Leo Komarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
100% trade him. This stupid talk of not trading him is typical of the leafs

He could bring in a huge piece of the puzzle down the line. Top prospect or 1st rder

Then you resign him long term in the offseason
Who would be that top prospect or 1st rounder you say?

Not better than Komarov I guarantee that. He does everything a hockey player can on the ice. Everything and even more. Even Kessel's presense he made up. He has scored more, hit more, defended more and lead more. See what I'm saying? Kessel makes other teams worse. Komarov makes them better. No player can be better than komarov. McDavid can score a lot, Eichel can score a lot. Komarov can score a lot too. Mcdavid and Eichel will never be able to play defensive game better than komarov or PK. Nore will they hit better than komarov ether. I would not trade komarov for a first round pick, never.

We would be searching for a player like komarov for ages. The raiders of the lost ark long is what I'm talking about long. Never find these types of gems. It's also about entertainment while winning. Komarov entertains and is the best players. Wow.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Wow. The greatest player ever narrative for Komarov is getting a little tiring. He's at best a 2nd liner. Not necessarily easy to replace but certainly not untouchable.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
and why? why not. 25-30. is still 1 more shot at choosing someone really special. Like I said - a lot of people I feel so wrapped up in 'well it's just a late 1st" or "it's just a 2nd" or it's "only a 4th."

Let Mark Hunter etc, do his job. get someone really great. (or - if it's prospects - trust the scouting/Lou to think this guy is great).

I am dead serious here. It would be one thing if Komarov had like 4-5 years left and not as old as he is. (and before anyone says anything - everyone knows that I am not against signing or trading for older players north for support as long as they can continue to contribute). but with the physical way that Leo plays - and how the team will be - i'd firmly look to see who on the Marlies could be "Leo"-ish.

It's Leo. Komarov.

and. so. what are you doing in two years? are you going to keep on paying him 3 million ++ so he can continue to be a Maple Leaf? I personally don't that is mattering as much as people are making it out to be. Case in point - the way they are going on about Dion - he is exactly what it is like to be a Maple Leaf. Hunwick is what it is like to be a Maple Leaf.

do you see my point?
the "cost" means nothing really if they're doing what you need them to do.
and everyone can be had at a price.

We could sign Stamkos and HE could be what it means to be a Maple Leaf to touch on your next point:

A: the language thing is such a copout i feel. like.
1: if it's learning a new language. it's Toronto. We've GOT language schools
2: the Euro-Russian kids are coming up together so they've got that bond already so Leo being the bridge that unites us all.. i'm not seeing it

(she says as someone who lived and worked in a complete foreign control. you learn, and adapt. and I didn't have a 1 billion dollar corporation behind me ensuring that i do well).

B: that's not my job. that would be Hunter and his staff. Or Lou. but these types had if you find them

oh. and in our organization?

i'd like to volunteer Conner Brown as tribute.

Where your experience differs from that of a Soshnikov, for example, is that Soshnikov had many GMs throwing their best offers at him to sign with their team.

Could Soshnikov survive in TO if left to his own devices? Sure, probably. Does having a guy like Komarov make the transition easier? Sure does. And he's got versatility because he has that effect with Finns, Swedes, Russians... He's a travelled, smart, hard-working guy. Great role model on and off the ice.

Here is the crux. Every. Advantage. Matters.

You do know we were one of the contenders for Artemi Panarin? But we lost out because Chicago had a better reputation for transitioning Russians to the NHL.

We lost some street cred with Petri Kontiola.

We won the Zaitsev sweepstakes, and I guarantee when people see the value that we landed there, they will be wanting more of that good stuff. And we get that good stuff by having a good reputation.

Shanahan has good contacts in Russia/the KHL, but sometimes that isn't enough. Every. Advantage. Matters.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Where your experience differs from that of a Soshnikov, for example, is that Soshnikov had many GMs throwing their best offers at him to sign with their team.

Could Soshnikov survive in TO if left to his own devices? Sure, probably. Does having a guy like Komarov make the transition easier? Sure does. And he's got versatility because he has that effect with Finns, Swedes, Russians... He's a travelled, smart, hard-working guy. Great role model on and off the ice.

You do know we were one of the contenders for Artemi Panarin? But we lost out because Chicago had a better reputation for transitioning Russians to the NHL.

We won the Zaitsev sweepstakes, and I guarantee when people see the value that we landed there, they will be wanting more of that good stuff. And we get that good stuff by having a good reputation.

Shanahan has good contacts in Russia/the KHL, but sometimes that isn't enough. Every. Advantage. Matters.

I think the fact that Panarin was going to be playing with Kane and that Chicago had a strong winning tradition was why we lost him, not that Chicago had a reputation re: transitioning Russians. (also. really? - legit question - seriously?)

why would we have lost street credit with petri Kontiola. He didn't want to play in the AHL and he wasn't good in the NHL off he went.

Honestly, you are making it sound like I am saying that the organization isn't going to be a part of it - which is not what I am saying. I am sure they help everyone international come in. but saying that Komarov is the cherry on the sundae and will make it better is silly, and it just leaves it up to - we can NEVER let Leo go or we'd NEVER get international people, because how would they adapt.

Last edited:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

Great post. You can't teach heart. Leo has it in SPADES.

The potential careers of all our young guns coming into the NHL will be exponentially better with the coaching of Babcock and the on ice example set by Komarov.

You cannot underestimate the role of a veteran in the lineup, a veteran who will set the standard for hard work and giving it your all. The Oilers don't have such leadership. The Panthers do with Jagr, and look at the incredible season they are having. Their rookies are lighting it up and they are on their way to a Stanley Cup.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How much are you willing to pay him after his contract runs out in 2 years, though? I am sure he will be looking at more than 2.8 a season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Great post. You can't teach heart. Leo has it in SPADES.

The potential careers of all our young guns coming into the NHL will be exponentially better with the coaching of Babcock and the on ice example set by Komarov.

You cannot underestimate the role of a veteran in the lineup, a veteran who will set the standard for hard work and giving it your all. The Oilers don't have such leadership. The Panthers do with Jagr, and look at the incredible season they are having. Their rookies are lighting it up and they are on their way to a Stanley Cup.

are you seriously comparing the Panthers having Jagr. Jamomir Jagr to the Leafs having Leo. Komarov?

talk about one being an apple and one being an orange.

not to mention they also have Willie Mitchell (cup winning defenseman), Roberto Luongo playing some of his best hockey and all of their drafted players coming of age. and - added to that, Jagr. they all contribute.

and two were traded for, and one was signed in the off-season - emphasising my point that those attributes can totally be found. you lose one, you gain another.but Jagr would not have been the example I would have chosen to make a point in this scenario.

How much are you willing to pay him after his contract runs out in 2 years, though? I am sure he will be looking at more than 2.8 a season.

good question.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I believe he will be gone over the next 2 seasons. I see pretty much every player on this team that is slated to be a UFA over the next 2 seasons traded. I really do.

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
a late first rounder isn't enough for what Uncle Leo provides.

if it's only picks we get back, I would be asking for a first, and a second rounder, deferred to next year if need be.

if it's a prospect, for example Drouin, I'd want a third rounder. a lesser prospect like Mantha or someone like him, I want a second

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Who would be that top prospect or 1st rounder you say?

Not better than Komarov I guarantee that. He does everything a hockey player can on the ice. Everything and even more. Even Kessel's presense he made up. He has scored more, hit more, defended more and lead more. See what I'm saying? Kessel makes other teams worse. Komarov makes them better. No player can be better than komarov. McDavid can score a lot, Eichel can score a lot. Komarov can score a lot too. Mcdavid and Eichel will never be able to play defensive game better than komarov or PK. Nore will they hit better than komarov ether. I would not trade komarov for a first round pick, never.

We would be searching for a player like komarov for ages. The raiders of the lost ark long is what I'm talking about long. Never find these types of gems. It's also about entertainment while winning. Komarov entertains and is the best players. Wow.

The hype train is reaching critical mass

mikebel111*

Man I think we need to quickly trade him. His value is going to go down real fast and we need to get a 1st rounder before its too late.
as they say. Komarov will fall like the sun;)
Work your magic Lou and find a good trade partner for this player. I am hoping its soon that happens. Should be fine.

#goodriddance

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
To me, Komarov represents everything the Leafs weren't. Getting rid of Komarov would be like bringing back David Clarkson. Komarov competes and is rewarded for it. As a UFA, that attitude makes me take notice and makes me want to join the Leafs. Not that he can't be traded, but if he were, it would have to be a deal that would clearly be so good no one could blame the organization.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think the Leafs management put too much stock in "character guys" and went out and picked up players like Komisarek, Clarkson, Bolland, and most recently Polak.
Where did that get them? Polak is a perfect example of someone who plays hard, but noone has a problem trading him.

