LeBrun: LeBrun and Jamie Noodles Maclennan (overdrive): Trades Comin'

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Don't take it so personally. Leafs are paying 5m each for their top 2 LHD. And their RHD has been the stronger side. It's not that we don't want to Ekholm (we do), it's that if we're giving up those kinds of assets, the bigger need would be a 3C or top 6 winger.

Right now I have my eyes on:

Wingers
  • Palmieri
  • Rakell
  • Forsberg (too expensive, likely)
Centres:
  • Staal
  • Danault

For defencemen, we getting really efficient performance out of a pretty underpaid group so unless we bring in a bonafide stud 1D in a huge trade, I see us standing pat.
Staal 50% retained would be a perfect trade

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Pretty confident that Brandon Sutter and Jordie Benn get dealt pretty soon.

Juolevi is ready and too good to be sitting. Sutter on last year should be a good depth add for a good team. He would help the Oilers 4th line.

my guess is this:

Sutter gets a 4th rounder
Benn gets a 5th rounder

Pearson is dealt, gets a 2nd rounder.

I think the trades will start to happen soon.
Don't forget, we need to have qualified players to expose for expansion.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Pretty confident that Brandon Sutter and Jordie Benn get dealt pretty soon.

Juolevi is ready and too good to be sitting. Sutter on last year should be a good depth add for a good team. He would help the Oilers 4th line.

my guess is this:

Sutter gets a 4th rounder
Benn gets a 5th rounder

Pearson is dealt, gets a 2nd rounder.

I think the trades will start to happen soon.
Here you have the very rare “realistic” fan. I applaud this man. I suspect this post of yours will look prescient in a few weeks.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Would love to see the Avs send a mid round pick to Buffalo or the Sens for Staal or Stepan.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Its bizarre. Liljegren has been excellent the last year or so. You dont trade away young, progressing RHD who are on ELC's. That may be the most valuable asset in the NHL.

This x100. It’s idiotic some of the shortsighted ness of the fan base. Not to mention we are so unbelievably screwed with the cap.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I understand that but if Marleau last year can move, all those guys can too. I’d expect all the top guys to return at most a 3rd. Sorensen is a fast, shoot first guy that can PK, Nieto is faster and an absolute fantastie PKer, Noesen is physical and also can PK, Kellman and Gambrell are both 4Cs that can move up in the lineup (especially Gambrell who has actually looked pretty good this season. I just like Gregor and Chmelevski more). Dubnyk has also looked good enough to be a solid back up. I’m not saying I’m expecting 1st round picks but all of these guys could have interest to the right teams.

None of those dudes really fit the need for Toronto. Maybe, and it even a stretch, but Donato at 50% would be a legit top-9. Nieto, Marleau, Sorenson, Noesen, those are all depth pieces. If you move them at the TDL it’s to provide options as people inevitably get injured down the stretch. Those are like guys you settle for, not someone you actively seek out a March trade on. They are all 4/5th liners on a contender.

The Sharks two years would not have utilized any of those players beyond a 5th line support role.

Sharks are low on forwards. Toronto has zero cap space. We aren’t moving a guy like Kane, Couture or even Hertl at 50% because of the multi year contracts. And even if we did, Toronto still has to make room for ~3 million in cap space.

In short, Sharks and Leafs are not good partners.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
None of those dudes really fit the need for Toronto. Maybe, and it even a stretch, but Donato at 50% would be a legit top-9. Nieto, Marleau, Sorenson, Noesen, those are all depth pieces. If you move them at the TDL it’s to provide options as people inevitably get injured down the stretch. Those are like guys you settle for, not someone you actively seek out a March trade on. They are all 4/5th liners on a contender.

The Sharks two years would not have utilized any of those players beyond a 5th line support role.

Sharks are low on forwards. Toronto has zero cap space. We aren’t moving a guy like Kane, Couture or even Hertl at 50% because of the multi year contracts. And even if we did, Toronto still has to make room for ~3 million in cap space.

This thread isn’t specifically about the Leafs

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

Those wouldn't be guys the leafs are interested in. They would want a depth top 9. 3C or a 2LW with sandpaper

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is the perfect season for the leafs to go all in imo.

The canada division playoffs should be relatively easy for the leafs... and they should be heading into the later rounds healthy.... adding a little more weapons up front(or physical depth in your middle 6) could be the move that puts them above.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Those wouldn't be guys the leafs are interested in. They would want a depth top 9. 3C or a 2LW with sandpaper

I know they aren’t interested in them. Like I said, Sharks and Leafs aren’t good trading partners.

Both Kane and Meier fill the role of 2LW w/ grit. But again, it’s 6-7 mil cap hit and I doubt the Sharks will retain.

I say again, Sharks and Leafs aren’t good trading partners. We don’t have what you want at a price/cap hit that makes sense for either team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If there is one team that shouldn't give a damn about the two week quarentine it's the Leafs, they are 1st overall, they could acquire a guy now, on deadline day or somewhere in between and it doesn't matter they have both the time to wait, and the depth to cover until the new player or players arrive, the two week quarentine should not be a factor

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is the perfect season for the leafs to go all in imo.

The canada division playoffs should be relatively easy for the leafs... and they should be heading into the later rounds healthy.... adding a little more weapons up front(or physical depth in your middle 6) could be the move that puts them above.

I think they have enough now to get through the Canadian division, I think you add a Granlund, Staal, Pearson Folingo, Rakell or a D man like Savard for what comes after because you are going to see Boston, Philadelphia, Tampa, Carolina those are the teams you beef up for.

It's cup or bust

Reactions: Getz2noone

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Their injuries aren’t serious enough to warrant a goalie trade, Campbell is back today and Freddy will be back soon. Hutch is perfectly fine as a number 3, making a move for a 3 is a waste of assets
Last year the Avs moved Calle Rosen for Hutch. #3 goalies don't always cost much in terms of "assets".

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if Mikyehev is available he's a really good player and I'd hate to lose him but if they want a top 6 winger he has value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad