Post-Game Talk: Leafs win in Tampa! 4-3

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thought that display in the 3rd was pretty damn ugly. We completely let them take the game to us. We held on mostly because of luck. I don't think it was on merit of play that period. I didn't really see how we battled through, more that Tampa didn't get the bounce they needed, compared to when it has happened vs Teams like the Flames or Florida.

We were down to 3 experienced defenseman, one of whom needs a ton of sheltering and 2 kids with basically no experience at all

In Tampa against arguably the best team in the league trying to hold a 3rd period lead

We won 2 periods, lost 1 and gave up less than 30 shots

I'd prefer we dominated every game all game but when I look at the situation we were in I'm not unhappy with how we fought to hang on

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We were down to 3 experienced defenseman, one of whom needs a ton of sheltering and 2 kids with basically no experience at all

In Tampa against arguably the best team in the league trying to hold a 3rd period lead

I'd prefer we dominated every game all game but when I look at the situation we were in I'm not unhappy with how we fought to hang on
The forwards couldn't push play forward. I'm glad we won, but nothing about it was particularly inspiring. It showed alarming trends that have existed all year. We just managed to escape this time.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Everyone got to lay off the refs.

Not once was there a real scoring opportunity taken away, nor was there was anything really blatant.

Those calls that were supposedly missed, looked to me to be really ticky tacky marginal calls, that never should be made in the 3rd period.

The NHL game has always been like this.

:baghead:
If you say so, Mr. Walkom.

Reactions: danron1376

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
The Leafs did not register a shot on goal for 12 minutes in the 3rd.

Blaming the refs is a cop out for the players.

You honestly don't think one team getting the green light to commit any minor infraction they feel like doesn't effect the flow of the game? Tampa is a top 3 team in the league, if you give them that advantage they will absolutely run with it.

It appeared to me that the only way to slow down and contain our players was to cheat. When the other team cheats we're supposed to get a powerplay to push our advantage. That way teams won't cheat to gain the upper hand. Why do I have to explain this?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The forwards couldn't push play forward. I'm glad we won, but nothing about it was particularly inspiring. It showed alarming trends that have existed all year. We just managed to escape this time.
How about all the teams the leafs carried play, only to lose because of bad goaltending or a stellar performance from the opposing goalie? It happens both ways, that's hockey

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
It's a free country.

Being a Leafs fan as long as I have been, I feel I should be entitled to say what I like, and what I don't like.

This is not a cult.

Although I read that Globe and Mail article yesterday, the writer argued it was a cult, he made a good case!

LOL!

:nod:

That sounds like "Dubas excuse."

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
44 years out of my 47 years watching this team and they piss me off. I hate them. They play like this tonight and you say ok maybe they finally get it. Please dont do what i know you will end up doing vs Florida and s*it the bed.

Please just win

Oh here is the way they defend the 3rd. Dump it in and use your speed to pressure and force teams to defend. Chip it out vs curling back deep.

Simple hockey. Forget cute hockey in the 3rd and grind it down. Puck deep at their blue line and pucks out at ours.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019

We were PAPER thin on defence heading into the season... no room for injuries.
The fact that we're even functioning at this point says something, let alone handing a premier team their first home loss in 12 games.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That was a huge save by Vasilevskiy on Matthews near the end eh? That’s normally a goal.
Impressed we could hold on. Great team defence tonight!
You could hear the sound of it hitting the blocker even on the TV

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I hope the genius brigade at Sportsnet are noting that “Greg Millen” is trending on twitter and it reads like a HF thread lol.

Like I said in the GDT, muted the game (as usual with Millen games) halfway through the first. Very enjoyable game. Not ure what I missed but I'm glad I missed it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Now do this again next game
upload_2020-2-25_22-11-41.gif

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

"Ticky-tacky" :laugh: did you actually watch the game?

How much NHL hockey have you watched?

Even your clip you post proved my point. Did Tavares get up and complain to the ref?

No. He got taken out of the play, with a hockey play. Got shoved a little when off balanced, as the play was going the other way already. All in front of the ref.

Maybe this game is not for you.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Oh c'mon, TB wasn't really close to scoring at all in the last 10 mins. Without Muzzin I was quite impressed with the boys tonight.

Reactions: napoleon in rags

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

We actually fought through some adversity and we're the better team for 2 periods

It's hard to push play up ice when 3 of your 6 best defenseman are injured including 2 of the best 3 puck movers

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I am happy they won too

but this was not the kind of win which makes me feel all that much better about the playoffs:

upload_2020-2-25_22-12-40.png

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How about all the teams the leafs carried play, only to lose because of bad goaltending or a stellar performance from the opposing goalie? It happens both ways, that's hockey
We've also lost a bunch because we go long-periods of not getting a shot and get piled on in the 3rd. We went 10 minutes without a shot and had almost no-zone time in the 3rd. Are we honestly supposed to overlook that just because we escaped with 2 points, and then completely meltdown the next time we play the exact same way in the 3rd but manage to blow a lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad