Recalled/Assigned: Leivo Recalled

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't get to watch the Marlies, but i have not seen it written anywhere, or anyone mention that Loov or Valiev are too good for the AHL.

Maybe they are playing as well as Kappy or Leipsic and are more than ready, but if they are not, it does not make sense to rush them, especially considering the avg age of our current group of NHLers.

I never said they were good enough/ready for the NHL or better than Corrado . My only point about Corrado is that it doesn't make much sense keeping him on the roster as insurance and not playing him the odd game here and there to keep him somewhat ready if we do run innto injuries .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
other poster's point was if the leafs need to bring up a player they will do it, the marlies do not come before the leafs. If the leafs need a d man and it leaves the Marlies with only 5 dmen they still bring up the d man. They are not going to let the NHL team and the fans who pay a fortune play short players or subpar players because the marlies

Thanks , at least someone gets the point i'm trying to make .

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
other poster's point was if the leafs need to bring up a player they will do it, the marlies do not come before the leafs. If the leafs need a d man and it leaves the Marlies with only 5 dmen they still bring up the d man. They are not going to let the NHL team and the fans who pay a fortune play short players or subpar players because the marlies

That's pretty obvious, and I obviously understand that, as I've been pointing out I would like to avoid playing Doherty, Jutzi, Maggio, etc, etc, etc. if at all possible. Corrado sitting in his comfy press box helps this happen. Leafs dmen injury = Valiev promoted = Doherty/Jutz/Martin/Etc inserted into Marlies lineup (didn't think I needed to spell this out).

I never said they were good enough/ready for the NHL or better than Corrado . My only point about Corrado is that it doesn't make much sense keeping him on the roster as insurance and not playing him the odd game here and there to keep him somewhat ready if we do run innto injuries .

My point is, sure it would be nice to get him a couple more games, but i don't see it as that big of an issue, seeing as every other team has players sitting in the pressbox as well for varying periods of time. I would rather hold onto him then hand him to another team.

Thereby, leaving Leafs/Marlies more vulnerable to playing guys above their level, and leading to worse results on the ice.

Neither the Leafs or Marlies are as deep as they were last year, and could be affected negatively if Corrado were to be waived and claimed.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That's pretty obvious, and I obviously understand that, as I've been pointing out I would like to avoid playing Doherty, Jutzi, Maggio, etc, etc, etc. if at all possible. Corrado sitting in his comfy press box helps this happen. Leafs dmen injury = Valiev promoted = Doherty/Jutz/Martin/Etc inserted into Marlies lineup (didn't think I needed to spell this out).

My point is, sure it would be nice to get him a couple more games, but i don't see it as that big of an issue, seeing as every other team has players sitting in the pressbox as well for varying periods of time. I would rather hold onto him then hand him to another team.

Thereby, leaving Leafs/Marlies more vulnerable to playing guys above their level, and leading to worse results on the ice.

Neither the Leafs or Marlies are as deep as they were last year, and could be affected negatively if Corrado were to be waived and claimed.

How many injuries at the same time are you expecting? We have Corrado and Marincin in the press box, Marincin goes in first then corrado/marlie if it gets to that point I can very easily see Babs saying "Corrado isn't up to speed (like Leivo) to play so we have to call someone up". Also the Mariles have 9 D men on their roster so they would need at least 4 injuries before they call up those ECHL guys you listed, and surely Dermott isn't out for the season

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
How many injuries at the same time are you expecting? We have Corrado and Marincin in the press box, Marincin goes in first then corrado/marlie if it gets to that point I can very easily see Babs saying "Corrado isn't up to speed (like Leivo) to play so we have to call someone up". Also the Mariles have 9 D men on their roster so they would need at least 4 injuries before they call up those ECHL guys you listed, and surely Dermott isn't out for the season

To answer your question 3. Which between two teams, happens quite regularly.

Babcock saying "Corrado isn't up to speed" wasn't a thing until 2 days ago!! Corrado isn't on IR, so obviously Corrado isn't going to be passed over by Loov if there was an injury.

I don't want several ECHL scrubs playing for Marlies at the same time, I highly doubt the front office does either. Wrenn is already in the lineup.

If you are such a big fan of Frankie, why do you want him to walk??

To be clear my definition of an ECHL dman, is someone who belongs in the ECHL, that includes 4 of the 9 you are mentioning. Just because Jitzu or Martin or whoever else are sitting in the Marlies roster doesn't make them AHLers. They are sitting in press box for the Marlies for about a dozen games, so will they be ready to play?? Or are they going to call up someone fresh from Orlando??

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I remember 1-2 years ago people were saying Leivo is the next Lupul. Given the injuries, I don't know if people realize how right they were.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I would rather an NHLer step in then an AHLer.

So every 13th F/7th D is not trusted by their coaches? Or is this just unique to TO?

Babcock doesn't seem to think they are NHL'ers

I don't think sitting a 23 year old in the press-box for long stretches ends well for anyone. Meanwhile Hunwick is a poster boy for fringe NHL'er and he can do no wrong

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Babcock doesn't seem to think they are NHL'ers

I don't think sitting a 23 year old in the press-box for long stretches ends well for anyone. Meanwhile Hunwick is a poster boy for fringe NHL'er and he can do no wrong

So it is unique to only Babcock, learn something new everyday!!

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Who cares anbout other teams? I'm sure their fans complain about it too if it happens
Babcock can do no wrong in some people's eyes

I knew going into the season there was no way Babcock would be going with the youngest option (Hunny/Polak on bench), and that doesn't make him unique either, doubt many coaches would go with a Dcore of 25 yo or less.

I wouldn't mind Frankie getting a couple more games, but I know it's pretty well him or Carrick as they are fighting to fill the same role, and Carrick won the job in camp (and with his play last year).

Would playing Frankie every 10 games really make that big of a difference?

I really don't think it benefits the Leafs in anyway to let him walk out the door at this point.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Pretty underwhelming in his ahl stint. Kapanen and leipsic were on a whole other level in comparison.. I guess its called a conditioning stint for a reason..

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
injuries will eventually happen and leivo, holland and corrado are the next guys to play, so u gotta keep them around

if they play and dont play well, any can be gone...especially our forwards because kapanen, gauthier, leipsic can all get a look soon

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
People get upset because guys like holland and corrado don't get playing time and they also are scared we may lose them for nothing

These guys won't be around when we are competing
So many younger players have passed them on the depth charts

Right now they are just bodies that we have to have on the roster

No big loss if we let either one go

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Prospects that are so low there's no trade value for them. Not too worried about them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babcock just doesn't like certain players (for whatever reason) even if they are NHL ready or not. Similar situation to Panik last year.

I doubt Levio ever plays for the Leafs at this point

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babcock just doesn't like certain players (for whatever reason) even if they are NHL ready or not. Similar situation to Panik last year.

I doubt Levio ever plays for the Leafs at this point

And if he doesn't, you gotta believe there's a disconnect with management and coach

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And if he doesn't, you gotta believe there's a disconnect with management and coach

why would you believe that?
that's like believing that silly rumour that Babcock wanted Hanifin and Hunter wanted Mitch, and then Babcock taking it out on Mitch by not playing him because there's a disconnect and not his guy.

i don't know why people are throwing this disconnect thing out there.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Corrado, Griffith, Leivo, Holland (although he has hid chances)......coach doesn't/didn't want to play them. Young guys with potential and no chance to succeed.
They weren't claimed/called up to sit in the press-box I'm sure
People say those guys have no future here (why I'm not sure), but does Hunwick, Polak, Smith, Marincin?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
People get upset because guys like holland and corrado don't get playing time and they also are scared we may lose them for nothing

These guys won't be around when we are competing
So many younger players have passed them on the depth charts

Right now they are just bodies that we have to have on the roster

No big loss if we let either one go

I have not seen one poster upset about Holland in the press box because he had more than his chance to show something (in saying that I prefer him to smith, but its the 4th line who cares) Corrado hasn't been given a chance to show anything that is the problem. We have 4 very very average d men fighting for the last 2 spots in the lineup (Polak, hunwick, Marincin & Corrado) none of these guys is miles better than the next so when a pair of players is getting the 2 spots because they are "older" that is when people have a problem.

Marincin seems in babs doghouse but at least he got a chance to live in the real house, corrado got here and it was "dog house is over there son"

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
why would you believe that?
that's like believing that silly rumour that Babcock wanted Hanifin and Hunter wanted Mitch, and then Babcock taking it out on Mitch by not playing him because there's a disconnect and not his guy.

i don't know why people are throwing this disconnect thing out there.

I don't look at it that way Daisy
I think management is on the same songsheet as far as the direction of the team goes and there goals
I think there's some disconnect between how management and the coaching staff see and evaluate players
Especially the fringe type players like Griffith Leivo and Corrado
Looks like they agree on the obvious ones

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Corrado, Griffith, Leivo, Holland (although he has hid chances)......coach doesn't/didn't want to play them. Young guys with potential and no chance to succeed.
They weren't claimed/called up to sit in the press-box I'm sure
People say those guys have no future here (why I'm not sure), but does Hunwick, Polak, Smith, Marincin?

There are levels of talent within every team. First line players are better than 3rd line players. 3rd line players are better than 4th line players. Those who get power play time are more talented than those who do not. Etc. Etc

Similarly, there is a talent difference between those who dress regularly and those who do not. Ideally, for those who do not dress regularly, they would get regular time in the AHL (another level or talent). However, not all players can pass seamlessly between the AHL and the NHL.

Guys like Corrado, Holland, and Leivo serve a purpose for teams. Lou clearly feels they add value to the Leafs. Babs clearly feels they are not good enough to dress regularly. This does not necessarily mean Babs and Lou have a disconnect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->