News Article: Lebreton

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

"When Vinik bought the franchise for a reported $170 million in the middle of a recession in 2010, the Lightning had 2,000 full season-ticket holders, less than a dozen suite holders and little corporate support. They played in an unfinished arena with few bells and whistles because they ran out of money when constructing the building in the mid-90s. There was almost nothing for fans to do in the barren surrounding area of downtown Tampa. They were about to miss the playoffs for a third consecutive season and were accruing annual losses well into eight figures."

Sound familiar?

Lebreton is amazing news and I am very happy about it. We need to pair it with new ownership that can afford to spend money to turn this team into something worth cheering for.
The team is already worth cheering for, this sounds like hints of endlessly moving the goalposts.

Now it’s a new arena and new ownership.

What will it be next one everything is shine and new I wonder….

Lack of parking, walk from The market is too far/too cold, LRT is too packed with drunks, the water is too cold….

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The team is already worth cheering for, this sounds like hints of endlessly moving the goalposts.

Now it’s a new arena and new ownership.

What will it be next one everything is shine and new I wonder….

Lack of parking, walk from The market is too far/too cold, LRT is too packed with drunks, the water is too cold….
Parking will be an issue for some Kanata/ Stiitsville west end of town , as O train isn’t scheduled until 2032 /33 , and that’s if it’s delivered on time, so likely later.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Parking will be an issue for some Kanata/ Stiitsville west end of town , as O train isn’t scheduled until 2032 /33 , and that’s if it’s delivered on time, so likely later.
Park and rides somewhere at the end of the line?

Shuttle service for some new restaurants and bars in the area. Do a few pick up runs… I see an entrepreneurial opportunity here….

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Park and rides somewhere at the end of the line?

Shuttle service for some new restaurants and bars in the area. Do a few pick up runs… I see an entrepreneurial opportunity here….
Ya I could see that happening

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Theres gonna be a bunch of private parking lots with in 10 mins walking distance.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wonder if Lebreton will have one of these?
7DC42EFC-D009-48BF-B677-60437B020306.jpeg

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
I've heard a lot of folks talking about the land clean up like it's a major hurdle, but isn't it only 6 acres or something they're building on? Doesn't seem like it's that big of an issue, considering it would need to be excavated for the building footprint already.

I can see how it was a massive cleanup when they wanted to develop all the land, but this is only a small part they'll be responsible for.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I've heard a lot of folks talking about the land clean up like it's a major hurdle, but isn't it only 6 acres or something they're building on? Doesn't seem like it's that big of an issue, considering it would need to be excavated for the building footprint already.

I can see how it was a massive cleanup when they wanted to develop all the land, but this is only a small part they'll be responsible for.
when it is a gov't job the complexities go up tenfold.. and the prices go even higher.

You are correct, that the soil will be removed and replaced with clean fill. The hard part is the disposal fees of contaminated soil.

We are potentially talking hundreds of thousands of truckloads.

The stupidity is that this should have been started a zillion years ago. Now it delays everything

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
when it is a gov't job the complexities go up tenfold.. and the prices go even higher.

You are correct, that the soil will be removed and replaced with clean fill. The hard part is the disposal fees of contaminated soil.

We are potentially talking hundreds of thousands of truckloads.

The stupidity is that this should have been started a zillion years ago. Now it delays everything

If the original Lebreton deal went through the Sens would be playing at Lebreton this year

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No. Wrong. Melnyk made this happen. Listen to the Leblanc interview.

The Leblanc who announced a new stadium in Glendale and a new CFL stadium for Halifax.

Leblanc knows how to make an announcement about a new stadium being built, he just has no idea how to actually get them built

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

Probably just takes a long time to test the soil in multiple places at multiple depths. Not to mention the leaching of soil contaminants that most likely extend past the six acres.

I know nothing about this stuff, just guessing. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad