Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
And these numbers don't tell the whole story...folks watching the games would tell you he's getting carried by Matthews goal scoring prowess if they were being honest...if Marner was up to snuff, he would have more goals, Matthews would have more assists, the team would have more wins, and both players would have higher PPG...go watch McDavid and Draisaitl.
Mcdavid and Draisaitl are both close to 40 points over a points per game and yet are -7 and -10.... Meanwhile matthews is a +20.

Matthews has been on the ice for 20 goals more than against (even strength). Draisaitl has been on the ice for 10 more goals against than goals for. That is a 30 goal swing in favor of Matthews.

Pick your poison.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Mcdavid and Draisaitl are both close to 40 points over a points per game and yet are -7 and -10.... Meanwhile matthews is a +20.

Matthews has been on the ice for 20 goals more than against (even strength). Draisaitl has been on the ice for 10 more goals against than goals for. That is a 30 goal swing in favor of Matthews.

Pick your poison.

Matthews is awesome this season, I agree. He's the least of the Leafs' issues. I wasn't criticizing Matthews...if Marner could score goals at even 75% of Draisaitl's rate, the Leafs would be a whole lot better team and Matthews would probably be top 3 in points since they play on a line together.

The Leafs were considered Cup contenders before the season started and they are still fighting to solidify a playoff spot...the Oilers came into this season as question marks to even make the playoffs, and McDavid and Draisaitl are carrying them on their backs...the Oilers had very little depth behind their top line until they called up Yamamoto.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It always amazes me when people judge players solely on points.

I'm pretty basic, when a player is taking a regular shift, playing on both the PP & PK and is producing at greater than 1 ppg, I'm generally pretty ok with that.

Perhaps you could regale us with one of your detailed posts as to why Marner is MIA using the more sophisticated statistics?

Reactions: draeko17

Mar 26, 2010
Not just Nucks fans, I remember how the majority of HFers on the main board late last season were already declaring Elias P to be a better franchise player than Matthews was. I dont remember Boeser getting as much hype thou.
They still are. Oiler and Canucks fans HATE the Leafs and are still saying the Pettersson is better than Matthews.

Fact is, Pettersson is a career 20 odd goal scorer. Nylander is better than him.

Last edited:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Matthews is awesome this season, I agree. He's the least of the Leafs' issues. I wasn't criticizing Matthews...if Marner could score goals at even 75% of Draisaitl's rate, the Leafs would be a whole lot better team and Matthews would probably be top 3 in points since they play on a line together.

The Leafs were considered Cup contenders before the season started and they are still fighting to solidify a playoff spot...the Oilers came into this season as question marks to even make the playoffs, and McDavid and Draisaitl are carrying them on their backs...the Oilers had very little depth behind their top line until they called up Yamamoto.
The Oilers are in playoff contention because they belong to the worst division in hockey. If they were in the East they would be in Florida's situation right now fighting for the last spot.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Oilers are in playoff contention because they belong to the worst division in hockey. If they were in the East they would be in Florida's situation right now fighting for the last spot.

Yet the Leafs are so much behind Boston and Tampa Bay.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How did a post game thread turns into Oilers, McDavid and EP discussions.
Matthews is a better player than EP, esp this season.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yet the Leafs are so much behind Boston and Tampa Bay.
Yes the Leafs are behind the top 2 teams in the league, what does that have to do with Edmonton? They don't have Boston or TB in their division and if they did, they would be competing for the 3rd spot at best.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Matthews - 77 points, 45G
Marner - 64 points, 15 G

Can anyone spot the difference?

Of course. One is a goal scorer and the other is a playmaker. Also, one has played 66 games and the other 55.

Your welcome.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Of course. One is a goal scorer and the other is a playmaker. Also, one has played 66 games and the other 55.

Your welcome.
Just saying that the year Matthews missed 20 games and finished 6 points behind Marner, some wonderfully intelligent folks on here educated me that only total points (without context) at the end of the season mattered, and those 6 points was why Marner was so much better than Matthews. Staying healthy is a skill, they told me.

I am applying their own logic to the situation.

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
I'd love to say just don't do it. Just don't pick your favorite Leaf boytoys. Don't only 'ride or die' for your coveted Leaf player of the moment, even against all logic. Don't bend math and circumstance just to fit a narrative for your honeybear boo pie love thing... Just instead - pour that passion into the team dynamic, into the game that the collective squad plays.. into the Leafs as a whole.

But that's like, impossible for most people. Most people geek out and fanboy - And then we get these terrible Marner and Nylander camps - like the two always have to be diametrically opposed. Shyttttttt. Don't you see that the two of them seem to get along just fine? Maybe these two fanboy factions could learn from the example, and try to do the same.

Sorry.. I'm really not trying to tell anyone how to be a fan... but it's been hella annoying to watch and often prevents sensible analysis and discussion - just simply due to the inherent favoritism and strong biases that people feel they need to create about the players themselves.

K.. End Rant.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Just saying that the year Matthews missed 20 games and finished 6 points behind Marner, some wonderfully intelligent folks on here educated me that only total points (without context) at the end of the season mattered, and those 6 points was why Marner was so much better than Matthews. Staying healthy is a skill, they told me.

I am applying their own logic to the situation.
Anyone who said that is dumb. Marner didnt fully hit his stride until last season.

Reactions: kb

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Matthews is sneaky good on D. Best Leafs player PERIOD.

Nylander is an offensive weapon.

Marner is making himself useful keeping it simple.

Dermott has stepped up.

Hyman is our heart and soul player.

Go leafs go!!!

Reactions: Heritage

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Sandin is my takeaway from this game.

I attended live, and he impressed me a lot. I never before had a chance to watch his game live(Canucks fan from bc), and I came away very impressed.

I think he’s going to be a hell of a player.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm pretty basic, when a player is taking a regular shift, playing on both the PP & PK and is producing at greater than 1 ppg, I'm generally pretty ok with that.

Perhaps you could regale us with one of your detailed posts as to why Marner is MIA using the more sophisticated statistics?
Why would I? That's not my position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad