News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
f*** can we just build the god damn thing already. When the two parties in the negotiation are Melnyk and the NCC, you know things are going nowhere fast. If this was any other city there would be shovels in the ground already.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
**** can we just build the god damn thing already. When the two parties in the negotiation are Melnyk and the NCC, you know things are going nowhere fast. If this was any other city there would be shovels in the ground already.

Melnyk's financing issues are legit. He needs to secure funding and his RLG partners aren't happy with him. This is getting very interesting.

NCC deadlines and dealings are jokes. But hope we see a quicker resolution, I don't know if this will be allowed to drag on for another year.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
**** can we just build the god damn thing already. When the two parties in the negotiation are Melnyk and the NCC, you know things are going nowhere fast. If this was any other city there would be shovels in the ground already.

Read up on Edmonton. The negotiation took much longer than the build.

Could be 10 years easily before we have a new rink.

Reactions: coladin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

No other City has the NCC to contend with, only Ottawa.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Funny you say that because no other city has Eugene Melnyk to contend with either. Goes both ways.

The NCC has to justify it's existence, and over studies everything, and over reviews these same studies, and the best example is the razing of Lebreton Flats, and how long it has taken to get anything done there ...... measured in decades now, and this was well before EM entered the picture.

EM is trying to buy NCC land, and build an arena and condos ....... all without Public Funding from the City of Ottawa.

Can we say the same thing about Edmonton, or Calgary and their respective arenas .......... No, both were built with public money.

CityOpenedOwnerPublic Money?
Detroit, MI2017Downtown Development AuthorityYes
Edmonton, AB2016City of EdmontonYes
Paradise, NV2016AEG/MGMNo
Brooklyn, NY2012Brooklyn Arena Local Development Corp.Yes
Pittsburgh, PA2010Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Alleghany CountyYes
Newark, NJ2007Newark Housing AuthorityYes
Winnipeg, MB2004True North Sports & EntertainmentNo
Glendale, AZ2003City of GlendaleYes
Dallas, TX2001City of DallasYes
Columbus, OH2000Nationwide Insurance/Dispatch Publishing Group (originally)No
St. Paul, MN2000City of St. PaulYes
Toronto, ON1999Maple Leaf Sports and EntertainmentNo
Denver, CO1999Kroenke Sports and EntertainmentNo
Raleigh, NC1999Centennial AuthorityYes
Los Angeles, CA1999LA Arena Company (AEG)No
Sunrise, FL1998Broward CountyYes
Washington, DC1997Monumental Sports and EntertainmentNo
Tampa, FL1996Tampa Sports AuthorityYes
Montreal, QC1996Molson familyNo
Nashville, TN1996Sports Authority of Nashville and Davidson CountyYes
Ottawa, ON1996Capital Sports PropertiesNo
Buffalo, NY1996Erie CountyYes
Philadelphia, PA1996Comcast SpectacorNo
Vancouver, BC1995Canucks Sports and EntertainmentNo
Boston, MA1995Delaware NorthNo
St. Louis, MO1994City of St. LouisYes
Chicago, IL1994United Center Joint VentureNo
Anaheim, CA1993City of AnaheimYes
San Jose, CA1993City of San JoseYes
Calgary, AB1983City of CalgaryYes
New York, NY1968Madison Square Garden CompanyNo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The NCC has to justify it's existence, and over studies everything, and over reviews these same studies, and the best example is the razing of Lebreton Flats, and how long it has taken to get anything done there ...... measured in decades now, and this was well before EM entered the picture.

EM is trying to buy NCC land, and build an arena and condos ....... all without Public Funding from the City of Ottawa.

Can we say the same thing about Edmonton, or Calgary and their respective arenas .......... No, both were built with public money.

Pittsburgh, PA2010Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Alleghany CountyYes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Edmontons was done as part of a redevelopment in the city core and it was a very messy situation with tax payers. Plus the Rexdall centre was the oldest rink in the league besides the islanders barn and it was falling apart. A lot of tax payers didnt want to foot the bill.
Calgary has shot down any attempts by the flames to get the city to pay for a new one.

Edmonton is the only Canadian team to get public funding. Ottawa will not give them public funding and Melnyk knows this, so why bother asking?

It really feels to me like you have a group of people ready to move but Melnyk is the guy searching the couch cushions trying to find money to join.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So half the league is a YES and half the league is a NO, not sure what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that Melnyk needs the help?? We all know that he doesn't have the money.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Well that's weird.

On the one hand - If ever there was a provincial premier who would acquiesce to this kind of proposal, Doug Ford is the guy. That's your best chance ever to get something like this passed.

On the other hand - it does not speak well to Melnyk's current financial position.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well that's weird.

On the one hand - If ever there was a provincial premier who would acquiesce to this kind of proposal, Doug Ford is the guy. That's your best chance ever to get something like this passed.

On the other hand - it does not speak well to Melnyk's current financial position.

Unless I misunderstood what Melnyk hopes to do, this is a federal issue since it is about granting permanent residence to investors.

Fat chance of that happening since the previous investor immigration program was axed by Harper.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Is this basically a program to buy citizenship?
I used to work at Citizenship and Immigration.

Unless things have changed, getting citizenship is basically on a points system. If you have over $500k that you will invest in Canada, you get A LOT of points.

University degree? Lots of points.
Just GED education? You might have better luck going to a different country...

Stuff like that.

So while you can't necessarily buy citizenship, having money goes a long way towards getting it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Unless I misunderstood what Melnyk hopes to do, this is a federal issue since it is about granting permanent residence to investors.

From what I can parse from the article, it's a provincial pilot program similar to ones already in place in other provinces such as P.E.I.

"... gather support for a pilot Immigration Investor Nominee Program in Ontario “that allows passive foreign investors to secure permanent-residency status through significant investment of capital.”

"Some provinces, such as Quebec and P.E.I., have their own programs in place for any migrants who can guarantee they would invest in the province."

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So no one in Canada is willing to be swindeled by this crook so he’s looking to screw over foreign investors with the promise of citizenship?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I used to work at Citizenship and Immigration.

Unless things have changed, getting citizenship is basically on a points system. If you have over $500k that you will invest in Canada, you get A LOT of points.

University degree? Lots of points.
Just GED education? You might have better luck going to a different country...

Stuff like that.

So while you can't necessarily buy citizenship, having money goes a long way towards getting it.
Ya that's about what I assumed from my vague knowledge on the subject. Thanks for the clarification.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
From what I can parse from the article, it's a provincial pilot program similar to ones already in place in other provinces such as P.E.I.

"... gather support for a pilot Immigration Investor Nominee Program in Ontario “that allows passive foreign investors to secure permanent-residency status through significant investment of capital.”

"Some provinces, such as Quebec and P.E.I., have their own programs in place for any migrants who can guarantee they would invest in the province."

Interesting!

I knew Quebec had one but they have more leeway when it comes to immigration. Good to know other provinces also have similar programs.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Maybe he is trying to bring Bert from Berts Bar in Barbados over!!!! We are getting close to deadlines. This is going to get interesting

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I knew it, he has a clone over in Ukraine that he's been funneling money through to avoid taxes. Now he needs funding for lebreton and possibly another liver...The plan is materializing. :sarcasm:

None of this is true.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Maybe he is trying to bring Bert from Berts Bar in Barbados over!!!! We are getting close to deadlines. This is going to get interesting

Is the meeting in November considered a deadline? Or have there been other deadlines that have been made public at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad