News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bryden bought the team to keep it from moving. Melnyk bought it because of his ego

Ultimately, if he was smart he should have sold it instead of losing everyone's investments, including 100M of his own money. But I digress, they are all in some level a form of crook. Whether Bryden or Melnyk, these characters will have buckets full of skeletons in their closets.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ultimately, if he was smart he should have sold it instead of losing everyone's investments, including 100M of his own money. But I digress, they are all in some level a form of crook. Whether Bryden or Melnyk, these characters will have buckets full of skeletons in their closets.

No doubt about that. But when bryden bought the team there were no other local options available.

Who knows what his motivations really were, but he saved the team.

I guess it could be argued that melnyk did too though.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
No doubt about that. But when bryden bought the team there were no other local options available.

EM saved our buts in 2003, then he said that he bought it for his family/kids . Back then everyone in the city regarded him as the knight in shining armor. Now he is the villain because he put all the fans in their place. I recall Bryden did the exact same thing. But some people here think he was the best representation of humanity. He tanked many many people with his broken promises.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
EM saved our buts in 2003, then he said that he bought it for his family/kids . Back then everyone in the city regarded him as the knight in shining armor. Now he is the villain because he put all the fans in their place. I recall Bryden did the exact same thing. But some people here think he was the best representation of humanity. He tanked many many people with his broken promises.

It's amazing the fan support the SENS have had over the years considering they've had two of the most unqualified sports owners of any city in North America.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Things weren't too bright when Melnyk bought the team. He's a gigantic asshole who likes hockey and the idea of of owning a sports team. I'd imagine a lot of owners are like him... they just have much deeper pockets and are much smarter about when they talk to the media about their teams.

His interviews on that Toronto sports radio station (FAN590?) are pretty revealing - he has always been full of himself - and then when you get stuff like the Bill O'Reilly tweets and threatening relocation at a Retired Sens reunion game on Parliament Hill the day before the first big outdoor professional hockey game in our city... that's it. That's the depth of his personality right there. He's not a heartless monster. He's an emotionally stunted gigantic asshole.

It's easy for everyone (including me) to overlook arrogance when the team he owns is doing well and he's obviously putting money into it. But when he's starving the team, threatening fans with relocation a few years after thousands signed up to give him a liver (and he got one)... that's all that we see. We see the asshole no longer masked by the team.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

What? How has he put fans in there place? He doesn’t have any fans, that’s his problem, no one wants to support him.

Reactions: Acidrain66

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Yes EM saved our butts. His words were he is going to make Ottawa the mecca of hockey. I guess alienating your fan base, running star players out of town, and sticking his nose into everything is his version of mecca. And when Bryden did the 'same thing' to the fans he was doing it with one of the best run organizations in the NHL. He wasn't making ridiculous videos with players, he wasn't on the radio in Toronto constantly spewing his yap, he wasn't conducting forensic investigations, he wasn't running star players out of town. Under Bryden we were the model franchise competing with the big boys on a meager budget in a league without a salary cap. Under Melnyk it is the complete opposite. We're a joke.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I guarantee you that I have have a heck of lot more business acumen then you will ever have! The fact that you extol the virtues of Rod Bryden being a great business man tells us alot of what you know.
Always interesting when someone makes online put downs and includes the entire audience in their support.

Good day!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I am not sure he "saved" the team , so much as saving his investment. He apparently owed Bruce Firestone's father money, and as far as I could dig up, did not pay him either. I think it was survival mode.

Did he decide to bankrupt the team to avoid selling it to out of town interests? Not sure.

But I do know that this team went out to all interested parties, and could have easily been moved. So typing as I think, i really don't know why Bryden did not sell it. I am an Ottawa boy, but eff that, I ain't losing 100M for nobody lol. Melnyk got it before anyone else could.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's amazing the fan support the SENS have had over the years considering they've had two of the most unqualified sports owners of any city in North America.

I can agree with that. Unqualified , yes. But there are worst, or similar in all of the major league sports.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I am not sure he "saved" the team , so much as saving his investment. He apparently owed Bruce Firestone's father money, and as far as I could dig up, did not pay him either. I think it was survival mode.

Did he decide to bankrupt the team to avoid selling it to out of town interests? Not sure.

But I do know that this team went out to all interested parties, and could have easily been moved. So typing as I think, i really don't know why Bryden did not sell it. I am an Ottawa boy, but eff that, I ain't losing 100M for nobody lol. Melnyk got it before anyone else could.

Bryden was trying to get it back with the help of another billionaire. He bankrupted the team but kept ownership of the arena, and then tried to put another offer back in to buy the team, but Melnyk must have outbid him, or maybe the NHL was just tired of Bryden. It wasn't like Bryden was losing 100m. The team had lost the money and Bryden didn't help by charging the team a ridiculous lease amount to make the arena more profitable and drive up the team debt. Could be wrong but this is how I remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad