Pre-Game Talk: Lers vs Leafs - Jan 4, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
yeah that would be my biggest concern too. Smith and him splitting duties could be interesting. I just don't see a ton out there that I really like as goalie options.
Maybe Oilers give Konovalov a start and he ends up being Binnington haha
It's funny to see this:

upload_2022-1-5_14-57-13.png

We had him for free.lol

Oopps.. didn't include name ... Justin Stolarz

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The blame is strictly on Holland... eg. you could put Scrivens in the net or Justin Pogge.. you can call them out all you want. Pavelec is still around. July 2019 and same goalies. It hasn't worked and I didn't need to see it a third time. Lots of teams have changed goalies, made trades since July 2019. In fact, without googling. I'm willing to say maybe only 5 out 31 teams have the same goalie tandem that they had in July of 2019. And I'll bet everything that those 5 teams have an elite goalie as one of them.

There were seriously posters mad Tipp wasn't calling out his goalie?

Yeah, even people saying he was lying, sugar coating, smoothin over the obvious etc. The same variety that say Tippett should show more emotion, shoot from the hip, call spades spades are now speciously inclined to call out the same.

people also have said for years Tippett should be more vocal about the officiating and penalties being called and not called. Tippett has done that plenty this season. I come here on GDT's and its like it never happened. Posters saying "Tippett should get emotional" he should call out that shit. Then you find out some of the posters saying it didnt even watch the game.

At this point Tippett has to go. I'm not disputing it. But the rationales for it are pretty all over the place. They need focus on the team being mired in a huge slump. There doesn't have to be a lot of made up reasons which just seem specious.

nor does one have to even preclude the coach has "lost the room" Under this coach the team has lost obtaining results. In a performance game, thats when coaches get fired.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My current position is that Mikko is a problem that we can't trust with any significant load, or important games. I
a lot of people had that position 2 years ago (maybe you too).

Goes back to Holland not doing anything.

I think some are mistaking people being pissed at Tipp throwing Mikko under a bus with 'I think Mikko is great'. It's Reider all over again.

Mikko didn't suddenly become bad, he's always been this way... inconsistent.

Reactions: bone

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Could you be more specific?

Thats like saying whats up with Cheerios.
I'll tell you what's up with Cheerios. They're crunchy, round and cold. Kids aim at them when they're learning how how to use the toilet. A vastly inferior option at the breakfast table.

Oatmeal on the other hand, warm on these winter mornings, they'll put some hair on your chest, and the ladies can't resist a good old fashioned Oatmeal Man. Oatmeal is where it's at.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I think some are mistaking people being pissed at Tipp throwing Mikko under a bus with 'I think Mikko is great'. It's Reider all over again.

And also interesting that we've had the same 2 guys for three full years now, where we weren't sure we could trust either of them to lead this team far at any given point, yet the two guys we gave up the year before are now performing significantly better than either guy.

Reactions: Czechboy

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Yeah, Koskinen has always been a subpar goalie. Tippett talking about Koskinen seems more like a challenge to the GM than anything, but it still comes across a little like a business owner getting mad at the jr high student he put in charge of his company's finances for screwing up an audit.

Reactions: Czechboy

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'll tell you what's up with Cheerios. They're crunchy, round and cold. Kids aim at them when they're learning how how to use the toilet. A vastly inferior option at the breakfast table.

Oatmeal on the other hand, warm on these winter mornings, they'll put some hair on your chest, and the ladies can't resist a good old fashioned Oatmeal Man. Oatmeal is where it's at.

I wish i would have thought of that.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Easy fix. Our wingers play way too low in their end and too far in. All the teams cycling us to death are using their wide open D.

Pinch higher and cut the board pass out. Boom.

Tippett....you getting this

How much is this personnel? RNH is a soft cover player that eats a lot of minutes here. he backs off of everything, except if he see's a loose puck somewhere then he jumps.

On the same team Pulju is more agressive to the points and pucks. Yama to some extent as well but just too small to really win many of those.

This team doesn't seem to have any Peca, Pisani, Torres agressive pinch forwards.

Drai on back check steals a lot of pucks but he's not so great in zone either and tends to park.

This lineup in general doesn't play with a lot of confidence in own zone. They play tentative. Is that coaching or goaltending learned?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I actually think a Koskinen for Mrazek could make sense. Leafs need cap to sign Campbell next year. Mrazek is a good goalie when healthy. Mrazek is on a 3.8M for this year and 2 more, not a bad contract.

This would be horrendous. The one good thing about Koskinen is that he has an expiring contract. To commit several more years to Koskinen tier goalie would be the ultimate fail.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
people also have said for years Tippett should be more vocal about the officiating and penalties being called and not called. Tippett has done that plenty this season. I come here on GDT's and its like it never happened. Posters saying "Tippett should get emotional" he should call out that shit. Then you find out some of the posters saying it didnt even watch the game.
I've definitely read this one!

Funny Czech side note (I know, I know)... the czech national team coach is a stoic statue on the bench. So when we lose he gets blamed for not enough emotion. So the media posted videos on him during practice.. he's screaming and hollering and very emotional.lol He just keeps it cool during the game.

I made the joke awhile ago... picture the 3 of us - you, Tipp and me get together in a pub after he gets fired... we have a few beers, good chat...

What is our reply to this statement:

'They fired me becuase I couldn't win a cup with Koski/smith as goalies and my D included Keith and Barrie'

Yes I know Keith has been decent. I'm all for a firing but the man was a dealt a shit hand. He didn't do much to fix it but no coach is coming in with this roster and winning a cup.

I'd fire him for sake of change. Get the boys going for a few games. A new voice. But I wouldn't say he is the biggest problem. It's the shit roster that Holland has created.. next years offseason is brutal.. Nurse doubles in salary, still need a goalie, JP needs a raise, Yam needs a contract and Ryan, Kieth, Smith, Barrie, Kassian, Shore and KK are all back. Our 6D are the same but I don't think they'll be a year better, just a year older and cost 4 million more (Nurse)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've watched nearly every pre/post-game interview Tippett has done this year. Whenever the topic of Koskinen letting in bad goals comes up, he skirts around the issue and says it's on the whole team and that they have to start better.

Tippett has been biting his tongue the whole season and the one time he lets his frustration out (which I think is justified), everyone is saying how Tippett (now considered 100% evil and wrong about everything) shouldn't have said it.

I want a new coach but I have no problem with what Tippett said. This is like the 300th time Kosko has done this. He makes the most basic mistakes. Having Kosko in net must be so stressful for the players. One slight mistake and there's like an 90% chance the puck is in your net.

A rare reasonable view on this.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Add it to the pile of shit from Dave. That’s it, that’s all.

He’s made a bad situation worse. The guy never shows any emotion and decides to have a fit about that. Well done, Dave

Not saying that Tippett was right for calling it out in public but FFS, Koskinen sailed a puck over the glass, mishandling the puck again leaving a wide open net goal and then mishandled it again shortly thereafter in a game that the Oilers started off with some strong shifts in a game that they needed badly. I'd be pissed off as all hell too if I was the coach in this particular instance. That was Beer League shit by Koskinen.

Again, not saying he should have called it out in the presser but his emotion in this particular instance was understood.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Spector is such an idiot. Yeah, they’re losing because of McLeod.

Seems par for the course. Blame the current position on a rookie that's actually performing reasonably well in a position higher than they should be in the lineup. Though I think that was moreso meant as a shot at Holland since he didn't bring in a proper third line centre in the off season.

Reactions: joestevens29

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Kyle Turris on a PP1 in 2022 is the funniest god damn thing I’ve seen in a while. This has looped around to being hilarious.

I haven’t been more excited for an oilers game in forever
Incoming Turris Hattie.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Spector is such an idiot. Yeah, they’re losing because of McLeod.

The lack of a 3rd line center is a real issue though. McLeod has held his head above water in a small sample size but it has been, by and large, arguably the biggest issue for the Oilers for YEARS with this year being no different.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Also interesting that he came here from the Talbot trade. Either one of those guys would look better than our current options.

Indeed. Tough thing with Talbot was the 1st shot goals were at a meme level here that season. I think Stolarz took some time to get to where he is today as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad