Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Wild - Black Friday 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
WAIT 2 PM???????
Yup. I got the half day request so I could watch it.

Hmmm, what to do. Play Murray and try to get the easier points against Minnesota or do their best to try to win both games by playing (Sh)algren first. Glad I don't have to make the decision.
I think Keefe said that Murray is starting the Minny game and either Kallgren or Samsonov will start the Pittsburgh game.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander and Matthews still do not have strong chemistry. Matthews cant read Nylander even when Nylander is working hard. If they can gel and Nylander keeps competing hard, look out. One issue i see, is they dont have any give and goes like good duo's have.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Nylander and Matthews still do not have strong chemistry. Matthews cant read Nylander even when Nylander is working hard. If they can gel and Nylander keeps competing hard, look out. One issue i see, is they dont have any give and goes like good duo's have.
They’ve had chemistry in the past, just give it some time to workout.

Matthews isn’t doing anyone any favours with his game right now, it’s not too surprising they’re struggling. He needs to get it together and become more of the dominant force we know him to be

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
So we are sitting two good players so that Simmonds can maybe fight Reaves?

Let's be honest, that is probably the only noteworthy thing Simmonds is going to do tomorrow.

We are struggling to put up offense so we put in an offensive black hole who is not even good defensively over two guys who can at least put a lot of pressure on other teams if they are not scoring?
Normally i'd agree but i can also see Reaves licking his chops at the sight of our smaller d-men with intentions of running them through the boards and into the hospital. We can't afford to lose another one, especially a regular and he'll be looking to make an impression with his new team. Hopefully Simmonds can act as enough of a deterrent that they cancel each other out.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Matthews wasn't really doing anything with Marner either, Marner was producing in spite of him rather than due to his efforts. He's just off this season and looks nowhere near the level he was at last year so far.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Important to play 5 man defense to protect the rookies. Might be a blessing in disguise and we just become elite defensively too :crossfing
Minny will work hard making them earn their education today. Any points they get is a bonus.

Reactions: saltming

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I have no idea why they keep playing Simmonds over superior players. Such a weird thing to do. This team needs offence.
Did u say this beacuse it is true or because u want Simmonds to make a hattrick? Or both?

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Kallgren actually did it earlier this month against Pittsburgh and Vancouver. I had to be more than okay with that considering the circumstances.

Exactly, the potential for injury with Murray would be my cause for concern here.
He also played the last have of the Boston game and the next night against the Canes

Reactions: Buds17

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You need Simmons in against Minnesota with Reaves on the other side.
We probably need Simmonds in the lineup against Philly too since Konecny bullies our stars when we play them too. Seriously tho what's Simmonds gonna do against Reaves? Simmonds is a big strong tough guy but he's not a heavyweight like Reaves.

I have no idea why they keep playing Simmonds over superior players. Such a weird thing to do. This team needs offence.
Agreed, one minute he's on waivers the next minute he's in the lineup because "we need toughness"

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We probably need Simmonds in the lineup against Philly too since Konecny bullies our stars when we play them too. Seriously tho what's Simmonds gonna do against Reaves? Simmonds is a big strong tough guy but he's not a heavyweight like Reaves.

Agreed, one minute he's on waivers the next minute he's in the lineup because "we need toughness"
Agree with all that.
If you want a tough team, create a tough one don't just toss one guy in as some type of response.

I've never liked adjusting your lineup for the opponent, let them adjust to you.
Keefe is a puzzling Coach.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just for reference since the start of the 2020 season:

5v5:

Matthews with Marner:
xGF%: 63.30
Goals scored/60: 4.19

Matthews with Nylander:
xGF%: 60.65
Goals scored/60: 1.97

Tavares with Marner:
xGF%: 49.72
Goals scored/60: 2.46

Tavares with Nylander:
xGF%: 56.83
Goals scored/60: 2.94

(Going back to 2019 has similar numbers)

They switched them up last season as well when they started slow but switched them back and they went on a heater and the larger sample shows just how more effective the lines are in certain setups.

With the way Marner has been playing, it's time to get Matthews going IMO.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That's not a reason to play Simmonds.

I have been
Who cares? We never worried about him before... why now?

I have been a simmonds critic for most of his leafs tenure

But I understand the logic. Minny even without Reaves has some big boys.
Duhamei is also another guy you have keep eyes on. Not sure if he's playing tonight. Then there's that Foligno guy

I would have preferred a better option than Simmonds unfortunately there are none..

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I have been

I have been a simmonds critic for most of his leafs tenure

But I understand the logic. Minny even without Reaves has some big boys.

I would have preferred a better option than Simmonds unfortunately there are none..

IIRC the Minny and Jets B2B games last year got pretty rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad