Recalled/Assigned: Leivo Recalled

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's not sitting at home eating chips and watching Family Feud. How is this just becoming such an issue when it's happened countless other times with 13F/7D??

Let's throw the Marlies season out the window, because Frankie is little rusty, might as well let him go for nothing and have Valiev or Loov (who haven't shown they are too good for AHL) jump in the deep end in the NHL.

stop and think how idiotic it is to believe the Leafs shouldn't call up players because it may derail the Marlies season

Corrado hasn't proven or should i say he hasn't been given the opportunity to prove he is an NHL defenseman , so there's no way to say that a rusty Frankie would be better than every AHL D we have .

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What are you judging that on?

Judging why practice is not the same as a real NHL game? or did you highlight too much and meant why I think Corrado is better than those liste?

I am going to assume you mean why is he better than those listed. He was playing pretty regularly with the canucks, and canuck fans were pissed he was on waiver and that we took him. Polak is a slug who loses a step every season who has no future in the league within the next 2 yrs (he will be in the league just shouldn't be) hunwick is just awful at the basics of defending and while has had 2 or 3 good games he has far more where he has directly been the cause of goals against. Marincin is at least intriguing enough in that he still young enough to turn it around but I think corrado is better skater and passer which in todays nhl is a better d man

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They see them every day in practice, there are many things we're not privy to. The staff is not infallible but they are also not doing things without reason.

I just don't buy the thought that "Babcock hates ..." makes no sense to me.

I don't think Babcock hates the kid either
It's pretty obvious that he either does not trust Corrado or just straight up thinks he's not good enough which is absolutely fair
Same probably goes for Lievo

If he feels that way what's the point of keeping these types of players?

Even if we get injuries we can cover for them without much problem we have a ton of forwards who look ready and Valiev and Loov in the AHL on the defensive side
Probably more use to since they have been getting steady minutes as well

If we don't want to use them let them go and have an opportunity somewhere else this hurts there development and is not doing much for the team either

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Judging why practice is not the same as a real NHL game? or did you highlight too much and meant why I think Corrado is better than those liste?

I am going to assume you mean why is he better than those listed. He was playing pretty regularly with the canucks, and canuck fans were pissed he was on waiver and that we took him. Polak is a slug who loses a step every season who has no future in the league within the next 2 yrs (he will be in the league just shouldn't be) hunwick is just awful at the basics of defending and while has had 2 or 3 good games he has far more where he has directly been the cause of goals against. Marincin is at least intriguing enough in that he still young enough to turn it around but I think corrado is better skater and passer which in todays nhl is a better d man

I meant if Babcock is only judging him on practices and not games how is everyone else judging him, and know he is better, when they see him even less?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I am going to assume you mean why is he better than those listed. He was playing pretty regularly with the canucks, and canuck fans were pissed he was on waiver and that we took him. Polak is a slug who loses a step every season who has no future in the league within the next 2 yrs (he will be in the league just shouldn't be) hunwick is just awful at the basics of defending and while has had 2 or 3 good games he has far more where he has directly been the cause of goals against. Marincin is at least intriguing enough in that he still young enough to turn it around but I think Corrado is better skater and passer which in todays nhl is a better d man

no Maricin isn't intriguing regardless of his age and I doubt will last the season in a Leafs uniform

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
maybe the league is allowing this for us until the cowen situation is announced?
With absolutely no proof of this, this is what I believe also. This ruling is taking forever and put the Leafs in a very uncertain and unfair position since the start of the season. Who knows, because of this it might be a nudge nudge wink wink thing until it's all resolved.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think Babcock hates the kid either
It's pretty obvious that he either does not trust Corrado or just straight up thinks he's not good enough which is absolutely fair
Same probably goes for Lievo

If he feels that way what's the point of keeping these types of players?

Even if we get injuries we can cover for them without much problem we have a ton of forwards who look ready and Valiev and Loov in the AHL on the defensive side
Probably more use to since they have been getting steady minutes as well

If we don't want to use them let them go and have an opportunity somewhere else this hurts there development and is not doing much for the team either

Babcock decides who to dress, Lou Lam decides who's on the roster. There must be some kind of disconnect between the two.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
there is no point holding onto Corrado. Babs doesn't like him, plays him when people start asking questions for one game. His contract is up at the end of the year so when he doesn't play until then we lose an asset for nothing anyway, why not waive him and use Valiev or Loov for injury call up and see what we have in them?. Decisions need to be made on them soon as well with Dermott and Nielsen not far behind them too
Possibly some of this is due to players qualifying for the expansion draft. I could be wrong but I believe if you're a certain age and played 40 games this year you are eligible. Maybe they are being kept down in the AHL until there are less than 40 games remaining in the line up?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It seems like Leivo has taken a small vacation to Robidas island. Hopefully he's only sightseeing and isn't there for too long.

I'm really interested to see how he can fit into the lineup when he's fully ready.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leivo doesnt beat out any of our wingers right now...even martin, our worst skater skates better than leivo...and for a guy with good size he doesnt play as physical as he should...but he has a good shot and enough skills, so the leafs want to keep him around

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Possibly some of this is due to players qualifying for the expansion draft. I could be wrong but I believe if you're a certain age and played 40 games this year you are eligible. Maybe they are being kept down in the AHL until there are less than 40 games remaining in the line up?

loov is exposed no matter what, in fact that's another reason to see what you have. We are honestly leaving the worst players exposed as it is we are in a position to protect players we don't even really need. we have no NMC to worry about. on d we have Rielly, Gardiner and Carrick

at forward after Kadri, JVR and Brown pick 3 or 4 more you are desperate to keep

Lupul, Joffrey
Laich, Brooks
Bozak, Tyler
Michalek, Milan
Komarov,
Greening, Colin
Martin, Matt
Holland, Peter
Rychel, Kerby
Smith, Ben
Leipsic,
Leivo, Josh
Froese, Byron

if we go 4 forward 4d pick one out of these guys to keep

Polak, Roman 30
Marincin, Martin 24
Hunwick, Matt
Loov, Viktor
Corrado, Frank
Campbell, Andrew

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leivo is hurt again? Sure he is, we believe you Lou

Not sure why we didn't see this coming.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leivo is hurt again? Sure he is, we believe you Lou

Not sure why we didn't see this coming.

shilton just tweeted that no one said he is hurt just he isn't up to speed. She finished that tweet by saying not sure how long leaving him on ir will fly

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
shilton just tweeted that no one said he is hurt just he isn't up to speed. She finished that tweet by saying not sure how long leaving him on ir will fly

if she's right i have no idea how they could put him on IR in the first place

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto Maple Leafs

Forward Josh Leivo has not been cleared to play, according to head coach Mike Babcock. Leivo, 23, suffered a lower-body injury during training camp and has yet to play with the big club this season. He's played five games with the Toronto Marlies on a conditioning stint, but hasn't recorded a point. - Kristen Shilton, TSN

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
loov is exposed no matter what, in fact that's another reason to see what you have. We are honestly leaving the worst players exposed as it is we are in a position to protect players we don't even really need. we have no NMC to worry about. on d we have Rielly, Gardiner and Carrick

at forward after Kadri, JVR and Brown pick 3 or 4 more you are desperate to keep

Lupul, Joffrey
Laich, Brooks
Bozak, Tyler
Michalek, Milan
Komarov,
Greening, Colin
Martin, Matt
Holland, Peter
Rychel, Kerby
Smith, Ben
Leipsic,
Leivo, Josh
Froese, Byron

Polak, Roman 30
Marincin, Martin 24
Hunwick, Matt
Loov, Viktor
Corrado, Frank
Campbell, Andrew

It is not so much who you want to keep as much at is, who must be exposed to reach the minimum exposure qualifications.

Without Marincin here we would be forced to expose Carrick. Marincin is expansion draft fodder IMHO.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It is not so much who you want to keep as much at is, who must be exposed to reach the minimum exposure qualifications.

Without Marincin here we would be forced to expose Carrick. Marincin is expansion draft fodder IMHO.

yeah I was talking about waiving corrado. I have seen a few "mock expansion drafts" where loov is taken who doesn't need any kind of games played to have to be exposed. We were protecting Carrick in my previous post Rielly, Gardiner and Carrick

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

Lupul, Joffrey
Laich, Brooks
Bozak, Tyler
Michalek, Milan
Komarov,
Greening, Colin
Martin, Matt
Holland, Peter
Rychel, Kerby
Smith, Ben
Leipsic,
Leivo, Josh
Froese, Byron

Polak, Roman 30
Marincin, Martin 24
Hunwick, Matt
Loov, Viktor
Corrado, Frank
Campbell, Andrew
.. ... Okay thanks. There goes that theory.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
yeah I was talking about waiving corrado. I have seen a few "mock expansion drafts" where loov is taken who doesn't need any kind of games played to have to be exposed. We were protecting Carrick in my previous post Rielly, Gardiner and Carrick

Absolutely, I think everyone agrees with protecting Carrick. But if not for Marincin, we would be forced to expose Carrick. We have no other dmen who meet all of the 40/70 requirements.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Absolutely, I think everyone agrees with protecting Carrick. But if not for Marincin, we would be forced to expose Carrick. We have no other dmen who meet all of the 40/70 requirements.

yeah I agree but I never said anything about getting rid of Marincin so he would still be here, prime for the picking. I hope Vegas loves the Hyman work ethic it might be the only way we get him away from Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad