Post-Game Talk: Leafs win in Tampa! 4-3

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
What was the deal with all the non-calls in third? Maybe the NHL is trying to push a Bruins x Leafs series again? At least 2 glaring penalties were not called.

Do you guys actually believe this is possible when you post/like this?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As I've said after the bad games, this team can compete, and win, against anyone in the league, when they come to play, compete, and are mentally strong... tonight, we were, despite another key injury, and a sag in the third... we didn't have the puck much, but we really didn't give them great opportunities either. The first two periods, particularly the second, were good periods. Nylander showed a lot of skill, but he showed a lot of drive, and hustle too.... If we could have all of our skill guys, play with as much heart, worth ethic, and drive, as Hyman, or a Connor Brown, we can be successful. Do these players have it in them, to do that every game??? Stay tuned for the next game, and see if they can do this for more than one game, or go back to lazy.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
The media conversation will now turn from Barrie still being a Leaf to "If Dubas believed in his team then why didn't he get another Defencemen at the deadline, after all they were flying off the shelves like hot cakes at a 4.20 convention"

Good effort by the buds tonight.
Just a fantastic fight by our rear ends. :clap: Big props to doll 88# especially, he tried to the fullest tonight. Should continue to do so. Tavvy the C was also a real side killa there, a real leader like moses back in his prime in the desert. Mayne that was some dry thang there.....

But yeah we DESERVE!! WE DESERVE!! FREEEDY!! FREEDY!! FREEDY!!!!!!

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nice to see the give a crap meter engage.
But Dubas needs to go get better support staff that is harder to play against.

It’s hard to maintain that intensity, and the elite teams can maintain and turn it up a notch. Still too many Malgin/Rosen trades for my liking. Not only harder to play against but endurance to play the intensity from the surrounding core pieces.
Well yes, when you're missing 6 of your regular players you get down to the "malgin's and Rosen's". that's the reality of injuries

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
What a huge win against Tampa. Marner was deadly on the penalty kill and Willie winning his puck battles. Good to see our defense survive when Muzzin busted his hand. I can't wait for our defense to get fully healthy so we can give Reilly 25 mins and Ceci a healthy scratch.
its broken:(?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
What was the deal with all the non-calls in third? Maybe the NHL is trying to push a Bruins x Leafs series again? At least 2 glaring penalties were not called.

This is what I dislike about this league. It's so obvious and blatant, the league still so backwards and littered with fossils, that you hear the commentators say "well, Leafs had the first two power plays, so you know the next one was going against the Leafs"

The question should be, "why"? Call the damn game straight. How many times does a Leaf dump it in and 2 second later he is checked, or pushed off as he tries to chase down the puck. If they keep allowing this, the best teams will be playing like the 1995 NJ Devils and the game will be trash again.

There were 3-4 non calls for interference tonight. If they called it as they did around 2006 or 2007 when they said "we are putting our foot down", there might have been 7-8. Call interference. I don't care which team or player does it, it's lazy, weak, talentless hockey.

Wait until the playoff if they keep this up. It will be like watching hockey players in mud.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
More that Tampa didn't get a tip from all there shot attempts or get one that squeaked through, especially in the last 2 minutes. They completely controlled play. I'm glad to leave with 2 points and a regulation win, and I hope Florida loses in regulation tonight. But, I didn't really leave this game feeling any better about the team than I did yesterday (not even factoring in Muzzin's potential injury).

At least they tried tonight and managed to hang on without Muzzin

Considering where we came from the last couple of days it was a gutsy effort and we didn't quit when the **** hit the fan, ill take that any day of the week

Reactions: CelticDruid

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
No complaints really with their effort. I knew that Tampa Bay would come out hard in the third. They're a top team for a reason, so of course Toronto had to work hard for that victory. Andersen didn't impress me too much, but that's been the story all season. He was just okay for me.

No complaints? pretty much every one of your posts in the GDT was a complaint!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well yes, when you're missing 6 of your regular players you get down to the "malgin's and Rosen's". that's the reality of injuries
We still need better harder support for the core. Matthews/Nylander/Spezza/Muzzin all really good tonight, but even the pieces coming back have trouble at times with the endurance of it factor on D.

Do this and they will start to turn an even bigger corner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Conversely, Tampa's third goal was a lucky bounce and arguably the first goal as well.

We missing 3/4 of our top 4 and just beat the beat team in the league. I'll take even if it did get a little sloppy at the end.
It was a bit of a lucky bounce, and also Justin Holl completely losing a battle to a 5'9 173 pound Yanni Gourde.

If you generate the number of shot attempts and chances with sustained zone-time you will get lucky bounces and goals. Only reason is we held on is we were lucky the shots didn't get deflected and Freddy got in front of them. The only person who can feel good about that 3rd is Freddy.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
First two periods were a great example of how dangerous we are when we get league average reffing.

Third period demonstrated that it's damn near impossible to be competitive when we get typical Leafs reffing.

This team was constructed by Dubas under the unfortunate assumption that this league is officiated fairly. It is not. Anyone who can't see that after this game is blind.

That has always been the problem, and I've said that the Leafs owners and management have to keep raising it with the league. I find it embarassing that a team should just get a pass, "because they called two already against them", or, "well, it's late in the game".

Be consistent and call it by the books, or just say, "we want a slow, boring, wrestling match league that nobody cares to watch".

Only league in the world that allows their best players to be hampered. You want to throw checks and fight for pucks, fine, grabbing, interfering, is not entertainment.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It was a bit of a lucky bounce, and also Justin Holl completely losing a battle to a 5'9 173 pound Yanni Gourde.

If you generate the number of shot attempts and chances with sustained zone-time you will get lucky bounces and goals. Only reason is we held on is we were lucky the shots didn't get deflected and Freddy got in front of them. The only person who can feel good about that 3rd is Freddy.

Holl was puck watching needlessly...there's already another Leaf dman to his left...he just needed to take care of business with Gourde to his right.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
At least they tried tonight and managed to hang on without Muzzin

Considering where we came from the last couple of days it was a gutsy effort and we didn't quit when the **** hit the fan, ill take that any day of the week
I thought that display in the 3rd was pretty damn ugly. We completely let them take the game to us. We held on mostly because of luck. I don't think it was on merit of play that period. I didn't really see how we battled through, more that Tampa didn't get the bounce they needed, compared to when it has happened vs Teams like the Flames or Florida.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
First two periods were a great example of how dangerous we are when we get league average reffing.

Third period demonstrated that it's damn near impossible to be competitive when we get typical Leafs reffing.

This team was constructed by Dubas under the unfortunate assumption that this league is officiated fairly. It is not. Anyone who can't see that after this game is blind.
The Leafs did not register a shot on goal for 12 minutes in the 3rd.

Blaming the refs is a cop out for the players.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
That was a huge save by Vasilevskiy on Matthews near the end eh? That’s normally a goal.
Impressed we could hold on. Great team defence tonight!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad