Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-2; Hyman win the winner!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
NHL.com - Stats

Zaitsev is a quality top 4 NHL Dman, get over the false narrative that keeps LeaFlanders up all night

most hits, most blocks, 3rd in TOI, excellent PK skill, as far as i can tell his QoC numbersare top 3 on the Leafs

Dermott may pass him this year in overall effectiveness mainly because of the offense he brings, but right now only Reilly, Gardiner and maybe Muzzin is ahead of him

He hits and blocks shots because he doesn't have the puck on his stick

He's 3rd in TOI and has 4 ******* points, that's because he has zero ability to absorb pressure and he can't make an outlet pass to save himself

Quality isn't the first word that springs to mind, overpaid bottom pair non puckmover is the sentence you're looking for

Reactions: WillNy29

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
as did Gardiner and Dermott all night
lol no!
NHL.com - Stats

Zaitsev is a quality top 4 NHL Dman, get over the false narrative that keeps LeaFlanders up all night

most hits, most blocks, 3rd in TOI, excellent PK skill, as far as i can tell his QoC numbersare top 3 on the Leafs

Dermott may pass him this year in overall effectiveness mainly because of the offense he brings, but right now only Reilly, Gardiner and maybe Muzzin is ahead of him

Muzzin is vastly superior as he can make a tape to tape pass as well as does not chase players all around the ice. Zaitsev misses rotations and makes bad reads. The only reason why he has gotten as much ice time as he has is that he attempts to play a physical game. Remember Babs has played other inferior D man a ton of ice time as he had no choice.

I remember when another D man had most hits and blocks and played a lot of minutes. He was traded for JVR. Seriously Zaitsev should be playing 3rd pair as Dermot is better then him as well. He is our 6th D man and if he was a left shot he would not be on the roster. Rosen is far better then him.,

Last edited:
Reactions: Macallan18

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
There's no point in comparing Zaitsev to Dermott, the quality of competition they play against and usage is at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum from one another. Sure you can make a case that Dermott is thriving in his usage, but it just blows my mind when people look at these 2 players and jump to a conclusion that Dermott is better than Zaitsev.

Leafs nation will always shit on whatever defensemen Babcock trusts enough to get this kind of usage.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There's no point in comparing Zaitsev to Dermott, the quality of competition they play against and usage is at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum from one another. Sure you can make a case that Dermott is thriving in his usage, but it just blows my mind when people look at these 2 players and jump to a conclusion that Dermott is better than Zaitsev.

Leafs nation will always **** on whatever defensemen Babcock trusts enough to get this kind of usage.

Rielly and hainsey get extreme tough usage.

Zaitsev not so much. Maybe "above average" usage.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Rielly and hainsey get extreme tough usage.

Zaitsev not so much. Maybe "above average" usage.

More than "above average". Zaitsev plays tough competition and is favoured starting in the DZ. Babcock starts Rielly in the OZ as much as he can.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Z's fairly effective at everything that doesn't involve touching the puck with his stick. Rim it off the glass and out is his only play.

But is it just me, or did he get extremely neutered this year? Is Gardiner making him nervous? Post-concussion, forgot how to hockey?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Might have been answered but what is up with Matthews not taking a single faceoff tonight. It was all Marleau. Is he still nursing an injury?

Reactions: DarkKnight

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Can't argue with a win, but I can't help but start to think that Babcock is overthinking things. Seemed every shift was a new line combo last night and he's dramatically overreacting to everything he sees.

I've been a full supporter of Babcock, and still am, but I'm starting to wonder about his micromanagement of every little thing. Sometimes a guy/line knows they messed up and won't do it again, and you don't have to rip up the whole playbook.

He's either stubbornly consistent or a total flake, and can't seem to find the reasonable middle ground.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's pretty spot on. He's scoring right now and looks good with the puck, but he's floating.
I hate to agree, but AM does look like he's floating at times out there, no way I think he's anywhere near McDavid money yet. Marner's the stud, he's a guy who busts his hump game in, game out, he's the guy I'd be trying to sign first and foremost.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Lauro

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Z's fairly effective at everything that doesn't involve touching the puck with his stick. Rim it off the glass and out is his only play.

But is it just me, or did he get extremely neutered this year? Is Gardiner making him nervous? Post-concussion, forgot how to hockey?
He's awful at making himself a passing option and reading the play. That's my biggest issue with him, the lack of support and outright awful positions be puts his partners in.

Happened with Rielly, happens with Gardiner and happened with Dermott too.

He's fine in 1on1 battle situations, arguably our best there. Outside of that he struggles though and is our worst thinking defenseman.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't see it. Marleau is the guy who stands in front of the net on that line. And he's getting hot too.
Marleau was killer last night, if he can bring that every night I'd be very happy.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The Leafs need to capture that second period and place it in a bottle. When their forwards skate and pass the puck like it's on a string, go to the tough places in front of the net, there is no team in the league that can hang with them,

That second period, from my perspective, was what this team is capable of. The Penguins were spent trying to keep up.

They were doing this night in and out earlier this season, I hope they look at the film and duplicate it every game for the reason of the season.
100% agree with this. Even when they were winning I never felt they played that well. In spurts, sure. But they always seem to play to the level of their competition. They had a really good record initially in large parts from winning games off skill. There’s another gear to Be found.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
NHL.com - Stats

Hes got Marincin-itis. I dont care what the advanced numbers say, his mistakes are catastrophic and not worth his contract.

Marty's favourite movie was launching the puck unpressurd over the glass for a penalty, or just taking bone head penalties.

Zaitsev hears a shadow coming and tosses a pizza right to the nearest opposition player.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Big win by the Leafs

Shows Babcock knows what he is doing with his lines and both the Matthews line and Tavares lines look much better and effective with AM and MM on different ones.

Leafs are also the only team when leading after 2 periods that is now 23-0 record and undefeated. That is great for the playoffs particularly try to prevent 3rd period collapses.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Probably one of their top 5 games of the season. Gave up the usual grade-A scoring chances from the slot in the 1st but they tightened up after that.

I'll take the result over most of the previous second games of back-to-backs but they've definitely had at least 5 more convincing wins, like back when the PP was clicking and they were averaging 4 goals/game.

The most important thing is that they were far more entertaining to watch than during the snoozefest against Detroit on Friday. This roster should never play a boring game.

Reactions: Cobra777

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I loved when the Crowd roared as Muzzin laid out a big hit.

Shows the fans still do like hockey as they're pretty quite during the figure skating portion of the event.

That is exactly one of the main reasons Muzzin was brought in to set an example for others to follow and show the rest of the teams that they better keep their heads on a swivel when Muzz is on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->