News Article: Lebreton

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
IF you look at the average lifespan of a facility the like of the CTC, without another major refurbishment, the end of the lifespan ... and the planning and building of a new facility to replace the CTC at a new location, are pretty much aligned in terms of the timeline involved..... end of lifespan and cutting the ribbon on a new facility.

There are greener pastures south of the border.....just saying.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So... This seems very much like no actual news, at least until the NCC actually starts discussing who entered or those that entered let it be known. As an aside, you'd think Bruce would reach out to the team and ask for comment instead of quoting a comment from three months ago.
He is just doing as he is being told. I dont expect anything less.

Reactions: SquidNasty

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
IF you look at the average lifespan of a facility the like of the CTC, without another major refurbishment, the end of the lifespan ... and the planning and building of a new facility to replace the CTC at a new location, are pretty much aligned in terms of the timeline involved..... end of lifespan and cutting the ribbon on a new facility.

Are there? An American team is about to play next season in a 4500 seat college arena...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I feel like Melnyk would just come out and say if he didn't enter a bid.... but then again he doesn't care about the fanbase much so it might not matter to him.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Are there? An American team is about to play next season in a 4500 seat college arena...

That is a very extremely unusual situation the likes of which have never happened before AND is a temporary measure. However, the greater truth in that situation is that everyone knows Arizona is not a sustainable hockey market and there are a dozen other cities in the USA that would do better by that franchise; yet the NHL Commissioner refuses to give up on his pet project of making hockey work in the desert.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This is no substantial update but a reminder to his readers by Garrioch that Melnyk likely would be part of the "Building Lebreton" RFI process. Not sure when the details of interested parties would be part of the public domain, much like it was publicized last go round, but it would be interesting to see who Melnyk partners with. And provide clues into the future of the franchise including ownership interests with regards to Lebreton and/or potential changes into Sens ownership structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
While they await approval to build a 1.7B arena and entertainment district in a much more lucrative part of town.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I feel like Melnyk would just come out and say if he didn't enter a bid.... but then again he doesn't care about the fanbase much so it might not matter to him.
Pretty sure Melnyk currently has other things on his mind.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That is a very extremely unusual situation the likes of which have never happened before AND is a temporary measure. However, the greater truth in that situation is that everyone knows Arizona is not a sustainable hockey market and there are a dozen other cities in the USA that would do better by that franchise; yet the NHL Commissioner refuses to give up on his pet project of making hockey work in the desert.
I’m betting Arizona is a viable market if the Tempe deal goes through.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
While they await approval to build a 1.7B arena and entertainment district in a much more lucrative part of town.

I remember when we were waiting for shovels to go into the ground at Lebreton. There was even a scale model of the new rink displayed at CTC!

I'll believe it when I see it in Arizona.

But regardless, the NHL has shown that it will take extraordinary circumstances for a team to be relocated. So I wouldn't be worried about Ottawa just yet.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I remember when we were waiting for shovels to go into the ground at Lebreton. There was even a scale model of the new rink displayed at CTC!

I'll believe it when I see it in Arizona.

But regardless, the NHL has shown that it will take extraordinary circumstances for a team to be relocated. So I wouldn't be worried about Ottawa just yet.
If the Tempe deal doesn’t happen the Coyotes will definitely be moving.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This confirms there’s a bid it’s not a complicated process to say u have not entered a bid … it would be really f***ed up to tug fans a long when there is no need to do it

Attachments

• 33F71DB0-B5FC-4083-B568-CEE3F8860F83.png
    33F71DB0-B5FC-4083-B568-CEE3F8860F83.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 19

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
Certainly odd to leave the door open if they haven’t placed a bid (or whatever they’re calling it at this point in the process).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Certainly odd to leave the door open if they haven’t placed a bid (or whatever they’re calling it at this point in the process).

Could a contending ownership group have submitted a bid and ownership sale is contingent on their bid and the negotiating process with the city beginning? Would be weird but also very Ottawa way to do things seeing as this team surprises it’s fans every month

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Sens rink is in the middle of the pack for age of arenas.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Could a contending ownership group have submitted a bid and ownership sale is contingent on their bid and the negotiating process with the city beginning? Would be weird but also very Ottawa way to do things seeing as this team surprises it’s fans every month
No

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s an Expression of Interest not a bid.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He is just doing as he is being told. I dont expect anything less.

I'll disagree on that one

I'd think if he's doing what he is told, the Sens threw their hat in. I can't see them telling Bruce to dig up an old deadline if they sat on the sidelines

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Disappointing to see this song and dance continue for way to many years...building needs to be downtown, everyone knows it and it would be great for the city I think, get those gd shovels in the ground!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Disappointing to see this song and dance continue for way to many years...building needs to be downtown, everyone knows it and it would be great for the city I think, get those gd shovels in the ground!

Hard to spend $1billion when you have about 5000 fans at games and virtually no walkup.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00