Recalled/Assigned: Leivo Recalled

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not sure, I don't really get it myself.

Because you jump to defend this team every time there's any sort of criticism

How many games has Levio played while Babcock has been here? Griffith played what, 3? Corrado?
It's easy to brush them off as fringe players, but then what do you say about Hunwick, Polak, Smith, Marincin while these young guys get no chance?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
there is no point holding onto Corrado. Babs doesn't like him, plays him when people start asking questions for one game. His contract is up at the end of the year so when he doesn't play until then we lose an asset for nothing anyway, why not waive him and use Valiev or Loov for injury call up and see what we have in them?. Decisions need to be made on them soon as well with Dermott and Nielsen not far behind them too

Right, we may lose him for nothing when his contract expires but no reason to lose him for nothing before we have to.

The organization is probably getting a better look at Vailev and Loov by having them playing with the Marlies than sitting in the ACC press box. That's Corrado's job right now. He is being well paid to be a stand in.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

How many games has Levio played while Babcock has been here? Griffith played what, 3? Corrado?
It's easy to brush them off as fringe players, but then what do you say about Hunwick, Polak, Smith, Marincin while these young guys get no chance?

Which has become one of the more frustrating things this season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Obviously their play is what's keeping them out of the lineup.

How do we know that?
Corrado has played 1 game
Is he better than Polak or Hunwick? I don't know but he has to get some games before we know for sure
Is Smith better than Holland? Not from what I've seen
If you don't want to use a guy like Corrado let the kid go what's happening now is not doing anyone any good

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Polak is a legit NHL D man, like it or not.

But yeah, Hunwick not only being kept on the Roster, but in the lineup over a kid like Corrado, while wearing an "A" no less, does make my stomach turn.

That letter would look far better and be far more deserved on Kadri, than Hunwick.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Every team has a Corrado or two.

Injuries are inevitable. He'll very likely get in at some point.

Ridiculous how much time and effort is spent worrying about guys life Griffith or Corrado.

Do you really think Babs put him in for a game becasue people were asking questions? Do you really think Babs cares what's being said on TSN radio?

Additonally, the Marlies have 6 "AHL" dmen. Why get rid of some depth, and be an injury or two away from hurting both the Leafs and Marlies?? Valiev is a 2nd year pro, he doesn't need to be bouncing back and forth this year.

we have players in the ECHL bumped out from the marlies due to depth Brouliard, Jutzi and Doherty sent down last week or week before. Once a player comes to the leafs one of them goes to the marlies.

Don't forget we are sitting 2 D men every game marincin and corrado so I mean it would need to be 2 injuries before we got to Valiev and im sure a few games wont hurt him and will probably help him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

But yeah, Hunwick not only being kept on the Roster, but in the lineup over a kid like Corrado, while wearing an "A" no less, does make my stomach turn.

That letter would look far better and be far more deserved on Kadri, than Hunwick.

Hunwick is not a bad choice for the A, and Hunwick is a lot better than Corrado. I'd argue he's better than Carrick right now too. Hunwick makes some bad bobbles and giveaways, but he's also a guy who plays a major role on a high end PK and is utilized in key defensive roles. He's being overused right now, but he deserves to be in the lineup over the two young guys. Carrick for sure could not handle Hunwick's role and makes a lot more mistakes.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really don't know why people are stress about Leafs not waiving Corrado, Holland, Leivo or whoever. Must be a reason why they are being kept around instead of just let's see if they can go pass waiver. Don't think anyone of us know the reason, just need to trust the MGT. As to why the Leafs won't just let those guys go, it is simple, bc they are the Leafs assets, they might not be useful now but Leafs can afford to have them around. Kind of like having a whole bunch of stuff at your garage and storage room, pretty sure you don't need them, but you are keeping them just in case you do instead of just throwing them out.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Polak shouldn't be in the lineup every game. And he sure as hell shouldn't be in the top pairing.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
we have players in the ECHL bumped out from the marlies due to depth Brouliard, Jutzi and Doherty sent down last week or week before. Once a player comes to the leafs one of them goes to the marlies.

Don't forget we are sitting 2 D men every game marincin and corrado so I mean it would need to be 2 injuries before we got to Valiev and im sure a few games wont hurt him and will probably help him.

Yes, thanks, I know how injuries and affiliations work. I said AHL dmen.

I don't want Doherty, Maggio, etc. playing half the year with the Marlies because of a few injuries on the Leafs. I would much rather have Corrado being insurance on the leafs, and let Loov and Valiev play out the year with the Marlies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I don't want Doherty, Maggio, etc. playing half the year with the Marlies because of a few injuries on the Leafs. I would much rather have Corrado being insurance on the leafs, and let Loov and Valiev play out the year with the Marlies.

what insurance does a player who hasn't played all year provide ?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

We need to send Babcock back to Detroit. He is the worst coach in the league.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

didn't mean to insult there man. as the poster above me said what good insurance is a player with 1 game played going to provide. And that is the point of the ECHL they are there as injury reserves, you said you know how it works a few of those Dmen have AHL deals and one I believe Brouliard has a NHL ELC (could be wrong on this) . Corrado is neither an AHL nor NHL dman at the moment. Loov is 24 corrado is 23 so if Loov needs more time to develop on the marlies maybe Corrado does too?.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Insurance in the sense of being able to be put in the lineup when injuries occur?

Was that not clear in my post?

your post said without hurting the leafs or marlies. Surely a player with 1 game played being pushed into a full time roll would hurt the leafs more than Valiev who has played 13 or Loov 14 and that is just now give it another 20 games valiev and loov ~35 to corrados ~2

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How do we know that?
Corrado has played 1 game
Is he better than Polak or Hunwick? I don't know but he has to get some games before we know for sure
Is Smith better than Holland? Not from what I've seen
If you don't want to use a guy like Corrado let the kid go what's happening now is not doing anyone any good

They see them every day in practice, there are many things we're not privy to. The staff is not infallible but they are also not doing things without reason.

I just don't buy the thought that "Babcock hates ..." makes no sense to me.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
didn't mean to insult there man. as the poster above me said what good insurance is a player with 1 game played going to provide. And that is the point of the ECHL they are there as injury reserves, you said you know how it works a few of those Dmen have AHL deals and one I believe Brouliard has a NHL ELC (could be wrong on this) . Corrado is neither an AHL nor NHL dman at the moment. Loov is 24 corrado is 23 so if Loov needs more time to develop on the marlies maybe Corrado does too?.

He's practicing as much as the rest of them. No team in the league rotates all their subs perfectly in case someone gets rusty. This is not some unheard of foreign situation only affecting the Leafs. 7th/8th Dmen don't play as much as the top 6 if all are healthy. Not groundbreaking.
If an injury or two occured, Corrado would take a game or two to get in the swing of things and be fine.
None of the ECHL dmen have NHL deals, because they are ECHL dmen. Why risk the Marlies season by playing a handful of these guys if we don't have to?? Like I said Marlies have 6 AHL dmen, they don't have the depth they did last season when they had 7 strong AHL dmen to start the year. Dermott is already hurt, if one or both of Loov and Valiev had to fill in on the Leafs, all of the sudden Marlies D is one of the worst in AHL.

Corrado is better than Loov and requires waivers to be sent down, seems like a pretty logical reason for Loov to continue to get development time with Marlies and Corrado not.

Do you think Frankie is crying over making 10x what Loov makes continuing to develop?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's practicing as much as the rest of them. No team in the league rotates all their subs perfectly in case someone gets rusty. This is not some unheard of foreign situation only affecting the Leafs. 7th/8th Dmen don't play as much as the top 6 if all are healthy. Not groundbreaking.
If an injury or two occured, Corrado would take a game or two to get in the swing of things and be fine.
None of the ECHL dmen have NHL deals, because they are ECHL dmen. Why risk the Marlies season by playing a handful of these guys if we don't have to?? Like I said Marlies have 6 AHL dmen, they don't have the depth they did last season when they had 7 strong AHL dmen to start the year. Dermott is already hurt, if one or both of Loov and Valiev had to fill in on the Leafs, all of the sudden Marlies D is one of the worst in AHL.

Corrado is better than Loov and requires waivers to be sent down, seems like a pretty logical reason for Loov to continue to get development time with Marlies and Corrado not.

Do you think Frankie is crying over making 10x what Loov makes continuing to develop?

1 or 2 games to get up to speed after sitting out that long is extremely optimistic , he'd probably take 5 plus game and even then what is he going to give you ?

who gives a damn how the Marlies do , they only exist to develop players for the Leafs

also Corrado makes the same in the AHL as he would in the NHL

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Long and the short of it, every team has a 13th forward and 7th dmen. Lots of them go 10+ games with seeing action.

What's so crazy about Corrado riding the pine. Why is it impossible for him to contribute because he's rusty, but teams have been carrying this many skaters since the 70s?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

ok I guess, practicing is not even close to the same as being in game though so if Babs is judging him on practice it is poor evaluation of talent. I like many think he is better than Hunwick, Polak and Marincin now Polak brings a unique skillset and Marincin is out but I bet first one back in so why cant he play Corrado more than Marincin?. He clearly dislikes what corrado brings.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Long and the short of it, every team has a 13th forward and 7th dmen. Lots of them go 10+ games with seeing action.

What's so crazy about Corrado riding the pine. Why is it impossible for him to contribute because he's rusty, but teams have been carrying this many skaters since the 70s?

those players are Polaks, Hunwicks not 23 yr old dmen who with the right development could be so much more important. A 30+ yr old dman is usually the 7th dman

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
1 or 2 games to get up to speed after sitting out that long is extremely optimistic , he'd probably take 5 plus game and even then what is he going to give you ?

who gives a damn how the Marlies do , they only exist to develop players for the Leafs

also Corrado makes the same in the AHL as he would in the NHL

He's not sitting at home eating chips and watching Family Feud. How is this just becoming such an issue when it's happened countless other times with 13F/7D??

Let's throw the Marlies season out the window, because Frankie is little rusty, might as well let him go for nothing and have Valiev or Loov (who haven't shown they are too good for AHL) jump in the deep end in the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
ok I guess, practicing is not even close to the same as being in game though so if Babs is judging him on practice it is poor evaluation of talent. I like many think he is better than Hunwick, Polak and Marincin now Polak brings a unique skillset and Marincin is out but I bet first one back in so why cant he play Corrado more than Marincin?. He clearly dislikes what corrado brings.

What are you judging that on?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Marincin earned a much longer look then Corrado with the way he played last year. I admit Marincin has not looked great, but I think he's got a better chance of being a regular 3rd pairing guy then Frankie.

Would any coach in the league want to play a 25 and under Dcore?? Every other coach in the league would want at least one of Polak or Hunwick out there.

Who kills penalties if neither of those guys are in the lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00