The example comes from the top right down to the trainers. I believe Shannhan et al are changing the culture and the young guys coming up will see that. There will still be vets around (some we can't get rid of) to insulate the younger guys

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
What kind of a message would it send to the other players on the team if the guy who wears the Maple Leaf with more pride than anyone else on the team and is a shining example of everything Mike Babcock is trying to preach, gets shipped out at the deadline just like that?

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
What kind of a message would it send to the other players on the team if the guy who wears the Maple Leaf with more pride than anyone else on the team and is a shining example of everything Mike Babcock is trying to preach, gets shipped out at the deadline just like that?
Exactly, I just don't see him being traded.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I really hope he's traded. His value will never be higher than it is right now.

He wont still be the player he is today when the Nylanders and Marners have hit their stride.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I really hope he's traded. His value will never be higher than it is right now.

He wont still be the player he is today when the Nylanders and Marners have hit their stride.

Nylander + Marner - Komarov = Edmonton Oilers.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I don't believe he is untouchable, but it all comes down to price.

2nd round pick? You gotta be kidding me. Here are the 2nd round picks from Leo's draft year which have scored more than he has:

Draft # Team Player Pos GP G A Pts

36 San Jose Jamie McGinn L 417 80 70 150
44 Toronto Nikolay Kulemin L 551 104 136 240
45 Edmonton Jeff Petry D 363 25 72 97
47 Detroit Shawn Matthias C 456 73 73 146
50 Boston Milan Lucic L 615 151 221 372
54 NY Rangers Artem Anisimov C 465 103 116 219
63 Carolina Jamie McBain D 336 30 79 109

That gives us a "success rate" of 7/30 - or 8/30 if we consider Michael Neuvirth as a success (despite his lack of scoring :D). That is 26.7 %. IMO not worth the risk.

Again, if we consider the list above again: Komarov has only played 150ish games in the NHL and scored 68 points. That means an 0.44 PPG player, and his current pace this season is 0.67. Who of the above have done better? Kulemin, Lucic, Anisimov. I'd say those 3 are the only players from that list that can be considered better players (not factoring in the intangibles).

So, to sum it up, you have a 10% chance to win in that trade.

How about a 1st round pick? Now we're talking. But it would be a late pick (21-30), because no team other than a legit cup contender would offer that. Let's take a look at those picks from the same year:

22 Philadelphia Claude Giroux C 544 158 332 490
25 St. Louis Patrik Berglund L 526 121 132 253
28 Ottawa Nick Foligno L 588 122 183 305

Add in Semyon Varlamov (#23) and you end up with 4/10 = 40% success rate. Still doesn't sound too good of an offer to pass, but on the other hand you could land a significantly better player if your scouting staff knows their s***.

So, to sum that up, a 1st rounder is an offer you should consider. Personally I wouldn't do it, but I understand those who would.

How about a 1st + an ok prospect? Well, that would be a pretty easy decision to sell, but I can't see any team exactly overpaying that much. Komarov fits so well in Babcock's system that he is much more valuable to the Leafs than any other team. While cup contenders have a habit to overpay at the trade deadline, I don't believe it will be enough to fulfill this value gap.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wow. The greatest player ever narrative for Komarov is getting a little tiring. He's at best a 2nd liner. Not necessarily easy to replace but certainly not untouchable.

Skill wise he is no McDavid but he is always in good position, he plays with an extremely high compete level, he can be a pest, play a little dirty and be an offensive threat, he can defend , kill penalties, he is just a really smart player. He's the Leafs version of a Swiss Army knife.

Not untouchable by any means but think if the Leafs had 12 guys like him on the roster..sure would be a fun team to watch.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I wouldn't sacrifice the culture we are trying to implement for a 2nd round pick or even a 1st round pick. A hard working culture > a late first round pick. Leo needs to stay. His play is infectious.

Leo Komarov is a big part of this culture change.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Feisty forwards who are only moderately skilled often decline around 30, and Komarov is 29. Look ar Ott, Tucker, Clarkson, Clowe, Stoll, Ruutu, etc.

The time to sell high on him is now. Could he be helpful through a rebuild as a leader and to help insulate youth? Potentially, but that's more if he maintains his current level of play, which Im not convinced he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->