News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Things change everyday. We do have concerns that we’ve expressed. These are very, very, very serious concerns. I don’t want to overstate or understate but they are mission critical that we resolve them.

I read this as "I need the city or province to pay for most of my arena"

Reactions: NyQuil

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I wonder if, and this is pure speculation, that there’s been another interested business party involved.

We’ve all speculated that Melnyk turned down offers, likely because they either asked for a controlling interest or they had a requirement that Euge would take a backseat in the day to day operations.

What if there’s a new potential partner that really doesn’t want much ownership at all, or any - but has a arena that needs seats filled and would be willing to spot most or all of the relocation fee to move the franchise to their barn.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I read this as "I need the city or province to pay for most of my arena"

Probably actually referring to all of the toxic cleanup costs. That's going to be a sticking point for a long time since there's arguments for three or four different parties to carry the bulk of the cost.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Probably actually referring to all of the toxic cleanup costs. That's going to be a sticking point for a long time since there's arguments for three or four different parties to carry the bulk of the cost.

It's been decided, the cost of the soil clean up is going to be deducted from the Sale price of the land.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think he is referring to the potential saturation of the condo market in the area, he complained about it before.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am wondering... Would the Lebreton project underway mean that it would be a step closer to Melnyk actually selling the club?

I got the impression that Boucher isn’t a Karlsson fan last season.

To be honest, I found Karlsson really bad defensively for most of last season but his injury surely affected him. I am starting to wonder if EK had the "PK effect". Super high skilled players with a lot of charisma and cockiness might be hard to deal with on a team. Some are not comfortable with that. PK had a lot of haters in the Habs room, but even if EK has been hard on his teammates at times, I can't believe it was anything close to PK situation.

Whatever, he's gone and it sucks.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Cyrill knows what I know....funny how he said that. There is something coming down the pipeline that should make all the haters here and I must admit myself as well, very happy.

Reactions: Silencio

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Cyrill knows what I know....funny how he said that. There is something coming down the pipeline that should make all the haters here and I must admit myself as well, very happy.
I so want you to be right. It is beginning to feel though that this is a case of if you keep saying something long enough and generic enough eventually it comes true. Again, I so hope you are right but after EK getting shipped for peanuts it sure doesn't feel that way.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Saying something is coming down the pipe isn't really some sort of bold prediction. The status quo is obviously unsustainable.

Everyone knows that Melnyk will not have this team beyond Lebreton at the latest. He will sell then at a much higher valuation.

Actually, one possible caveat. Lebreton somehow causes a huge influx of fans to return to spending money on the team. If Melnyk is making money, he keeps the team.

I see only one real way a very rapid pressure point is reached:

#1. Something in the Lebreton process causes significant delay and/or additional costs to Melnyk.

The boycott will certainly make him uncomfortable in the interim, but as others have mentioned, the hits to gate revenue can be offset somewhat by shipping out salary, and he can sustain probably low double digit million losses for a couple of years if that development is guaranteed coming on line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Yes I can no longer stand Euge, but he brought it all on himself. He is a terrible owner, a liar, and a horrible face for our franchise and city.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think that Melnyk plan, since let’s say February, has been to have the lowest team salary as possible until that Lebreton project gets done, even if it means lower gate revenues during the process, that is offset anyway by much lower salary expenditure.

Basically, stay afloat until potential to make more money and/or sell at a better price.

The real losers are us because we get to see a lot of players we liked/loved go off the team and are FORCED into that mascarade rebuild when (I supposed) most of us thought we didn’t need a rebuild but just a youth movement around Karlsson, Stone and Duchene. With all the talent that is coming up (Chabot, Tkachuk, Wolanin, Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton, White, Gustavsson, JBD, Lajoie, etc), it just made too much freaking sense.

Reactions: pzeeman

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I think that Melnyk plan, since let’s say February, has been to have the lowest team salary as possible until that Lebreton project gets done, even if it means lower gate revenues during the process, that is offset anyway by much lower salary expenditure.

Basically, stay afloat until potential to make more money and/or sell at a better price.

The real losers are us because we get to see a lot of players we liked/loved go off the team and are FORCED into that mascarade rebuild when (I supposed) most of us thought we didn’t need a rebuild but just a youth movement around Karlsson, Stone and Duchene. With all the talent that is coming up (Chabot, Tkachuk, Wolanin, Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton, White, Gustavsson, JBD, Lajoie, etc), it just made too much freaking sense.
Not that I approve of how the Sens are running things, but that group of prospects has a lot of question marks. Who knows if Brown and White become top 6 players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad