News Article: Lebreton

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Actually, it's the other way around, league can't supercede the laws of the land. They can set up all the bylaws they want but if they go against established law they won't hold up in court.
When will the grip of EM finally be gone...Even from the grave he holds the team back

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I suspect a stake will be sold, the real question is how much and will Olivia and Anna Melnyk retain 50+1%

If they sell I don’t think they’d retain voting interest; why would you pay $400 million to have a 19 year old dictate how the team is run?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have a feeling the biggest problem is going to be cleaning up that land, and the stability of the ground underneath it. That's going to be one hell of a lot of weight there, and iirc, there is some natural waterways at least under the ground (if not on the surface as well). Cleanup is going to be nasty. I'd guess $175 mil at least.

I do remember the original proposal had the NCC say that the cost of cleanup was either going to be covered by government, or the cost deducted from the cost of the land (ends up to the same thing either way really). I wonder if that part of things is still on the table.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When will the grip of EM finally be gone...Even from the grave he holds the team back

Sens fan are in LaLa land now projecting their optimism onto the daughters as if youth and gender will solve Ottawa deep issues.

It’ll take years of good decisions to turn this around, at this point the Sens have made no good decisions beyond putting a pride flag on their Twitter which is free.

When money starts to be an issue again things will turn ugly like it always does in Sens land when the bill comes due

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sens fan are in LaLa land now projecting their optimism onto the daughters as of youth and gender will solve Ottawa deep issues.

It’ll take years of good decisions to turn this around, at this point the Sens have made no good decisions beyond putting a ride flag on their Twitter which is free.

When money starts to be an issue again things will turn ugly like it always does in Sens land when the bill comes due
They have the same amount of money their father had....Until this team is sold to a real owner we are doomed to be a cap floor team

Reactions: Tuna99

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I suspect a stake will be sold, the real question is how much and will Olivia and Anna Melnyk retain 50+1%

And that's ok. Give the kids some money in their pocket and financial security while also keeping the legacy of owning the team. And spreads around the weight of expenses to more people, too.

This is going to be a massive project, and you know they never come in on time and on budget. Got to have some financial wiggle room to get through the sticky portions of this thing before getting the windfall at the end of the Lebreton build. Some big money partners will allow that to happen.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
20 year old?

Lots of successful 20 year olds in the business world. No reason to start saying they are too stupid to run the organization.

Who said they were to stupid besides you? I just said I wouldn’t invest $400 million to not have majority vote in the team - and most smart people wouldn’t. Why would you invest hundreds of million in the Sens if you can’t control the arena and team direction and you you get outvoted by a 19 and 23 year old?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mendes made a good point in his article today - weird to think we might not see Chabot, Brady or Batherson play in this new arena based on the timeline it takes to build it.

That’s crazy to think.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
I'd like to be first one to complain about the foul urine stench in the indoor/outdoor concourse connecting LRT and the arena. You just know it's going to smell.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

My hope is that this accelerates the process where new ownership groups step forward to buy at least a significant stake in the team. I have no issue with the Melnyks retaining a stake of any size but I believe we need changes in the hockey ops starting with an experienced senior hockey person with the responsibility and authority to make changes, improvements, and additions as required. Regardless of the location this is the most important fall out for me. The location makes this more likely to follow.

Last edited:

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
20 year old?

Lots of successful 20 year olds in the business world. No reason to start saying they are too stupid to run the organization.
They probably aren't stupid but they lack experience. Success in the business world is all about building experience when the stakes are low so you know what to do when the stakes are high. That's why nobody is hiring the 4.0 GPA MIT grad out of school to be CEO of an engineering firm. Theory and practice are very different.

Anyways the girls can do what they want of course, but as a fan I'd rather have a successful experienced business man or woman because I think it's more likely for them to build a successful organization out of the Sens if they've done it somewhere else before.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anthony Leblanc going to keep his streak alive of not being part of a new building for the Coyotes or a new building for his Halifax CFL team - he talks a lot about stadiums but never gets them built.

Not sure how big a player Leblanc will be for long.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Sens fan are in LaLa land now projecting their optimism onto the daughters as if youth and gender will solve Ottawa deep issues.

It’ll take years of good decisions to turn this around, at this point the Sens have made no good decisions beyond putting a pride flag on their Twitter which is free.

Senschirps base all wants the Melnyk family to keep control of the franchise

Unreal :thumbd:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

It’s just not realistic, if Melnyk struggled with financing, his young daughters won’t magically find capital within their estate to finance the day-to-day operations and fund the arena relocation. They will need wealthy partners if not outright sell the franchise to a new ownership entity.

I mean maybe they keep 51%, but status quo to maintain current control isn’t feasible anymore with the dynamic shift to build an arena in Lebreton.

Reactions: Deku and Emerica

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I don't understand the emotional ties to two people we know nothing about and have never heard speak a word. The only connection so far is their asshole dad. There's just no good news story there after their dad's tarnished legacy and not having a clue who they are beyond a name.

I'm an Ottawa Senators fan, not an Ottawa Melnyk's fan. We should all only want what gives the franchise the best chance at success, period. If that were to be them, so be it, cheer them on, but I don't see any reasonable argument for them giving the best chance of success when there's apparently numerous big money groups looking to get in.

If you have an emotional attachment to them retaining ownership as any sort of priority here then you don't necessarily want what's best for the franchise imo. That's not to say they couldn't do well, it looks to me like an irrational emotional attachment from lines drawn in the sand previously.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't understand the emotional ties to two people we know nothing about and have never heard speak a word. The only connection so far is their asshole dad. There's just no good news story there after their dad's tarnished legacy and not having a clue who they are beyond a name.

I'm an Ottawa Senators fan, not an Ottawa Melnyk's fan. We should all only want what gives the franchise the best chance at success, period. If that were to be them, so be it, cheer them on, but I don't see any reasonable argument for them giving the best chance of success when there's apparently numerous big money groups looking to get in.

If you have an emotional attachment to them retaining ownership as any sort of priority here then you don't necessarily want what's best for the franchise imo.

If your Instagram account looks like most other peoples Instagram account they will think you are good.

Team Hater wants to continue their negativity and online harassment via social media.

Disgusting. :thumbd:

There you go again labelling fans into the superior and bad types

• Wow
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If your Instagram account looks like most other peoples Instagram account they will think you are good.
I don't do instagram or most social media, so I couldn't say. If that's the only place to go to get a pulse on who they are, then I'll never know. I wouldn't even go as far as saying they couldn't pull off success in Ottawa and am certainly not a "hater" of the surviving Melnyk's, but I see no reasonable argument that the team wouldn't just be better off with a big money group getting involved and taking over the decision making. Irrational emotional attachment is what leads to this Melnyk cheerleading imo.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Sounds like they have the right people lined up except for someone who will pay for the arena. Hopefully the financing doesn’t turn into a public spectacle.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

There you go again labelling fans into the superior and bad types

Just responding to the previous post labelling those fans as bad. You think that is okay though, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad