our management team though. In hindsight - give me Philip Danault at his ticket and take the L on having someone not Duncan Keith at 2LD. Other than a few games that were full of a comedy of errors I think that Keith overall has been good. Don't think that he supersedes having a 3C that is actually good at their job though.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Talbot on the first shot against that season makes Mikko look like Patrick Roy on first shots against this season haha.

Unfortunately no. It was that bad that year as well. Time has softened the wounds, but it was a very real thing. It was first shot, regularly. This version is moreso first 5 minutes, so sometimes its the 2nd or 3rd shot. Not better... I know, but let's not make lightly of what happened that year.
__
edit
Never mind. Read it backwards. You're bang on.

Reactions: RegDunlop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
True. To be fair, I seem to recall hearing that the Aquilini’s were going to blackball some radio stations (sponsorship?) when they had their circus going on before the firings. I think it’s a Canadian sports media thing. The Canadian NHL clubs make them very aware that reporting for them is a privilege and if they want to criticize, someone else will line up to take their spot, writing at a 4th grade level or whatever the requirements are nowadays
Oh yeah, 100%. Spec writes garbage but he's well aware that pointing the finger at currently employed execs would be the end of his employment. It's nothing new with this org, any dissent is immediately dealt with.

It's no wonder the Rangers broadcast crew tore us to shreds, they didn't have anything to worry about.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It’s true. Koskinen’s meme is within the first 5 shots, and letting in the least dangerous looking one

My favorite was when the 2nd shot went in on that one a few weeks ago where he made the first save, but completely gave up on the play giving the easy tap in on the second shot and the sentiment was that at least it wasn't the first shot.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Some controversy around the locker room might be the kick in the butt this team needs but it was clumsy from Tippett, especially since he didn't say much of anything when Smith just a few days before gave up six and actually had more weak goals against than Koskinen the other night.

If he wanted to call out goaltending he could have done it in a much smoother way while still having his players back somewhat, something like "Mikko knows he had some terrible mistakes early but the team ahead of him only had three shots on goal the first 15 minutes of the game so we all hold some blame for these crappy starts" or similar to that, it would be just as true while holding both yourself and the whole team accountable. Now it just sounded like a guy putting the focus on something he can't control to make it someone elses fault.

Behind closed doors I don't mind coaches ripping into players at times. In the press not so much. You can go ballistics on the team as a whole but nothing good comes from doing to an individual player. Mostly because you need to at least pretend that you hold all players to an equal standard, noone ever does but you have make an attempt to sell to the players that you do, and if you start firing shots at Mikko how does Koekkoek's lackluster board work get a pass or Ryan leaking like the Titanic or pretty much every bottom sixer losing their match up nightly or Drai taking 2 minute shifts where he's completely spent for the last 30 seconds and so on and so on. If you're going to rip into individuals in public you better do it often and to everyone. Which likely would turn out bad. Which is why you shouldn't start dishing it out in the first place.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Prediction: Oilers will dump Koskinen after this year or before (as they should), and bring in some guy who supposedly will cure their goaltending ills. He'll try his damndest and do his best, but get sucked in eventually like all of the others with the Oilers defensive mediocrity by their combination of overpaid, over the hill, inexperienced, useless defensive core, and lack of any forward support and proper system. Calling to the witness stand - Anthony Stolarz, Cam Talbot, Devon Dubnyk, etc. Some decent goalies in there, but none that are of the pedigree and sheer ability to hold up this leaky ship for any long length of time. In other words, no Carey Price's there.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No prob what Tip said - about time
And maybe open up about a few others
Time for Holland to get of his skinny a ss
And make some changes

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know there was a thread on the main boards about has there ever been a player quit like Antonio Brown in the NHL.

I wonder if we see that with Mikko this year

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Koskinen is an easy scapegoat, but the Oilers are having a variety of issues right now. Obviously goaltending is one of them but it seems in poor taste to only call that out and ignoring the 100s of other issues plaguing this team.

I get that some players have a longer leash than others but the timing wasn’t great and I can’t think of any other veterans he’s called out similarly.

For example, in the second period, we gave up a few five alarm and frankly inexcusable chances that were either stopped or misplayed by the Rags. Not a peep about our atrocious defending.

The stage was set at that point however, and to be fair Tippett has called out poor play by others. Not very often but he has. And these were absolutely crucial critical brain dead mistakes Koskinen made in a crucial critical game at a crucial critical time 15 seconds after the game started.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe the team would have more confidence to play offensively if he didn't let the first goal in early so often. That sucks the life out of the team quickly.
To be fair, I've also seen lots of games where we do indeed allow the first goal, but it doesn't happen until the end of the period or sometime in the 2nd. And then the "we allowed the first goal again" moans and groans come out. I'd like to see a stretch where we come out gang busters and sustain those gangbusters for a period and see what happens. I've never seen a team come out so consistently flat, game after game after game. Not letting Koskinen off the hook by any means, but the team as a whole has really gone into a funk.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The stage was set at that point however, and to be fair Tippett has called out poor play by others. Not very often but he has. And these were absolutely crucial critical brain dead mistakes Koskinen made in a crucial critical game at a crucial critical time 15 seconds after the game started.
The question is, who does calling out his play help?

does it help Koskinen? No, not really. He’s already quite clearly someone who struggles with confidence and getting thrown under the bus publicly by the coach and media is definitely not going to help his play (in fact it could do quite the opposite).

does it help the other players? Not if Koskinen needs to be relied on again if/when Smith goes down and his game continues to falter because of this.

does it help the coach? Maybe in the moment, but overall no, since everyone is blasting him for the comments

does it help the organization? If anything it makes us look even more Mickey Mouse than usual.

I understand being frustrated (we all are), but there’s a difference being a fan and a coach. We have some leeway to be reactionary because we’re not employed by the organization and don’t make choices of any consequence.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

I have no problem with it, these guys are professional athletes. Do better, take responsibility and say yeah I sucked and am going to be better. Deflecting saying they've only scored 7 goals in 6 games is such a cop out.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To be fair, I've also seen lots of games where we do indeed allow the first goal, but it doesn't happen until the end of the period or sometime in the 2nd. And then the "we allowed the first goal again" moans and groans come out. I'd like to see a stretch where we come out gang busters and sustain those gangbusters for a period and see what happens. I've never seen a team come out so consistently flat, game after game after game. Not letting Koskinen off the hook by any means, but the team as a whole has really gone into a funk.

Lately I think that they actually have been playing better out of the gate, but it's usually a bullet in the foot that does them in rather than getting flat out outworked for the first few mins like we were seeing earlier in the year.

The formula lately has been to take an awful penalty early in a game that we get scored on, or get burned on a mindless odd man rush that was pointlessly given away.

Right up there with goaltending, the PK has to get better and it has to get better quick. Goaltending is a part of that, but the PK in general hasn't been right since the calendar turned to December and it is absolutely killing us. We will never win the penalties for/against +/- so we need to figure out the PK to have a hope at winning a game.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The question is, who does calling out his play help?

does it help Koskinen? No, not really. He’s already quite clearly someone who struggles with confidence and getting thrown under the bus publicly by the coach and media is definitely not going to help his play (in fact it could do quite the opposite).

does it help the other players? Not if Koskinen needs to be relied on again if/when Smith goes down and his game continues to falter because of this.

does it help the coach? Maybe in the moment, but overall no, since everyone is blasting him for the comments

does it help the organization? If anything it makes us look even more Mickey Mouse than usual.

I understand being frustrated (we all are), but there’s a difference being a fan and a coach. We have some leeway to be reactionary because we’re not employed by the organization and don’t make choices of any consequence.

If this was any other job than paying professional athletes millions of dollars a year to play a game I would agree. They play this game in the public eye and are paid handsomely for it. If a coach cannot tell the truth to the media, which are publicly grilling him about his job security, about not one but two plays that were inexcusable, and that goalie cannot handle the heat then that goalie needs to go sell life insurance or become a mechanic.

And these were stupid, egregious mistakes made at the beginning of a critical game at a critical time. Koskinen let his coach down, his team down, his fans down, and himself down. He deserves any grilling the coach might make in the media. Fully deserved.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If this was any other job than paying professional athletes millions of dollars a year to play a game I would agree. They play this game in the public eye and are paid handsomely for it. If a coach cannot tell the truth to the media, which are publicly grilling him about his job security, about not one but two plays that were inexcusable, and that goalie cannot handle the heat then that goalie needs to go sell life insurance or become a mechanic.

And these were stupid, egregious mistakes made at the beginning of a critical game at a critical time. Koskinen let his coach down, his team down, his fans down, and himself down. He deserves any grilling the coach might make in the media. Fully deserved.
If they had any stones they'd call out the front office for putting out such a pathetic roster.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Why do you hate your stomach?
It began long ago

This story takes place somewhere in 1886

my stomach had always been good to me…… till one day it decided to embarrass me in front of my barbarian friends and throw up on them during a drinking contest. The fellow barbarians were not impressed with me at all. I vowed from that day on, I would strengthen my intestines and train to the greater strengths of goodness this world had to offer. My journey continues overseas as I fought many battles that included
The barberic McDonald’s
Burger King
A and W
And many many more

to this day…. My fight is not over

:) didn’t even ask for a fee. You can read that story as many times as you want. Even read it to your kids :)

I have plenty of other stories if you’re interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino