News Article: Lebreton

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The sharks are circling right now and I'm sure are willing to pay a pretty penny to get in on that development opportunity. To imply the franchise value is at a low right now, right after winning a massive bid, is hilarious and an indictment to how you operate here.

What are you going to do when no Melnyk is associated with this franchise? Pine for the Eugene glory days? Please don't put us through that.
I think we’ll start hearing more rumours about partners after all the lawsuit stuff in the fall.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Melnyk Sisters are not selling anytime soon…. So don’t hold your breath.
It is almost a certainTy that they’ll see the building and move to a new arena through, and IF they want to sell, it would be then when the franchise value would be somewhat higher than it is today.

sorry.
Yes they are. The only question is all or just a majority stake.

Not sorry.

Reactions: topshelf15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The sharks are circling right now and I'm sure are willing to pay a pretty penny to get in on that development opportunity. To imply the franchise value is at a low right now, right after winning a massive bid, is hilarious and an indictment to how you operate here.

What are you going to do when no Melnyk is associated with this franchise? Pine for the Eugene glory days? Please don't put us through that.
I think he meant low meaning the day prior to the announcement...which is why he said it'll only increase in value from here

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Land cleanup, time tax for multi bureaucracies involved, general large project delays, Ottawa being Ottawa… 2030 is my estimate for opening and even that might be optimistic. Hope I’m off base and it really is more like 2027.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yes they are. The only question is all or just a majority stake.

Not sorry.
Agreed,they dont have the capital nor the experience that would lead the NHL bog to think and vote for them to be viable owners

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I did find that Tipping Point Sports provides these services:

M&A Advisory
• Due diligence
• Negotiate deal terms
• Purchase Agreement negotiation
• Develop Business Plan
• Operating projections
• Valuation
• Acquisition financing
• Limited partner equity
• League approval process
• Vendor negotiation
• Assistance in closing

So, could potentially indicate that they are actively seeking some equity partnerships or sale.
Yes, this bit is "interesting".

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed,they dont have the capital nor the experience that would lead the NHL bog to think and vote for them to be viable owners
The NHL governors can't vote them out and cause them to sell, it simply doesn't work that way

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The NHL governors can't vote them out and cause them to sell, it simply doesn't work that way
The NHL will ask for proof that they have the capital to run the team ,and yes they do and can vote on any new owner

Reactions: Loach

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This is the start of 2-5 years of ups and downs and continued heartbreak and frustration to get this building started

This won’t be smooth, this is the NCC and the Ottawa Senators together which is like putting a dog on ecstasy and a cat with emotional problems in a cage together and asking them to build you a new arena - this will be frustrating

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is the start of 2-5 years of ups and downs and continued heartbreak and frustration to get this building started

This won’t be smooth, this is the NCC and the Ottawa Senators together which is like putting a dog on ecstasy and a cat with emotional problems in a cage together and asking them to build you a new arena - this will be frustrating
Everyone knows this whole lebreton thing was nothing without the arena. The partners will make this move quickly and efficiently through the bureaucracy. EM set this up so that the best group would guide this along. This is not the same as the LRT fiasco. This is a tier one team that has one goal: build an arena.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The NHL will ask for proof that they have the capital to run the team ,and yes they do and can vote on any new owner
I'm not sure blocking the transfer of ownership as a result of an inheritance would survive a legal challenge, I mean, yes the league's bylaws allow them to require 2/3 vote on any transfer or assignment of over 5% stake in the team but just because they put it in their bylaws doesn't mean it's legal.

I'm pretty sure the league would have zero interest in testing this out as the downstream effect could be catastrophic if they lose.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Everyone knows this whole lebreton thing was nothing without the arena. The partners will make this move quickly and efficiently through the bureaucracy. EM set this up so that the best group would guide this along. This is not the same as the LRT fiasco. This is a tier one team that has one goal: build an arena.

Have you ever heard of Lansdown Park?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm not sure blocking the transfer of ownership as a result of an inheritance would survive a legal challenge, I mean, yes the league's bylaws allow them to require 2/3 vote on any transfer or assignment of over 5% stake in the team but just because they put it in their bylaws doesn't mean it's legal.

I'm pretty sure the league would have zero interest in testing this out as the downstream effect could be catastrophic if they lose.
Iam sure the daughters do have their legal rights...But the team is a franchise of the NHL and owners or potential owners would have to follow the rules of running said franchise

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Bettman is in the business of building NHL arenas and I’m sure he has the money and people lined up for Ottaws to get an arena up, but the daughters aren’t into arenas and without guarantees from each side (30 year lease) I doubt the arena builders would put a shovel in the ground - the team will be sold because you can’t get a billion to build an arena without a guarantee the team will play there - and the delays the NCC will cause will just make the whole thing very risky.

Team will be sold by the end of the summer, just to much money needing to flow to do this with magic paperwork and promises from New York and the NCC

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Maybe this is from the league itself,to get this project finally off the ground and facilitate a sale
Ya, I have no idea about whether there's league involvement.

I just found it interesting in that why would a Merger & Acquisition (M&A) firm be involved in something if there wasn't any M&A going to happen.

My "guess" (yep, its a guess) is that the Melnyk's are trying to retain a majority stake but the potential suitors will want majority ownership because that's what big money typically wants. It will take time for this play out no doubt and I'll just sit back and wait to see what happens.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Iam sure the daughters do have their legal rights...But the team is a franchise of the NHL and owners or potential owners would have to follow the rules of running said franchise
Actually, it's the other way around, league can't supercede the laws of the land. They can set up all the bylaws they want but if they go against established law they won't hold up in court.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Team will be sold by the end of the summer, just to much money needing to flow to do this with magic paperwork and promises from New York and the NCC
I suspect a stake will be sold, the real question is how much and will Olivia and Anna Melnyk retain 50+1%

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad