LeBrun: LeBrun and Jamie Noodles Maclennan (overdrive): Trades Comin'

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’d say leafs trade chips are Lil and the 1st. Keep Sandin and Robertson.
I think Dermott will be kept to be exposed to Seattle

Many firsts may be up for grabs but their value could be at an all time low due to the uncertainty of this years draft. Both the timing and prospect exposure.
I think the most valuable assets this year are going to be just drafted 2019/2020 prospects that are currently playing somewhere.

I thought Lebrun also said Calgary would want players that can play now back.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pretty confident that Brandon Sutter and Jordie Benn get dealt pretty soon.

Juolevi is ready and too good to be sitting. Sutter on last year should be a good depth add for a good team. He would help the Oilers 4th line.

my guess is this:

Sutter gets a 4th rounder
Benn gets a 5th rounder

Pearson is dealt, gets a 2nd rounder.

I think the trades will start to happen soon.

I doubt trades happen so early. When teams are winning they don't want to mess with the formula. Oilers need another goalie not more forwards.

And with the players above... they make too much. Canucks will need to retain in any trade.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Doubt the Jets make any moves unless it's overpay. I think the Jets are perfectly structured as it stands. What we need is what we can't get and that's a franchise defenseman but Morrissey is good enough to handle the workload.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs need goalie depth, not wingers ffs.

No they don't lol.

Ekholm for liljegren and a second.

No. We don't need another D. This would be to upgrade our 3rd pair essentially. We have 10 NHL dmen right now.

if leafs need goalie depth detroit has bernier whose been rock solid for 2 seasons with a weak team in front of him . detroit could also trade the rejuvinated bobby ryan ,or glendenny to give leafs depth . all these guys could be at 50% retained . and detroit could take back short term bad cap hits

Leafs don't need goalies or depth. They need top 6 wingers. Ryan could be interesting but he isn't a guy they are going to give top prospects for. All picks on the table for deals that make sense.

Preds also have Saros available and have tons of cap space. Come and get him leafs! Not to mention the rest of the team is pretty much available!

We don't need goalies. Our third string has a .924sv%. We already ahd 4 goalies to start the year, and we lost him to waivers. We aren't waiving Campbell or Freddy, no goalies needed.

We need top 6 forwards, preferably LW. Also more nastiness. If they got a guy who filled all needs they'd pay big.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This is the leafs best year to go all in. Just simply based on the playoff structure. Everyone prospect and every pick should be on the table.

This type of thinking is why we haven’t won a cup in over 50 years. You make minor trades. I would like to see us trade Kerfoot or Engvall for Benett. If it comes down to it Dermott. Under no circumstances do you trade Amirov, Sandin or Liljegren unless it’s for a unicorn.

Our cap situation next year is beyond tight. We need both Sandin and Liljegren to come in and be regular contributors. If Amirov can also step in it makes our top nine respectable provided we resign Hyman.

Reactions: nofehr

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Leafs need goalie depth, not wingers ffs.
That depth goalie would have to be significantly better than hutch, but who’s also willing to ride pine because when fully healthy Andersen and Campbell are the two active goalies, and hutch has proven to be a good solider and competent enough for his role. I feel hutch has proven in Colorado last season, and here now that he’s a capable fill-in.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just because they suck, doesn't mean they can sell in a hard cap league. Sell what? Marleau again? Dubnyk? Term kills fun, and nobody is touching SJ's bad contracts. Plus they all have 3 team NTCs.
Wonderful. Thanks for your awful contribution. They have plenty of pieces to sell. Dubnyk, Sorensen, Noesen, Kellman, Nieto, Gambrell for anyone looking to upgrade their depth. Donato, Simek, Labanc for anyone that wants to upgrade their top 6/4. If someone wants a shakeup all of Couture, Timo, Hertl, Burns, EK, Vlasic. Sharks got plenty of pieces to sell. They won’t all move but there definitely will be some movement.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Leafs need more of a Rust, Bonino, Foligno or Jenner kind of guy.

Need top 9 with some grit who can play against the boards.

A strong LW would be ideal.

I know bringing back Connor Brown has been widely considered.

Besides a couple of hf posters no one has considered bringing back brown. That would be such a huge waste of cap space. Leafs need grit not another small pesky winger.

Reactions: Petrus

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
No they don't lol.

No. We don't need another D. This would be to upgrade our 3rd pair essentially. We have 10 NHL dmen right now.

Leafs don't need goalies or depth. They need top 6 wingers. Ryan could be interesting but he isn't a guy they are going to give top prospects for. All picks on the table for deals that make sense.

We don't need goalies. Our third string has a .924sv%. We already ahd 4 goalies to start the year, and we lost him to waivers. We aren't waiving Campbell or Freddy, no goalies needed.

We need top 6 forwards, preferably LW. Also more nastiness. If they got a guy who filled all needs they'd pay big.

Sorry but Ekholm is a top pair defenseman on leafs. Period.
You think leafs defense is so good that he plays third pair? Really?? Who’s better than Ekholm on leafs defense?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Wonderful. Thanks for your awful contribution. They have plenty of pieces to sell. Dubnyk, Sorensen, Noesen, Kellman, Nieto, Gambrell for anyone looking to upgrade their depth. Donato, Simek, Labanc for anyone that wants to upgrade their top 6/4. If someone wants a shakeup all of Couture, Timo, Hertl, Burns, EK, Vlasic. Sharks got plenty of pieces to sell. They won’t all move but there definitely will be some movement.

I get that as a Sharks fan, you're still relatively new to the team sucking thing, at least within the last 15+ years, but in the hard cap world, guys don't just move willy nilly anymore. Just because you're a UFA, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else wants you, even for a 6th rd pick. You also have to bring something to the table. Goodrow and Dillion did that last year. Some of the names you're listing this year, are, what?

Plenty is just a strong word to use.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You think leafs defense is so good that he plays third pair? Really?? Who’s better than Ekholm on leafs defense?

No.. I am saying that their defense is already doing well, and our weakness is at forward right now. An upgrade in our top 4 here is marginal for us, so the real benefit of this trade is bumping someone out of the top 4 and onto the bottom pairing, therefore upgrading the bottom pair. I don't think this really helps us at all considering we already have 10 NHL dmen and have played well defensively.

We already have a log jam, we have no need for more D.. Especially not more LD.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Don't take it so personally. Leafs are paying 5m each for their top 2 LHD. And their RHD has been the stronger side. It's not that we don't want to Ekholm (we do), it's that if we're giving up those kinds of assets, the bigger need would be a 3C or top 6 winger.

Right now I have my eyes on:

Wingers
  • Palmieri
  • Rakell
  • Forsberg (too expensive, likely)
Centres:
  • Staal
  • Danault

For defencemen, we getting really efficient performance out of a pretty underpaid group so unless we bring in a bonafide stud 1D in a huge trade, I see us standing pat.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Because neither have been healthy this year, neither have proven they can win, and Hutch is not good.
Their injuries aren’t serious enough to warrant a goalie trade, Campbell is back today and Freddy will be back soon. Hutch is perfectly fine as a number 3, making a move for a 3 is a waste of assets

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I get that as a Sharks fan, you're still relatively new to the team sucking thing, at least within the last 15+ years, but in the hard cap world, guys don't just move willy nilly anymore. Just because you're a UFA, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else wants you, even for a 6th rd pick. You also have to bring something to the table. Goodrow and Dillion did that last year. Some of the names you're listing this year, are, what?

Plenty is just a strong word to use.
I understand that but if Marleau last year can move, all those guys can too. I’d expect all the top guys to return at most a 3rd. Sorensen is a fast, shoot first guy that can PK, Nieto is faster and an absolute fantastie PKer, Noesen is physical and also can PK, Kellman and Gambrell are both 4Cs that can move up in the lineup (especially Gambrell who has actually looked pretty good this season. I just like Gregor and Chmelevski more). Dubnyk has also looked good enough to be a solid back up. I’m not saying I’m expecting 1st round picks but all of these guys could have interest to the right teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad