Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-2; Hyman win the winner!

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
So I'm not sure if I heard it correctly (wife was yapping along with TV) but did Friedman say he thinks Matthews will sign for 5 or 6 years and that it would not be far from McDavid's money, around 12M?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Marleau was flying like the Detroit greek god. Guy had great legs tonight.

Muzzin is just a massive, massive add by Dubas. Huge.

Sparks, looked like Andersen tonight.

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Im not trolling at all, outside of his goal he was pretty quiet, didnt generate a single scoring chance all night, he was decent with the puck on his stick but his game away from the puck needs alot of work as well as his work ethic... Still, no forecheck, gliding instead of moving his feet, poor puck support, where am I wrong here?
I tend to agree with you. He did play better in the last couple of games but is not the impact player that we perceive him to be.
More concerning is his next contract which is speculated at $11m x 5 or 12m x 6 if not more. Hey, i'm a fan of Mathews but he is not worth that kind of money based on his performance after the injury. He is certainly not in the same league of McDavid, and as is, I'm not sure he is as good as Eichel, for example.
Despite the fanfare, I hope Dubas won't overpay as I believe he did Willy.

Reactions: Cobra777

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
U want him to get suspended first week? This is the new NHL. Its jai lai, now. Where you see amazingly talented guys doing ballet. You like it or not.

Me personally. I like this Muzzin guy, he brings some mustard to the hot dog. He isn't an arse or an animal. But he is a guy you want for the playoffs.

Now lets see Mason Marchment for the last 9 games please. And lets fugging go.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The Leafs need to capture that second period and place it in a bottle. When their forwards skate and pass the puck like it's on a string, go to the tough places in front of the net, there is no team in the league that can hang with them,

That second period, from my perspective, was what this team is capable of. The Penguins were spent trying to keep up.

They were doing this night in and out earlier this season, I hope they look at the film and duplicate it every game for the reason of the season.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nice.

Now can we figure out how to beat the teams in the puckies like Detroit and Florida?

Those kinds of losses stink and we look really bad in them.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Anyone watch the Flyers-Oilers highlights?

Flyers had 3 power play goals.

Giroux kept switching back and forth between flanking the right side (the position Marner operates) and the left side (the position Matthews operates)

It gives the power play a different look each time. They scored 3 power play goals and they had different formations.

Flyers actually have bad a power play overall, so i'm not suggesting we model after them. But I'd like to see the leafs change the formation. Switch Marner and Matthews for a bit, give it a different look. The power play has become way to predictable.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I really hope they can carry this. These are the games they can play when they are working hard and putting in the effort. So much good in this. Great for Hyman getting that goal. The Tavares line was just going. Keep that trio together. It works. Heck loved the solid hit by Muzzin. He does a lot right on the ice. But it's nice to see a guy who can hit a guy hard and make players think twice before trying to carry the puck into our zone. Good on Sparks as well for being overall solid.

Please. I'm begging you Leafs. Do not pull a Detroit game against the Ducks. You can play your best even when you are playing teams that aren't great.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Great game. Matthews needed the bye week, so did Marleau. The power play still needs work though.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Sparks was great.

Matthews was great.

Kapanen was unreal.

Mitch looked back on point.

Muzzin is so solid.

Still want to see PP changes, but it is what it is with Babcock.

Also someone else said it, but no idea why we don't get the Kap-Matthews-Nylander line, seems pretty unstoppable to me.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
OK, I've got to ask

What exactly do you think Zaitsev did well?
NHL.com - Stats

Zaitsev is a quality top 4 NHL Dman, get over the false narrative that keeps LeaFlanders up all night

most hits, most blocks, 3rd in TOI, excellent PK skill, as far as i can tell his QoC numbersare top 3 on the Leafs

Dermott may pass him this year in overall effectiveness mainly because of the offense he brings, but right now only Reilly, Gardiner and maybe Muzzin is ahead of him

Last edited:
Reactions: MyBudJT

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So I'm not sure if I heard it correctly (wife was yapping along with TV) but did Friedman say he thinks Matthews will sign for 5 or 6 years and that it would not be far from McDavid's money, around 12M?
as far as i could tell as it was a little muddled ......... apparently the thought is if he goes to 7 or 8 years then McDavid money is expected

on a 5 or 6 year deal the expectation is JT money, 11ish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad