News Article: Lebreton

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
So a few years away, but exciting news for the city and team!!

I wonder what happens with the CTC once the new arena is built?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is the bottom line that we'll have a higher payroll out of this? That's really all I care about to be honest
Yes not right now but for the foreseeable future. A downtown arena likely means more season ticket demand than there is supply at that point with a profitable TV deal there is no excuse to not be a team in the upper column of spending

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
So a few years away, but exciting news for the city and team!!

I wonder what happens with the CTC once the new arena is built?
it was originally designed to be easily convertible to a retail/office/recreation/etc. spaces with the lower bowl still being a decent-sized arena
of course there's a lot of big retail already in that area not sure if there is a lot of demand to convert the entire CTC to it, but who knows

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Doesn’t matter anyway, new ownership coming

The Melnyk Sisters are not selling anytime soon…. So don’t hold your breath.
It is almost a certainTy that they’ll see the building and move to a new arena through, and IF they want to sell, it would be then when the franchise value would be somewhat higher than it is today.

sorry.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The Melnyk Sisters are not selling anytime soon…. So don’t hold your breath.
It is almost a certainTy that they’ll see the building and move to a new arena through, and IF they want to sell, it would be then when the franchise value would be somewhat higher than it is today.

sorry.
You don't know any more than the rest of us.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You don't know any more than the rest of us.

put yourself in their place. Common sense dictates that you don’t “sell low” if there was ever any intention of selling….. but if there was, using simple logic would tell you that the franchise is only going to increase in value from today forward, until the new location is completed, and the the team moves there.

even then, with three to five years of ownership, they can do whatever they want.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I really hope they convert the CTC + the lots into a suburban neighbourhood with a couple of high rise condo buildings. Housing is scarce in this city and that is a prime spot right off the highway to tackle that issue.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
put yourself in their place. Common sense dictates that you don’t “sell low” if there was ever any intention of selling….. but if there was, using simple logic would tell you that the franchise is only going to increase in value from today forward, until the new location is completed, and the the team moves there.

even then, with three to five years of ownership, they can do whatever they want.
The sharks are circling right now and I'm sure are willing to pay a pretty penny to get in on that development opportunity. To imply the franchise value is at a low right now, right after winning a massive bid, is hilarious and an indictment to how you operate here.

What are you going to do when no Melnyk is associated with this franchise? Pine for the Eugene glory days? Please don't put us through that.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
You list a bunch or random crap, don’t know anyone involved, ignore how much of what you want is already happening, and pretty much double down on young women not being capable.

I can’t believe people are still begging for old rich men to come and save them in this day in age.

Old and male have nothing to do with it; as someone else said if Oprah wanted to buy the team, or Taylor Swift since I guess Oprah is old, or whatever -- and then hire professional management and keep it in Ottawa I'd be all for it.

Rich is a requirement for owning a professional sports team whether you like it or not.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
I really hope they convert the CTC + the lots into a suburban neighbourhood with a couple of high rise condo buildings. Housing is scarce in this city and that is a prime spot right off the highway to tackle that issue.

The CTC itself should become an amazon warehouse, and the surrounding suburbs can can be sold as premium lots with 1hour prime+ drone deliveries.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I put myself on their place and the first question I asked myself is “do I have $1 Billion doallrs to build an arena with a government body that hated my Dad and is notorious for delays and red tape and going over budget.” And I answered no to all those questions and then I remembered my Dad say “you have to own the arena to play there im not playing in someone else’s arena” so I decided to sell the team.

Easy decision

Old and male have nothing to do with it; as someone else said if Oprah wanted to buy the team, or Taylor Swift since I guess Oprah is old, or whatever -- and then hire professional management and keep it in Ottawa I'd be all for it.

Rich is a requirement for owning a professional sports team whether you like it or not.

I have Bruce McCall on line one

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
It's going to be a completely different atmosphere. No more sleepy Kanata families and junior high dance party vibes. This place is for adults to get wasted and scream.
Much like my backyard on a weekend evening. In Stittsville. We're not ALL sleepy 45 year olds. :)

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
So what is this development opportunity? We talking just enough land to build an arena? Or does it also include involvement in the surrounding lands for mixed use real estate? I'm kinda confused about what was awarded today but still excited.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah if they have space to build a hotel and some commercial space around it that would be killer for the bottom line.

Get some sports betting action in there too.

The walk ups though will be a nice attendance bump, 300’s getting snapped up last minute by tipsy folks at dinner lol

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Perfect, then given that you nor I nor anyone has any idea what these particular young women’s finances look like, we can happily wait and see since we’re all open minded folk :)

Like Opra and Swift, it seems like these young owners have also hired professional management to run the business, and we’re already seeing bumps in renewals, new seasons, increased local business engagement, positive social media engagement, inclusion embracement, and now an exciting land deal with heavy hitting partners.

As far as owners go, they seem to be doing a pretty solid job so far don’t you think?

Lots more to do this off season, but this is so obviously not Eugene’s Ottawa Senators.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So what is this development opportunity? We talking just enough land to build an arena? Or does it also include involvement in the surrounding lands for mixed use real estate? I'm kinda confused about what was awarded today but still excited.

I think that's part of the plan. Seems logical (and sounds a lot like the Arizona development, on a slightly smaller scale). Create an entertainment and convention hub for the city...that will bring in big money all year. I think the big challenge will be to make the area walkable in winter. Take wind direction and shelters into account and you can make it a great attraction in any weather.

And like Day Man says above, the CTC land and parking area would be amazing an amazing spot for more condos. Right at the highway is a nice bonus for many folks. Add in a decent little section for a a few stores (grocery store, restaurant/fast food, a bank, beer/cannabis, and another 1-2 stores...basically a power center), and you have a winner there, too.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We were within 1 mil of the cap the two following years, not sure if we had some back loaded deals vs front loaded but I don't agree with you at all that Heatley to SJ was a salary thing. He's the one that wanted out (not saying he wasn't justified, only those involved would know for sure).

Cheechoo (3.5, 3.5) and Michalek (3.5, 4.25) vs Heatley (8, 8 ) was pretty close to cash neutral for the years Cheechoo and Michalek were under contract for,
it was the length of those contracts which mattered in the first year they may have cancelled one another out but heatlly made more over the duration. this was how melnyk worked. he had to give heatley that contract for optics but letting a bad rookie head coach to do that to one o your star players was part of the plan all along.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Deapite Leblanc’s past failures trying to build arenas, I think the city and NCC know that there’s too much at stake here to fumble the ball again.

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
Deapite Leblanc’s past failures trying to build arenas, I think the city and NCC know that there’s too much at stake here to fumble the ball again.
It was really only the one with Arizona, no? We all know that that was long a tall task even for the best (and still is despite progress).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad