News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Time to turn to our old friends the Saudis, we already hav an evil owner, why not build the arena with the most evil foreign investors?

We know it is not a Russian.

Melnyk is very desparate, he is on an island where the water around him is #Ottawarising and he cheaped out on a life boat. Question is, how long can Boro swim with Melnyk on his back?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna99 and harrisb

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
:sarcasm:Im guessing most owners try to change a law so they can sell off citizenships in exchange for financial investment into their private firm in order to build a private business on federal land, likely very common for financially viable owners and businessmen and woman I like

Reactions: Deku

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Edmontons was done as part of a redevelopment in the city core and it was a very messy situation with tax payers. Plus the Rexdall centre was the oldest rink in the league besides the islanders barn and it was falling apart. A lot of tax payers didnt want to foot the bill.
Calgary has shot down any attempts by the flames to get the city to pay for a new one.

Edmonton is the only Canadian team to get public funding. Ottawa will not give them public funding and Melnyk knows this, so why bother asking?

It really feels to me like you have a group of people ready to move but Melnyk is the guy searching the couch cushions trying to find money to join.

Calgary received public funding for their arena also.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So half the league is a YES and half the league is a NO, not sure what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that Melnyk needs the help?? We all know that he doesn't have the money.

Some people here are under the impression that it's EM fault that there is not a shovel in the ground yet ............ it's not, it's the whole NCC process, and they announced back in January that it would be 2019, at the earliest, that there procurement process would permit a "shovel in the ground".

I'm sure if it was private land, the arena would be almost half finished .......... we're talking about the NCC.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well that's weird.

On the one hand - If ever there was a provincial premier who would acquiesce to this kind of proposal, Doug Ford is the guy. That's your best chance ever to get something like this passed.

On the other hand - it does not speak well to Melnyk's current financial position.

Not his jurisdiction

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Some people here are under the impression that it's EM fault that there is not a shovel in the ground yet ............ it's not, it's the whole NCC process, and they announced back in January that it would be 2019, at the earliest, that there procurement process would permit a "shovel in the ground".

I'm sure if it was private land, the arena would be almost half finished .......... we're talking about the NCC.

Bullshit. Amongst others, Melnyk's financial situation is a major obstacle. The re-financing was just an initial step. Rumoured backers that Melnyk had behind his part of the RLG bid are backing out (some he already owes). Even if NCC says shovel to the ground tomorrow, Melnyk himself has stalled deadlines and meetings with key people (that includes the City mayor). Because he needs time for people to lend him more money. Against a franchise that is already very debt ridden, and where he refuses to (perhaps rightly so) "lose hard earned money from his other investments" (paraphrasing) when it comes to investing on this team.

What other choices does he have? How far fetched (desperate) does this lobbying sound? If he needs foreign investors, assuming he already found them, what if he fails to change the required immigration policies and rules?

This reeks of desperation. The financial noose tightens. The plot thickens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acidrain66

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Then why was Eugene emailing people about getting shovels in the ground at Lebreton months, if not weeks, after winning the bid?

There are companies in town who have had plans in place to be ready to start working at Lebreton for over a year now.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Then why was Eugene emailing people about getting shovels in the ground at Lebreton months, if not weeks, after winning the bid?

There are companies in town who have had plans in place to be ready to start working at Lebreton for over a year now.

Bull****. Amongst others, Melnyk's financial situation is a major obstacle. The re-financing was just an initial step. Rumoured backers that Melnyk had behind his part of the RLG bid are backing out (some he already owes). Even if NCC says shovel to the ground tomorrow, Melnyk himself has stalled deadlines and meetings with key people (that includes the City mayor). Because he needs time for people to lend him more money. Against a franchise that is already very debt ridden, and where he refuses to (perhaps rightly so) "lose hard earned money from his other investments" (paraphrasing) when it comes to investing on this team.

What other choices does he have? How far fetched (desperate) does this lobbying sound? If he needs foreign investors, assuming he already found them, what if he fails to change the required immigration policies and rules?

This reeks of desperation. The financial noose tightens. The plot thickens.

You can believe all your unsubstantiated rumours .......... and blame the lack of a shovel in the ground on EM all you want.

The NCC clearly stated, in their Lebreton Flats timeline, that the initiation of construction would begin in either 2019 or 2020.

Clearly it's EM who is dancing to the Tune the NCC is playing

I'll take their word, over whatever BS rumours you're peddling.

January 25, 2018

Throughout the coming year, the NCC and RendezVous LeBreton Group will develop detailed terms for the master development agreement, which will be presented to the NCC Board and, when approved, submitted to the federal government.
In the meantime, the NCC will continue to present status updates to the NCC Board. Citizens will also have further opportunities to engage in the process.

Negotiation of master development agreement2018–2019
Algonquin ConsultationsOngoing since 2016
Federal approvals2018–2019
City of Ottawa municipal approval process:
NCC–City of Ottawa integrated development approval process
Official plan amendments
Zoning amendments
Plan of subdivision and related agreements
2018–2019
Land conveyance (Phase 1) / Initiation of construction 2019–2020
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Wait, Doug Ford isn't the premier of Ontario?

What happened today? Was today a good day? Should I be celebrating?

Immigration is regulated by the Federal Government.

Doug Ford is the premier of Ontario, not PM of Canada

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Woah, thanks for this incredibly niche piece of information that the general public could never have possibly known about! I'm glad I get these valuable civics leasons here on the intetnet on a hockey forum! I don't know where else I would have learned about this super secret government role! Did anyone else know about this? You just blew my mind! Doug Ford isn't the Prime Minister of Canada? Oh man! Shocking!

... Or maybe you should read the article instead of posting smart-ass, grade-school-level educational material?

It's a proposed Provincial program for Ontario.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Just incredible. Trying to sell citizenship for money. Just when you think he can't get anymore of a sleezebag.

What's next, he will try his hand at human trafficking with the cartel?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

giphy.gif

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just incredible. Trying to sell citizenship for money. Just when you think he can't get anymore of a sleezebag.

What's next, he will try his hand at human trafficking with the cartel?
this happens everywhere ( I admit everywhere may be an exaggeration) ... Want in.. bring money.. In Canada for sure, In Mexico for sure, In Costa Rica for sure, The USA for sure) ... Different rules about creating employment opportunities etc apply

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
this happens everywhere ( I admit everywhere may be an exaggeration) ... Want in.. bring money.. In Canada for sure, In Mexico for sure, In Costa Rica for sure, The USA for sure) ... Different rules about creating employment opportunities etc apply

oh I know, just with him. Of all the businesses he could have started up to help fund this, it had to be this.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
oh I know, just with him. Of all the businesses he could have started up to help fund this, it had to be this.
He should have transferred his pharma $ into grow op $ and he'd be done. I don't know really anything about financing this project or where he is at with it... He could be just buying time and looking at options ... no idea where his head is at on it.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
You can believe all your unsubstantiated rumours .......... and blame the lack of a shovel in the ground on EM all you want.

The NCC clearly stated, in their Lebreton Flats timeline, that the initiation of construction would begin in either 2019 or 2020.

Clearly it's EM who is dancing to the Tune the NCC is playing

I'll take their word, over whatever BS rumours you're peddling.

January 25, 2018

Throughout the coming year, the NCC and RendezVous LeBreton Group will develop detailed terms for the master development agreement, which will be presented to the NCC Board and, when approved, submitted to the federal government.
In the meantime, the NCC will continue to present status updates to the NCC Board. Citizens will also have further opportunities to engage in the process.

Negotiation of master development agreement2018–2019
Algonquin ConsultationsOngoing since 2016
Federal approvals2018–2019
City of Ottawa municipal approval process:
NCC–City of Ottawa integrated development approval process
Official plan amendments
Zoning amendments
Plan of subdivision and related agreements
2018–2019
Land conveyance (Phase 1) / Initiation of construction 2019–2020
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Did you notice that that plan is a revised plan from this year? Here's the original timeline where all the approvals and processes could have been completed in 2017 - LeBreton Flats Redevelopment - Timeline | National Capital Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad