Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
"Why is Marincin still on the team?" For one part of the answer: See the reaction of his teammates when he scored.

I thought the Hughes push of Nylander from behind into the net on a partial breakaway was a dirtbag play and super dangerous. Then I thought I heard the commentators say the two were friends since they were kids. I don't know, I'd have a hard time considering someone who just about put an end to my NHL career a friend. If Hughes had "Gudas" on his back, he'd be going on to the carpet at the league offices.

I think Sandin is struggling with reading the game right now. It's not a skills development issue or a confidence issue. He's a real gamer with lots of upside but he could use some more AHL time once Rielly returns.

Malgin effectively replaces Trevor Moore IMO (with a little more offensive upside potential). He seems to have some two way sense. He's better than Petan and Timashov. Still not super crazy about giving up on these few harder wingers like Marchment and Grundstrom although neither one are in the NHL right now but at least Dubas seemed to have gotten value in return for those two.

With all of the injuries on defense, you'd think Barrie would be standing out more. Funny night to say this as he was a game star with 2 assists but I think Dermott and Holl are holding things together as much as anybody.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Gotta give these guys credit for stepping up and accepting the challenge after management decided they were not good enough before the TDL and told it it was up to them. That Canes game could not have come at a worse time. Win it and Dubas perhaps adds a dman and perhaps Thornton or Simmonds.

This team looks completely different when they are competing hard. Think adding Clifford has made Kappy play a foot taller. Simmonds would have given us a big punishing 3rd line that won't put up with the crap the Bruins dish out.
I don’t read it as that at all. I read it as management thought they’re much better than they’ve shown, and they already addressed team toughness with Clifford and the backup problem with Campbell. He seemingly was right on both counts if you consider the last 3 games as an indicator.

Fans wanted a blockbuster trade, but for whom and at what cost? If the leafs continue to trade and squander picks and prospects the cupboard will be left dry.

Dubas, instead of him making a knee jerk save-my-job type trade bet on himself and his players that they had more to give. They leafs forwards as a whole have been much better chipping in defensively with a depleted blue line.

Ask yourself, what would the leafs defensive reputation be if the forwards were this engaged and responsible once Rielly, Muzzin and Ceci come back? I for one think it’s a lot closer to the top of the league defensively than the bottom.

The pieces to the puzzle have always been there, it’s the putting them together that’s been the problem. Perhaps as dubas’ Chinese farmer quote indicated, maybe the injuries have been a blessing in disguise.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sounds like it came at the best time then.

Simmonds on the 3rd line. :biglaugh:

Sorry, 4th line with Goat and Cliffy.

Worse time because it caused Dubas to stand pat. Sure could be best because they stepped up and are showing what Leaf nation has been wanting to see from the group. Expectations were high and the team had disappointed too many times. Gotta keep it up until they put the Panthers down.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
"Why is Marincin still on the team?" For one part of the answer: See the reaction of his teammates when he scored.

I thought the Hughes push of Nylander from behind into the net on a partial breakaway was a dirtbag play and super dangerous. Then I thought I heard the commentators say the two were friends since they were kids. I don't know, I'd have a hard time considering someone who just about put an end to my NHL career a friend. If Hughes had "Gudas" on his back, he'd be going on to the carpet at the league offices.

I think Sandin is struggling with reading the game right now. It's not a skills development issue or a confidence issue. He's a real gamer with lots of upside but he could use some more AHL time once Rielly returns.

Malgin effectively replaces Trevor Moore IMO (with a little more offensive upside potential). He seems to have some two way sense. He's better than Petan and Timashov. Still not super crazy about giving up on these few harder wingers like Marchment and Grundstrom although neither one are in the NHL right now but at least Dubas seemed to have gotten value in return for those two.

With all of the injuries on defense, you'd think Barrie would be standing out more. Funny night to say this as he was a game star with 2 assists but I think Dermott and Holl are holding things together as much as anybody.

Hughes pushed him but I don't think the intent was to cause him to run into the post. Most players run into the goalie on that play. Nylander tried to avoid Demko and ran into the post. At least that is how I saw it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Tavares has 3 goals, 7 points in the last 5 games and has been amazing in the face-off dot...it's Marner who is MIA...4 assists in the last 5 games...1 empty net goal in the last 14 games, and 2 goals in the last 20 games.
As his centre challenges for the Rocket.

Reactions: Superstar

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Marincin had the game of his life last night!

If he keeps playing like that he can stay on the team

Reactions: Rogie

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Marner hasn’t been his usual self and is still a top line player on a team that has beat some very quality teams lately. Few years back he was on our 4th line for some games when struggling. He’s young still and I’m sure he knows he hasn’t been good. If this is him at his worst, cant wait for his best. #positivesunday?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Marner hasn’t been his usual self and is still a top line player on a team that has beat some very quality teams lately. Few years back he was on our 4th line for some games when struggling. He’s young still and I’m sure he knows he hasn’t been good. If this is him at his worst, cant wait for his best. #positivesunday?

The weird thing is, he's actually on a higher points pace than last season and just a few less goals (pace). My only beef with him is the giveaways. Personally I couldn't care less if he can score goals. His playmaking is enough on its own. It would be nice if he was a better scoring threat though to make goalies/defenders guess a little.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Marincin not only scored the game winner, he led the team in hits and blocked shots.

Happy for him. It has to be a carnival ride for him being on the Leafs sometimes.

Reactions: unitedstars87

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

Sorry if I hurt you, Martin.

I was bashing you before the 3rd period and now I'm here watching one of the best goals you have ever scored.

To make each day count!

He’s only got 5 or so so there aren’t many to choose from!

I love his face after he scored that goal though. Such a happy response

Reactions: Cobra777

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese