Leo Komarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I really like Komarov, and what he brings to the table. I love his work ethic, and there probably is some truth to the post that we aren't used to that in recent years. At the end of the day, no player should be untouchable in a rebuild, including Komarov. If there was a fantastic deal on the table, that would likely improve the team long-term, you've got to consider it. I'm not a seller, but I would listen to offers. It's going to take an overpayment, probably sold to a Stanley Cup contender, so we are talking a mid to late twenties first rounder... I'd probably want a reasonable prospect or another pick in addition to that. Don't want to pay that... I'm ok keeping him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If I'd have told anyone of us that a team that had the number 1 picks in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 plus the 7th in 2013 and 3rd in 2014 would still be a struggling NHL team in 2016 AND also have acquired the generational 1st overall in 2015, none of us would believe it. How did it happen? Lack of quality veteran leadership and compete from the balance of the team's lineup making them a butter soft shinny team, that's how.

Shedding off all vets with attributes shared by Komarov is how we might make this happen in Toronto.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I'd have told anyone of us that a team that had the number 1 picks in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 plus the 7th in 2013 and 3rd in 2014 would still be a struggling NHL team in 2016 AND also have acquired the generational 1st overall in 2015, none of us would believe it. How did it happen? Lack of quality veteran leadership and compete from the balance of the team's lineup making them a butter soft shinny team, that's how.

Shedding off all vets with attributes shared by Komarov is how we might make this happen in Toronto.

Toronto has great leadership in it's Management that can't be overlooked... and veteran leadership can be picked up by way of UFA relatively cheap... and we still have plenty of veteran players at this point.

We can't sell them all... but if we get great offers, we shouldn't dismiss them without hearing.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
It wasn't comparison it was example by the way.
Komarov is really liked player in the locker room and every player in the team loves Leo.
When maple-leafs doing their rebuild they'll need veteran players like Leo for mentoring younger players.

When European player comes to NHL he doesn't know much about organisation,team management, and player development system.
That's why veteran leadership and veteran mentoring is really important for prospects.

If you want examples look Jagr mentoring for Barkov in Florida or Toews and Kane mentoring Teravainen in Chicago.
Point is that if those guys can mentoring young Finn ( Barkov and Teravainen).
Why Leo can't do same for Marner,Nylander,Timashov and Kapanen.

I completely agree and Leo is a great mentor/player but there will also be some good mentors available via free agency. I would love to see Leo here for his entire career but if a 1st round pick is offered I'm sorry but he's on his way out.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Not turning this into an Oilers thread, but you are completely oversimplifying the Oilers issues over the last 4 years. Also rebuilds take longer than 6 years regardless of draft position.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
One 1st??? Any team likely trading isn't going to have a very high 1st round pick. I wouldn't be giving up Komarov for some mid to low 1st.

It would definitely have to be 1st++. Leo coudl be just hitting his prime and has a decent contract. <$3M for the next couple years is a steal. The team isn't getting some short-term rental end-of-year cast away. Definitely 1st + prospect or 1st + additional picks

I think people overvalue Leo. He's a good 3rd liner. I understand he is valuable to the team in other ways than on the ice but any 1st rd pick would be enough for me to move him. His value will likely go down next year and continue going down from now on. May never get a 1st for him later than now. If you have an opportunity to sell a maxed out good 3rd liner for any 1st I think you do it.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Toronto has great leadership in it's Management that can't be overlooked... and veteran leadership can be picked up by way of UFA relatively cheap... and we still have plenty of veteran players at this point.

We can't sell them all... but if we get great offers, we shouldn't dismiss them without hearing.

Doubtless that in 2010 Edmonton's management thought they could easily source veteran leadership as UFAs and through trade. And doubtless that in 2010 many fans of that team thought the team was in good hands as well.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I see Komo as I saw Kulemin. Kuli too worked really hard, used to hit and used to score goals. He did it when he was 26 and we thought we finally have someone coming up through our system

Instead we waited too long, got nothing in return and the player himself declined.

I like Komo but we forget he has had concussion issues, and the type of style he plays doesn't help. People can't forget we are still rebuilding. That means we get valuable asset, that's a chance we must take

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Doubtless that in 2010 Edmonton's management thought they could easily source veteran leadership as UFAs and through trade. And doubtless that in 2010 many fans of that team thought the team was in good hands as well.

Why do you keep bringing up the Oilers in a Komarov thread? Edmonton had "veteran" leadership in 2010. Didn't take them very far. In fact Dustin Penner was the same age as Komarov when he was traded and I think the return was decent.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I hope we do trade Komarov. Because as much as I like the guy, his trade value is higher than ever right now. If we trade him, it's because we got a great offer. If we keep him, it's because we didn't get a great offer, and keeping him is fine too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If someone was willing to pay a 1st +________ for Leo, you shake his hand and go "thank you very much for your service for the Leafs." and you replace that factor.

now. this is the question of the day
What is that factor. Likewhat is it about Leo everyone keeps going "nooo. nooo. we can't..."

is it the fact that he hits?
is it that he's a veteran third line player?
is it that he's "uncle Leo" and he trolls people?

like. there are aspects like him that we can replace if necessary.
and the dismissal of a pick (because of whatever statistical reason) needs to end, because ultimately - everything has a risk. we could NOT trade leo, and then Leo can't play next year. deal with tomorrow's problems tomorrow I say.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If someone was willing to pay a 1st +________ for Leo, you shake his hand and go "thank you very much for your service for the Leafs." and you replace that factor.

What is that factor. Likewhat is it about Leo everyone keeps going "nooo. nooo. we can't..."

and the dismissal of a pick (because of whatever statistical reason) needs to end, because ultimately - everything has a risk. we could NOT trade leo, and then Leo can't play next year. deal with tomorrow's problems tomorrow I say.

Well said. He's a great player but not irreplaceable. If we had better players on our team, Komarov's worth wouldn't be looked at the same way.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Yuo I agree. On the trade board most teams were willing to trade a previous 1st round pick and a 3rd or 2nd. Not realky enticing as far as I am concerned.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I would take the pick and run - 1st rounder for a 3rd line winger is a good catch

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Sad that despite 100 years of history we still haven't learned when to properly cash out on a fan favorite.

Komarov is a good but not great player yet may bring back a great return.

Players like him play a style that results in them slowing down over time due to wear and tear.

History tells me that the point when people want him moved the least is probably the smartest time to move him as that's when we maximize the return on the asset.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leafs #1 objective should be to get as many 1sts in as many ways as possible for THIS fantastic draft class.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Per my post, 5 languages, and more and more Euro free agents are signing only with teams that have a good track record for welcoming and settling in Euro FAs.

Leo has a super-unique skill set in that respect. There is no way to replace that even if you try locking Gardiner in a room with Rosetta Stone courses.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
When Babcock and Shanahan talk about honouring the Maple Leaf, being a good person, and building the right kind of culture, the first man I think of is Leo Komarov. He WANTS to be a Maple Leaf. He bleeds for this team and is one of the most integral pieces we have. It does not make sense to trade him for a late first / player that will take two or three years to become even half as effective as he is. He's hardly over the hill and will be an incredibly valuable piece for a very long time. HF suffers from a strange echo chamber where every 1st is a potential superstar and every player not on their ELC is over the hill. Leo is one of our best assets and absolutely should not be moved unless some GM offers up a ridiculous bundle.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I see Komo as I saw Kulemin. Kuli too worked really hard, used to hit and used to score goals. He did it when he was 26 and we thought we finally have someone coming up through our system

Instead we waited too long, got nothing in return and the player himself declined.

I like Komo but we forget he has had concussion issues, and the type of style he plays doesn't help. People can't forget we are still rebuilding. That means we get valuable asset, that's a chance we must take

Kulemin had 15 goals last season (31 points). Really not bad for a defensive forward like him. I would love to have him back and think he could become a really good player under Babcock.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why do you keep bringing up the Oilers in a Komarov thread? Edmonton had "veteran" leadership in 2010. Didn't take them very far. In fact Dustin Penner was the same age as Komarov when he was traded and I think the return was decent.

Penner was a lumbering big guy with good hands who hardly ever threw bodychecks and wasn't
much of a defensive player. Not a really a comparable to Komarov. More comparable to JVR minus the skating.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
When Babcock and Shanahan talk about honouring the Maple Leaf, being a good person, and building the right kind of culture, the first man I think of is Leo Komarov. He WANTS to be a Maple Leaf. He bleeds for this team and is one of the most integral pieces we have. It does not make sense to trade him for a late first / player that will take two or three years to become even half as effective as he is. He's hardly over the hill and will be an incredibly valuable piece for a very long time. HF suffers from a strange echo chamber where every 1st is a potential superstar and every player not on their ELC is over the hill. Leo is one of our best assets and absolutely should not be moved unless some GM offers up a ridiculous bundle.

I would take a 1st round pick for Komarov. We can't be too attached to players who are 29 and not part of our core. We can have another Komarov one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad