Leo Komarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
100% trade him. This stupid talk of not trading him is typical of the leafs

He could bring in a huge piece of the puzzle down the line. Top prospect or 1st rder

Then you resign him long term in the offseason

doubt he would get a Top prospect maybe a lottery protected first at most. Hes signed up until the end of the 17-18 season so you cant resign him in the off season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
While I like Komarov, he's 29, and like guys like Ott, Tucker, Prust, they tend to break down earlier than most. Sell high if the deal is there.

I think leaf fans are so used to mediocre players, lousy work-ethic, quitters etc that when someone actually does play hard, he's over-valued.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
100% trade him. This stupid talk of not trading him is typical of the leafs

He could bring in a huge piece of the puzzle down the line. Top prospect or 1st rder

Then you resign him long term in the offseason

You mean resign him in 2018 when he hits UFA again? :shakehead

I actually think the talk of trading him is typical of these boards getting more excited with the 'unknown potential' of a late 1st / 2nd round pick vs. actually looking at what a guy can bring to the massive influx of kids entering the dressing room over the next 2-3 years.

Phillipe Paradis, Dylan Olsen, Carter Ashton, Simon Despres, Mark Visentin, Charlie Coyle, Emerson Etem, Brock Nelson - those are the late 1st round picks from 2009 & 2010 .... and except for maybe Brock Nelson, I don't see any of them 'being a key piece' to our future.

It's a crap shoot by that time of the draft, where the 25-30 we 'supposedly' get for Komorov won't be much different than the 45 - 55 pick we can get for multiple other assets on our roster.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Why leafs should trade Leo?.
That's really foolish to even think about right now.

Leo is playing his best regular season ever in NHL.
Of course his trade value is really high but is there any sense to trade him

Every Leaf fan probably remembers how leafs traded Tuukka Rask.
And that was hugest mistake what leafs management has ever made of.

Hopefully your management wont made that-kind mistake again.
Leo is a maple leaf and he should stay there even during the rebuild.

I don't know how easy is found someone else player who's even close to Leo's caliber. But everything is possible.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I would shed a tear. I am a huge fan, but everyone (including fans and management) need to realize the big picture and be the team that is ready to "eventually" compete - rather than worrying about our love for the grind, or hero-syndrome with these fan favourites.

If someone goes bonkers on a deal for Leo; we would be nuts not to look at it.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
If I was offered a first round pick he'd be gone within seconds. Your love affair with Komarov is funny but your incorrect about the bolded

One 1st??? Any team likely trading isn't going to have a very high 1st round pick. I wouldn't be giving up Komarov for some mid to low 1st.

It would definitely have to be 1st++. Leo coudl be just hitting his prime and has a decent contract. <$3M for the next couple years is a steal. The team isn't getting some short-term rental end-of-year cast away. Definitely 1st + prospect or 1st + additional picks

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Why leafs should trade Leo?.
That's really foolish to even think about right now.

Leo is playing his best regular season ever in NHL.
Of course his trade value is really high but is there any sense to trade him

Every Leaf fan probably remembers how leafs traded Tuukka Rask.
And that was hugest mistake what leafs management has ever made of.

Hopefully your management wont made that-kind mistake again.
Leo is a maple leaf and he should stay there even during the rebuild.

I don't know how easy is found someone else player who's even close to Leo's caliber. But everything is possible.

Rask was what, 18, when we traded him?

Not really a fair comparison there. If we had an 18 year old Rask in our system right now he would be untouchable.

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Komarov is a 3rd line energy character player on a good team, but a NHL All-Star on the Leafs.

Playoff contending teams would be offering assets that would fit with a 3rd line player while Leafs would want 1st line top forward return to depart with Leo.

I don't see any team willing to part with enough that Lou would feel its worth it, as Leo to the Leafs value would be higher than the return so they will keep him.

Komarov is better than a 3rd line player. He's a top 6 player on any team in this league.

Babcock loves the guy because he's so versatile and can be used in any situation.

He'll be wearing a letter on his jersey and every team in this league needs veterans who can mentor the younger kids. Look at how the Oilers imploded after Ryan Smyth retired. Veteran leadership is a critical part of the rebuild.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he were part of a package for Drouin or Hamonic, I think I would consider that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Komarov is better than a 3rd line player. He's a top 6 player on any team in this league.

Babcock loves the guy because he's so versatile and can be used in any situation.

He'll be wearing a letter on his jersey and every team in this league needs veterans who can mentor the younger kids. Look at how the Oilers imploded after Ryan Smyth retired. Veteran leadership is a critical part of the rebuild.

You forgot the word "non" in front of team in your sentence above when suggesting top 6 player. ;)

I love Leo and and appreciate everything he brings to the Leafs, but he would be just as happy and effective if you took away his hockey stick and just let he skate around out there doing his thing, hitting, blocking shots, agitating etc.

No question teams need veteran presence and leadership and Leo provides that in spades but his skillset is not top 6 caliber. You can't confuse heart & effort with hockey talent. We are talking intangibles verses tangibles here.

Even on the Leafs team in the near future if Komarov stays he will be bumped out of the Top 6 when Nylander, Marner and others join the team and the talent level increases of the top 6.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Komarov is a 3rd line energy character player on a good team, but a NHL All-Star on the Leafs.

Playoff contending teams would be offering assets that would fit with a 3rd line player while Leafs would want 1st line top forward return to depart with Leo.

I don't see any team willing to part with enough that Lou would feel its worth it, as Leo to the Leafs value would be higher than the return so they will keep him.

Even if that was true, he would be among the best if not the best 3rd line player in the league.

You win Stanley Cups with these kind of guys on your 3rd line. People undervalue these roles because they are not flashy or make highlight roles but having one of the best 3rd liners in the league for under $3M is worth quite a bit.

The 3rd line is not for your 7-9th best players as some people seem to think. It is for your BEST shutdown energy players which in many games throughout a season can make a HUUUUUGE difference.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Leafs… according to Rogers will be better next year.

So, with all the youth coming, you'll need some win now type guys to deliver on that promise to rocket up to the 20th place in the standings. A rookie team is likely to be worse.

I would wager that Komarov will stay.

A real rebuild would involve trading players at their peak and recovering what you can so that you have a peaking team years down the road.

But that's not what we are likely to do… so 47 probably stays.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
While I like Komarov, he's 29, and like guys like Ott, Tucker, Prust, they tend to break down earlier than most. Sell high if the deal is there.

I think leaf fans are so used to mediocre players, lousy work-ethic, quitters etc that when someone actually does play hard, he's over-valued.

There's some truth to this but how do you break this cycle of lousy/inconsistent work ethic/quitters? Do you start by clearing the roster of every body who possesses positive work ethics just because they have some trade value. You're left crossing your fingers that the perennial slackers who remain change their ways or that the youth who come in magically acquire a championship ethic from a vacuum.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Even if that was true, he would be among the best if not the best 3rd line player in the league.

You win Stanley Cups with these kind of guys on your 3rd line. People undervalue these roles because they are not flashy or make highlight roles but having one of the best 3rd liners in the league for under $3M is worth quite a bit.

The 3rd line is not for your 7-9th best players as some people seem to think. It is for your BEST shutdown energy players which in many games throughout a season can make a HUUUUUGE difference.

$3 mil or less is what you ideally pay 3rd liners in the NHL, while top 6 offensive forwards tend to earn more.

Komarov's salary alone is indicative of his perceived position on a teams depth chart and the role you expect him to fill.

For the Leafs team (low on offensive talent) Komarov has more goals (17) then the departed Phil Kessel (15) does this year, but that doesn't make them equal in top 6 talent.

I'm not diminishing Leo's impact on a team and I can see many teams wanting him for all he brings to the table, but the competitive ones (playoff teams) would want him in their bottom 6 not top 6 and PP#1 but rather their PK#1 unit.

3rd line energy, checker and shutdown role is the perfect fit for Komarov's skill set.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Rask was what, 18, when we traded him?

Not really a fair comparison there. If we had an 18 year old Rask in our system right now he would be untouchable.

It wasn't comparison it was example by the way.
Komarov is really liked player in the locker room and every player in the team loves Leo.
When maple-leafs doing their rebuild they'll need veteran players like Leo for mentoring younger players.

When European player comes to NHL he doesn't know much about organisation,team management, and player development system.
That's why veteran leadership and veteran mentoring is really important for prospects.

If you want examples look Jagr mentoring for Barkov in Florida or Toews and Kane mentoring Teravainen in Chicago.
Point is that if those guys can mentoring young Finn ( Barkov and Teravainen).
Why Leo can't do same for Marner,Nylander,Timashov and Kapanen.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Komarov is not an irreplaceable player in the league nor the Leafs. That being said, he is a Leaf fan favorite, plays the right way and is pretty versatile. Unless we get an overpayment, I keep him. Very little reason to trade him for a late 2nd rounder.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agree and disagree. Dominic Moore was a fantastic role player who could have stabilized the Burke rebuild somewhat. But he was traded for a good return (2nd round pick) who turned out to be a waste (Jesse Blacker). Depends on what you get for Komarov and what you do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad