News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Amazing how the local family as a partner is now potential foreign investors. Pretzel twisting at its finest.

Next month it'll be little men from Mars.

Reminds me of the last days of Rod Bryden's ownership. Bryden was also an owner with no money of his own and not financially qualified to be an NHL owner. Tick Tick Tick ….Boom!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
S
Reminds me of the last days of Rod Bryden's ownership. Bryden was also an owner with no money of his own and not financially qualified to be an NHL owner. Tick Tick Tick ….Boom!
Things can certainly change. Look at Jim Balsillie. The guy was worth almost 4 billion at one point 7 or 8 years ago, and now he's down to a few hundred million. Sounds like everything outside of the Senators has been rough on Melnyk's situation. We just have to hope it gets worse for him to the point of no recovery.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
S

Things can certainly change. Look at Jim Balsillie. The guy was worth almost 4 billion at one point 7 or 8 years ago, and now he's down to a few hundred million. Sounds like everything outside of the Senators has been rough on Melnyk's situation. We just have to hope it gets worse for him to the point of no recovery.

800 million is a few million?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Did you notice that that plan is a revised plan from this year? Here's the original timeline where all the approvals and processes could have been completed in 2017 - LeBreton Flats Redevelopment - Timeline | National Capital Commission

Are you seriously suggesting that EM was responsible for all the "approvals and processes", and not the NCC?

His RLG was a bidder, not the entity in charge of the bidding process, and responsible for approvals ...... that's the NCC ..... and they took their own sweet time doing what they do best.

Did you notice (in this timeline) the announcement of successful proponent was scheduled to happen sometime within a 24 month window of"2017 -2018" ........ and the announcement was made this past January ...... pretty much in the middle of the 24 month scheduled timeline?

There is no date on your timelime, that show anything about when construction would commence..the time line show that the City of Ottawa municipal approval process would happen between 2017 and 2019 .............no mention of construction being started ........ so I guess, after 2019?

I know you're desperately trying to spin things into EM stalled the entire process, and the Arena should already be built by now.......... but that's a Fail my freind.

The Bidding process, was all controlled by the NCC, and any changes to their timelines are on them, not the bidders.

I don't know about you, but I tend to go with the mose recent updated timelines, as they are subject to change.

And right now, according to the most recent NCC timeline Land conveyance (Phase 1) / Initiation of construction is scheduled to commence in 2019-2020 ........After City of Ottawa municipal approval process that was (in your timeline) scheduled between 2017-2019 and more recently is scheduled to be completed in 2018-2019......... the same (end) as the timeline you supplied .........

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
You're correct.

All the NCC had to do was google Melnyk's name to reveal his past history of financial fraud and his dire financial situation. Awarding the arena contract to Melnyk was the biggest mistake they ever made, and the NCC has made quite a few over the years. That's why currently Lebreton Flats remains the biggest eye-sore for the City of Ottawa. It remains the largest snow dump area in Canada and will remain that way as long as Melnyk owns the Senators.

Reactions: starling

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That's why currently Lebreton Flats remains the biggest eye-sore for the City of Ottawa. It remains the largest snow dump area in Canada and will remain that way as long as Melnyk owns the Senators.

I have to imagine that there will be a point where, assuming Melnyk is the loose end that is holding up development, the rest of the partners in the RendezVous bid find someone to replace him, or the NCC moves on to another group (possibly the one who lost the bid to RVL).

Reactions: Henderson1972

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Awarding the arena contract to Melnyk was the biggest mistake they ever made, and the NCC has made quite a few over the years.

WTF are you talking about?

The NCC did not award an Arena contract to the RLG?

The NCC agreed to sell land at Lebreton Flats, to a Group that included a NHL owner, who wants to build a new arena and a condo development.

Why do you think the NCC wanted an Arena built on Lebreton flats? Do they own a NHL franchise???

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Are you seriously suggesting that EM was responsible for all the "approvals and processes", and not the NCC?

His RLG was a bidder, not the entity in charge of the bidding process, and responsible for approvals ...... that's the NCC ..... and they took their own sweet time doing what they do best.

Did you notice (in this timeline) the announcement of successful proponent was scheduled to happen sometime within a 24 month window of"2017 -2018" ........ and the announcement was made this past January ...... pretty much in the middle of the 24 month scheduled timeline?

There is no date on your timelime, that show anything about when construction would commence..the time line show that the City of Ottawa municipal approval process would happen between 2017 and 2019 .............no mention of construction being started ........ so I guess, after 2019?

I know you're desperately trying to spin things into EM stalled the entire process, and the Arena should already be built by now.......... but that's a Fail my freind.

The Bidding process, was all controlled by the NCC, and any changes to their timelines are on them, not the bidders.

I don't know about you, but I tend to go with the mose recent updated timelines, as they are subject to change.

And right now, according to the most recent NCC timeline Land conveyance (Phase 1) / Initiation of construction is scheduled to commence in 2019-2020 ........After City of Ottawa municipal approval process that was (in your timeline) scheduled between 2017-2019 and more recently is scheduled to be completed in 2018-2019......... the same (end) as the timeline you supplied .........

I don't know if you're just being dishonest or if you just have serious issues understanding the written word, but you might want to check out this line in the link I provided:

2016-2017 Negotiations

Now it is 2018, in case you were unsure what year it presently is, and here's what's on the NCC website:

Negotiations are expected to continue for at least another year.

LeBreton Flats Redevelopment | National Capital Commission

That falls on Eugene. Or is he not responsible for the negotiations?

There was been no announcement of a successful proponent. Just a preliminary agreement. That's why negotiations are on going and the approval process hasn't been started yet.

Of course the NCC is going to have to adjust the timeline after Melnyk has delayed it.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't know if you're just being dishonest or if you just have serious issues understanding the written word, but you might want to check out this line in the link I provided:

2016-2017 Negotiations

Now it is 2018, in case you were unsure what year it presently is, and here's what's on the NCC website:

Negotiations are expected to continue for at least another year.

LeBreton Flats Redevelopment | National Capital Commission

That falls on Eugene. Or is he not responsible for the negotiations?

There was been no announcement of a successful proponent. Just a preliminary agreement. That's why negotiations are on going and the approval process hasn't been started yet.

Of course the NCC is going to have to adjust the timeline after Melnyk has delayed it.

OMG, you actually don't understand that you think the NCC was working off their preliminary timeline (that you linked) and you assume it wasnever once updated, since April of 2016.

You seem to think that the NCC is some kind a smooth running machine that always gets things done on time or before.

Don't know if you live in Ottawa, but for as long as I have, I've been hearing about the NCC taking their own sweet time on anything and everything they're involved in.

NCC Watch: Blunders: LeBreton Flats

NCC Watch: Blunders: Ottawa Union Station

NCC Watch: Blunders: Daly Building

NCC Watch: Blunders: Sparks Street

NCC Watch: Blunders: Millenium Celebrations

NCC Watch: Blunders: Champlain Bridge

NCC Watch: Blunders: Hull

Please explain how Negotiations, between RLG & the NCC can begin in 2016-17, IF the agreement in principle wasn't approved by the NCC Board of Directors during an in-camera meeting until January 24, 2018.

In case you don't know, but Jan 24th, 2018 was AFTER the date you provided in the NCC preliminary timeline issued in April of 2016, that you hold them to.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
OMG, you actually don't understand that you think the NCC was working off their preliminary timeline (that you linked) and you assume it wasnever once updated, since April of 2016.

You seem to think that the NCC is some kind a smooth running machine that always gets things done on time or before.

Don't know if you live in Ottawa, but for as long as I have, I've been hearing about the NCC taking their own sweet time on anything and everything they're involved in.

Please explain how Negotiations, between RLG & the NCC can begin in 2016-17, IF the agreement in principle wasn't approved by the NCC Board of Directors during an in-camera meeting until January 24, 2018.

In case you don't know, but Jan 24th, 2018 was AFTER the date you provided in the NCC preliminary timeline issued in April of 2016, that you hold them to.

I have a much better awareness of the NCC than you do and I do not hold it in a positive light.

Negotiations were scheduled as soon as Rendezvous Lebreton won the competition. How do you come to an agreement in principle if you don't negotiate? Negotiations are taking place for a finalized agreement and they've gone well past the NCC's original timeline.

This is simple stuff that a 12 year old of average intelligence could easily understand. Why is it so difficult for you?

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Comparing Bryden to Melnyk is... so wrong!

Bryden was a lot more respected than Melnyk currently is with the Ottawa fan base, i.e. Bryden was not a public relations nightmare. However, my point is Bryden's money problems of fifteen plus years ago appear to be very similar to Melnyk's current financial situation today - neither one was or is financially secure enough to own an NHL team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I have a much better awareness of the NCC than you do and I do not hold it in a positive light.

Negotiations were scheduled as soon as Rendezvous Lebreton won the competition. How do you come to an agreement in principle if you don't negotiate? Negotiations are taking place for a finalized agreement and they've gone well past the NCC's original timeline.

This is simple stuff that a 12 year old of average intelligence could easily understand. Why is it so difficult for you?

Look, there's a reason, the original (April 2016) timeline, did NOT have any reference to an " initiation of construction" ....... because it was the preliminary timeline, they had not awarded the rights, and did not know how long the whole process would take and knew it would need to be updated....... and the most recent one, from January of this year stated that "initiation of construction would begin" in either 2019 or 2020.

I know you want to blame EM for the NCC taking their time in the "procurement process", and then the discussions that lead to an "agreement in Principle" and then the "preliminary agreement" which was approved by the NCC Board during an in-camera meeting on January 24, 2018 was the NCC doing what they do ........ taking their time accessing the bids, and subsequent negotiations.

Read it for yourself, the most recent NCC time line is here A milestone announcement for the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats in… | National Capital Commission

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Bryden was a lot more respected than Melnyk currently is with the Ottawa fan base, i.e. Bryden was not a public relations nightmare. However, my point is Bryden's money problems of fifteen plus years ago appear to be very similar to Melnyk's current financial situation today - neither one was or is financially secure enough to own an NHL team.
On that point, I'm not disagreeing. Although, the reasons for it largely differ.

Bryden is one of the most respected businessman in the country. He has credibility, class, professionalism and is totally unasumming. He will treat everyone the same... with class.

The reasons for Bryden not succeeding in the end are far from similar to Melnyk's problems. He wanted to succeed... and not because he was so hung up on owning an NHL franchise. I will always have great respect for Rod Bryden.

Last edited:

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
On that point, I'm not disagreeing. Although, the reasons for it largely differ.

Bryden is one of the most respected businessman in the country. He has credibility, class, professionalism and is totally unasumming. He will treat everyone the same... with class.

The reasons for Bryden not succeeding in the end are far from similar to Melnyk's problems. He wanted to succeed... and not because he was so hung up on owning an NHL franchise. I will always have great respect for Rod Bryden.
Yep, and that trickled through the organization.

And for the love of god he kept his nose out of hockey operations.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Is the meeting in November considered a deadline? Or have there been other deadlines that have been made public at this point?

From the Citizen on Sept 18th.

“The meeting in November will be an important one for the RendezVous LeBreton project as we work through this month with the promoters to answer all the questions necessary for the board to make some key decisions for the winter and spring of 2019,” Kristmanson said.

“So far, all of our teams are meeting all of the milestone objectives,” Kristmanson told reporters after Tuesday’s meeting of the NCC board of directors. “They have a very strong vision and everybody is trying to support it.”

Among the pressing issues the commission faces are negotiations with the Algonquin First Nation upon whose traditional territory the development will be built as well as work required to decontaminate the once heavily industrialized area.

The NCC chose the RendezVous LeBreton team in April 2016 and continues to work on finalizing a master development agreement.

“All of these things are complex in and among themselves to keep the development on track, so November is an important milestone for many of these decisions,” Kristmanson said.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I will disagree about his reputation.

He was forced to shed debt and lost big time, along with many investors, on SHL, and PaperBoard Industries. He moved on to the Sens, gathered more investors, as he always a great talker, and lost another $400M, along with many investors. He went bankrupt with 100M in debt, and paid 600k to settle with creditors. WorldHeart? Lost again, along with many investors. Plasco? Again, flush with hundreds of millions of private equity cash from investors in Canada and Europe, lost again, along with many investors. 300 Million. Gone. Bought it back for a loonie , though. Screwed investors.

If anyone knows the ins and outs of bankruptcy laws, it is Roderick Bryden. He has no credibility. He might be classy, just don't say that around the hundreds of people he let down. Professional? Absolutely, he knows how to find money. But his track record is horrific and I suppose many are too focused on Melnyk to suddenly put on some rose colored glasses when looking back.

But the facts speak for themselves, it is all out there to read and research in the public domain... just as attendance at the Corel Centre when you said it was full.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

HAHAHHA....respected. This guy is one of the greasiest sales guy in the city. In fact, his reputation is so bad and tarnished that he will never be able to swindle anyone for another penny. He is known in circles as the snake oil salesman. The only thing he was professional at was swindling people for hundreds of millions. Why don't you ask the city of Ottawa officials what they think of him when he sheistered them with Plasco?? Your hatred for EM is so obvious when you spew out unfounded comments about his reputation. Its also very obvious that you have no business acumen when talking about the most dishonest human in the city of ottawa and uhhhh country.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I will disagree about his reputation.

He was forced to shed debt and lost big time, along with many investors, on SHL, and PaperBoard Industries. He moved on to the Sens, gathered more investors, as he always a great talker, and lost another $400M, along with many investors. He went bankrupt with 100M in debt, and paid 600k to settle with creditors. WorldHeart? Lost again, along with many investors. Plasco? Again, flush with hundreds of millions of private equity cash from investors in Canada and Europe, lost again, along with many investors. 300 Million. Gone. Bought it back for a loonie , though. Screwed investors.

If anyone knows the ins and outs of bankruptcy laws, it is Roderick Bryden. He has no credibility. He might be classy, just don't say that around the hundreds of people he let down. Professional? Absolutely, he knows how to find money. But his track record is horrific and I suppose many are too focused on Melnyk to suddenly put on some rose colored glasses when looking back.

But the facts speak for themselves, it is all out there to read and research in the public domain... just as attendance at the Corel Centre when you said it was full.
Ok then.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
HAHAHHA....respected. This guy is one of the greasiest sales guy in the city. In fact, his reputation is so bad and tarnished that he will never be able to swindle anyone for another penny. He is known in circles as the snake oil salesman. The only thing he was professional at was swindling people for hundreds of millions. Why don't you ask the city of Ottawa officials what they think of him when he sheistered them with Plasco?? Your hatred for EM is so obvious when you spew out unfounded comments about his reputation. Its also very obvious that you have no business acumen when talking about the most dishonest human in the city of ottawa and uhhhh country.
Yeah... ok.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Bryden bought the team to keep it from moving. Melnyk bought it because of his ego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad