Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I find it odd that there are so many negative comments after a win and 3 wins in a row. Why is everyone so upset?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Matthews 1.17 ppg = "should be in Hart conversation"

Marner 1.16 ppg = "guy is missing in action"

How odd
And that is where stats and some advance stats can lead to people evaluating players wrongly. No matter that PPG there is no way they can say Marner is pkating good hockey. He looks lost out there and is having trouble with easy play. Pucks rolling on him, trippung over the blue line, his OHL passes not working. You look at Matthews and he has taken his game to a whole new level. Playing with an edge, playing 200 feet and being a threat each time on the ice

Marner just seems lost this year maybe the contract is weighing him down and all the fans hating on him and his Dad negociations could be affecting his play. Seems like a guy that cares what fans and media say.

Reactions: Superstar

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It's funny how so much drama and writing the team off yet when it's all said and done we're only 6 points back of top 5 in the league.

I feel like there were a lot of train wreck games that cost us loser points as well.

This season is just massively confusing.

Reactions: qqaz

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

How odd

I'm waiting for you to tell me that assists are the same as goals now or Marner could play centre if he wants to...:sarcasm:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And that is where stats and some advance stats can lead to people evaluating players wrongly. No matter that PPG there is no way they can say Marner is pkating good hockey. He looks lost out there and is having trouble with easy play. Pucks rolling on him, trippung over the blue line, his OHL passes not working. You look at Matthews and he has taken his game to a whole new level. Playing with an edge, playing 200 feet and being a threat each time on the ice

Marner just seems lost this year maybe the contract is weighing him down and all the fans hating on him and his Dad negociations could be affecting his play. Seems like a guy that cares what fans and media say.

Maybe not, but I can say his per game production is almost identical to an Elite #1C who has been (by all accounts) playing the best hockey of his career. I'm ok with rolling pucks and his "OHL passing" if he continues that pace.

Shame he did that toe pick last week......he's obviously lost it and may never recover. :)

Reactions: therealkoho

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm waiting for you to tell me that assists are the same as goals now or Marner could play centre if he wants to...:sarcasm:

Hmmmm, let's see.........

Last year JT plays with Marner and scores an important career high 47 goals
This year Matthews plays with Marner and scores an important career high TBD goals

Sure it's just a coincidence because Marner is MIA, and anyway, he's just a passing winger, so no real value.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Hmmmm, let's see.........

Last year JT plays with Marner and scores an important career high 47 goals
This year Matthews plays with Marner and scores an important career high TBD goals

Sure it's just a coincidence because Marner is MIA, and anyway, he's just a passing winger, so no real value.
Believe it or not Hyman is what made both of those scenarios. Take Hyman off Matthews and Marner line put him with Taveres & Nylander the tune will be very different.

From the hot shots only Taveres sacrifices for the better of the team. In case you've haven't noticed he's doing Hyman's work on his line that allows Nylander to shine.

Mathews has just started to get on board with putting compete first in his game and to be frank Marner has taken steps backwards this year on that regard.

You and everybody else can through out all the stats you want this team isn't winning squat until everybody is on board putting compete 1st.

Reactions: nobody

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

How odd

And these numbers don't tell the whole story...folks watching the games would tell you he's getting carried by Matthews goal scoring prowess if they were being honest...if Marner was up to snuff, he would have more goals, Matthews would have more assists, the team would have more wins, and both players would have higher PPG...go watch McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: nobody

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
And these numbers don't tell the whole story...folks watching the games would tell you he's getting carried by Matthews goal scoring prowess if they were being honest...if Marner was up to snuff, he would have more goals, Matthews would have more assists, the team would have more wins, and both players would have higher PPG...go watch McDavid and Draisaitl.

geepers mang give it up, you have your opinion you believe what you believe, it doesn't mean any of the rest of us has or needs to

Mitch may not be your cup of tea and that's cool, he's only a guy who's 17th in scoring in the NHL, yes that's right the entire NHL, and has somehow fluked his way to being 10th overall in assists in the entire NHL

I've been playing coaching and watching hockey since I can remember, 60 years give or take, the NHL is a tough league to play in let alone put up points in, but yet Mitch who ain't "up to snuff" seems to be doing it

Seriously is it your expectation that he be leading the league in both goals and assists?

Reactions: draeko17

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Matthews - 77 points, 45G
Marner - 64 points, 15 G

Can anyone spot the difference?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Adam Oates 25G 90A 115Pts 61 GP 1.88PPG
Brett Hull 86G 45A 131Pts 78GP 1.67PPG

Matty 1.17PPG 66GP
Mitch 1.16PPG 55GP

is this how you play this game?:laugh:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Adam Oates 25G 90A 115Pts 61 GP 1.88PPG
Brett Hull 86G 45A 131Pts 78GP 1.67PPG

Matty 1.17PPG 66GP
Mitch 1.16PPG 55GP

is this how you play this game?:laugh:
Hahahaha. Nope. The education I received from some fine posters on here told me repeatedly that points/game is meaningless, only total points. And a lot of the same fine folks told me in those Nylander threads that in no world are 20 goal scorers ever worth $7 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealkoho

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Matthew's has a much bigger defensive impact this year. Even if the offence was a tie which its not Matthew's is the better more complete player. Despite marners pk ability and what not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad